Discuss Supreme Ruler 2020 here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ghiby
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Not issuing bonds & no unemployment increase

Post by Ghiby »

hi all,

to introduce myself a bit, allow me to say that we've been chatting before a bit - on discord - I'm that loyal fan of SR 2020, even if I have all the others SR in the series, from 1936, to Great War, to Cold War to Ultimate and not last to SR 2020 Gold, even if I still have the original CD/DVD of SR2020 and don't really need the Gold version, still it comes via the Steam and I've purchased again as a sign of support

I think we've been talking at least once before with Balthagor and Kevin also, stating that I still love and play SR 2020, (not the others tho') and requesting a mod - or update - to have colonies and to change the hex names in SR 2020... you guys said it's almost impossible to make such a mod or update...

I'm still playing hours and hours on SR2020 - I also like the fact we can leave it idle in the background, to build up the country...

I have two main questions that bother me:

1. why is my finance minister still renewing bonds?
- when I locked it from bonds
- when I also have money in treasury (over 125 T)
- when I also set up priorities to "reduce regional debt" and "improve credit rating"..??..

yet, somehow, someway, even if it's locked from bonds my Finance Minister assisting me, is keep renewing bonds over and over again, month after month... this is driving me crazy, not to mention as we all know increasing my national debt and interests I have to pay around to others...

2. why is my unemployment not updating, increasing above 3% ..??.
- I have "free flow of the workforce" with neighboring countries with lower GDP than mine - so their workers should come to my country to fill my available jobs I'm thinking...
- I've just conquered Nigeria who "war-dec" me due to "saddamme" (yeah.. hehe...) and so I have over 120 Mil. extra population available to work
- also I have high immigration due to high social spending and low taxes, and high birth rates due to high family subsidize I assume
- I've limited my construction orders to only 1-2 hexes at the time

and still, my unemployment is under 2-3% and not rising, or rising extremely slow, like in fact in the background all those factors are not taken into consideration

I don't know the game-mechanics per see, I'm just a player, but I assume, it's self intuitive in many ways, if I have a high population available, new, fresh, from recently conquering a country, if I have high immigration, if I have high birth rate, then all this will lead to the high population overall, and with that in mind high numbers of workers available to work, to get jobs, as such the unemployment should increase

as we know, in SR2020, anything under 3% is unhealthy for the economy, and I have almost always a big problem with my unemployment being under 3% and me being unable to fix it

I'm also aware of the active military personnel and reserves vs. civilian workforce, so I don't keep many active military units - except some engineers needed for building - over 95% of the military is in reserve, during peacetime of course... yet, my unemployment is still constantly under 3% and that's a problem...

I like the idea in itself, of monitoring unemployment and taking steps to adjust it, but my problem is that I can't adjust it, or not fast enough, even if I think I'm taking all the right steps to do it

if I build a lot of industrial and/or military facilities, is debatable, I think I build as needed when needed, but I assume it's all related ultimately to the available population that translates into the available workforce, that translates in jobs being filled - or not - and thus, having unemployment under 3% - or above...

- this is an old issue that I've wanted to address before, but I never got around it

it's not a complaint, not a critique, I love the game, that's why I still play it after so many years... I'm just trying to understand how it works, so I can better manage my lil' country in SR2020

thank you
* Information Is Knowledge * Knowledge Is Power * Power Is Domination *
* Real power is when you have it but you don't need to use it *
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Not issuing bonds & no unemployment increase

Post by Balthagor »

A big post, so I'll have to come back to some of it later.
Ghiby wrote: Nov 27 2020 1. why is my finance minister still renewing bonds?
- when I locked it from bonds
- when I also have money in treasury (over 125 T)
- when I also set up priorities to "reduce regional debt" and "improve credit rating"..??..
Just to be clear, renewing has nothing to do with issuing. Once you have a bond, it will forever renew until it's repaid. That's how they work.

As to why your minister is not paying off bonds, the only explanation I can offer is that your minister must believe that your financial situation is not stable enough to use funds on repaying the bond. We have confirmed that the minister can repay them, the "when" is affected by many factors in the game. To go deeper into this topic would likely require a specific savegame (or multiple savegames) and analyzing the situation in the game.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ghiby
Sergeant

Post by Ghiby »

thank you for your fast reply Chris, I appreciate it...

I didn't know that once a bond is issued, it will be automatically renewed forever until paid... which is to prove I am no expert and I'm still learning about the game after all this time... hehe...

in my attempt to prevent my Finance Minister from issuing new bonds he's locked from bonds activities, as such I assume this is the main reason he's not paying back the bonds, which I was planning to do myself, manually anyway at a later time, mainly once I figure out why my country is keeping renewing bonds... hehe...

now that I know how it works, as a test and for experimental reasons, I'll unlock my Finance Minister from bonds so he can hopefully, start paying back the existing bonds, as it should... if it does eventually, then it's great, as this is how I would expect it to work based on real-life scenarios... so, I'll keep you guys posted about this...

how about my second issue, with the unemployment not rising fast enough...

I had it at one point around 1.8% or so, at a critical below 2%... with 22 Mil people my own native population, with "free flow of labor force" with all the neighboring countries with lower GDP than mine, with high immigration and high birth rate, so I'd assume a high rate of replenishing the labor force with fresh new workers to fill out my jobs...

then Nigeria war-dec on me, due to my own saddamme actions, so I can get some action going, and after conquering Nigeria, I got an extra 120 Mil. in population so plenty of people to fill in the jobs and/or military personnel... yet, the unemployment is rising at an agonizingly slow rate...

now. after 3-4 days of keeping the game on idle overnight - I don't mind it, in fact, I like the fact I can do that, since in real life too, any ruler can take time off from ruling his domains and nothing stops... so, now, after 3-4 days of idle, finally my unemployment increased a bit above 3% and I'm hoping in 1-2 days of more and more idle will be above 4% which would be a comfortable level to deal with...

I guess my question would be, is it anything I can do on my end to speed up the increase in unemployment, so I can, in turn, have enough workforce available so I can build-rebuild the country of Nigeria, I just conquered but also semi-destroyed during the war..??..

I mean is anything else other than what I am already doing, meaning:
- "free flow or workforce" agreements with neighboring countries that have a lower GDP than mine
- high immigration, high social spending, low taxes
- high birth rates, high family subsidize
- 90-95% of the military personnel in reserve - just engineers mainly deployed to help with construction efforts, so it's not like the entire military is active and deployed, with not enough civilians left to fill the jobs

if needed, I'll be glad to provide saved games files for review, no problems here, but I think my questions are touching more on the conceptual aspects and how it works or should work...

thank you
Gabe G.

[Edit by moderator - size returned to normal]
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

To your second question, it would require someone with more knowledge than me. My role is as a designer and project manager, not a coder. I do not know the intricate details of our economic engine. Even with over 1000 hours of play in SRU campaigns spanning decades in game, I've never found the need to closely follow how unemployment changes or is affected.

To complicate matters further, you're asking questions about SR2020, which I haven't played in almost 10 years. Our economic model has changed over time. Some of the developer who worked on that project are not even with the studio anymore.

Perhaps someone in the forum community will have more insight than me.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ghiby
Sergeant

Post by Ghiby »

thank you Chris for following up with me on this topic...

in the end, for gameplay sake discussion, I've managed to increase my unemployment rate to around 4.5% which is more acceptable and healthy for the country's economy, not coincidentally as in a real-life scenario also...

that's why I for one, I still play SR2020 - even if I have all the others too - because it's so close to realistic scenarios combined with the initial interface that has nothing wrong, the initial research tree that makes perfect sense, the initial military units, that are realistic enough to have fun with during gameplay and more...

it's sad - for me at least - to hear SR2020 is not a priority anymore on your Studio's list, as once again, it's one of the best in the series - no offense intended for the other following projects

if anyone - developer, coder, modder - could just mod it to allow colonies and name change on the hexagons, would really be one of THE BEST GAMES of all time in the strategy class... and I for one, I'd pay real money for such a mod or DLC...

thank you again...

Return to “General Discussion - 2020”