NEW Economy + Resource System

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

haiswell
Sergeant
Human: Yes

NEW Economy + Resource System

Post by haiswell »

Yesterday I ask a question on Discord about de Economics System you'll is going to make in the Galatic Ruler and I receive the answer that the money is going to be ignored in the new game.

In my opinion, considering what I listened in the video on youtube, it would be a terrible ideia. I mean, the economic system from SR is something that makes the game special, and makes me like so much the SR sequence; reducing it can make the new game less interesting than SRU, for example.

I think is interesting a discussion about this topic, so, I decided to create this post. Some questions: GR will have only 4 commodities? Is it going to be a no-money game for real?

Thanks!
Rosalis
Colonel

Re: NEW Economy + Resource System

Post by Rosalis »

I have yet to see someone that thinks this is a good idea, nerfing the game like that sounds very uninteresting. On the other hand games like command and conquer only have like 1-3 resources, so yeah we will see what they come up with. The big difference is that those resources were not connected with eachother. I think i red its connected in galactic ruler, which to me seems kinda lame with just 4 resources. Easy and very boring to deny ai all the resources they need it seems.

SR next gen feedback will be taken more seriously hopefully. Like bring water back for rubber. Also something i never seen someone in favor off.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

You may look into the space empires series , the best part(imo) space empires 4 had just 3 basic ressources.
Look how many currencies there are alone on this world, you really think an alien overlord would accept some printed paper in exchange for not glassing your homeplanet?
(well unless maybe it loves the art...or the paper)

Money itself is not a resource - it is rather a possible right to get some resources in the future with the risk of not getting the expected amount of the wanted resources for your monetary value at hand. There are lots of books about this, and even more opinions about it.
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
haiswell
Sergeant

Post by haiswell »

evildari wrote: Jun 11 2020 You may look into the space empires series , the best part(imo) space empires 4 had just 3 basic ressources.
Look how many currencies there are alone on this world, you really think an alien overlord would accept some printed paper in exchange for not glassing your homeplanet?
(well unless maybe it loves the art...or the paper)

Money itself is not a resource - it is rather a possible right to get some resources in the future with the risk of not getting the expected amount of the wanted resources for your monetary value at hand. There are lots of books about this, and even more opinions about it.
If an alien overlord would accept some printed paper? Common, He will have his currency, and we will accept it if we want to make exchanges.

You are partially right about the money, but it dont have only this function: in fact, thats how an intergalactical currency would appear. Money is also a unit of measurement. It makes easier to think relatively.
haiswell
Sergeant

Post by haiswell »

Rosalis wrote: Jun 11 2020 I have yet to see someone that thinks this is a good idea, nerfing the game like that sounds very uninteresting. On the other hand games like command and conquer only have like 1-3 resources, so yeah we will see what they come up with. The big difference is that those resources were not connected with eachother. I think i red its connected in galactic ruler, which to me seems kinda lame with just 4 resources. Easy and very boring to deny ai all the resources they need it seems.

SR next gen feedback will be taken more seriously hopefully. Like bring water back for rubber. Also something i never seen someone in favor off.
Exactly, uninteresting. I would say even more: if you make a more sophisticated monetary system, the experience can be even better for a command and conquer game. It expands the possibilities of financing a war.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

While we knew the decision would be controversial, we still believe we can make this change without damaging the fun of "resource management". Only time will tell and that testing is only just begun so I have no evidence to offer yet.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

If the money is kicked out of the game (which may be understandable), without other resources being introduced, it's a bad deal.
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote: Jun 13 2020 If the money is kicked out of the game (which may be understandable), without other resources being introduced, it's a bad deal.
That's only a guess until people start playing it.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote: Jun 13 2020
Zuikaku wrote: Jun 13 2020 If the money is kicked out of the game (which may be understandable), without other resources being introduced, it's a bad deal.
That's only a guess until people start playing it.
I played 4X space games for 30 years now and mostly all of them have oversimplified resource systems which in the end results in boring planets and boring economy (mineral planets are the best syndrome).
I enjoyed Space Empires because of their detailed ship design but I hated 3 resource system (organics, minerals and radioactives). Simulating 2,3 or 5 resources in the vastness of the universe is a game breaker for me. Not because of the resources per se but for the planets which are all boring and containing all the same resources.
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well, it will certainly have some differences from what we've done with SR, but I'm happy to be exploring something a bit new after 20 years of the same.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

I wish you did the same for 20 years, then demand would actually increase if you take something over. GDP/C would be fun to play arround with and we wouldnt see so many topics about inflation, which spiraled out of control for alot of players and AI.

Ofcourse there are alot of "improvements" against it, but yeah those were fun times.
haiswell
Sergeant

Post by haiswell »

Balthagor wrote: Jun 13 2020 Well, it will certainly have some differences from what we've done with SR, but I'm happy to be exploring something a bit new after 20 years of the same.
I'm very concerned about those differences make the game oversimplified; or at least focused only on military.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Based on current development progress, I'm hoping we can talk about that more by late July. Designs are great, but only testing will reveal what we've actually created...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
haiswell
Sergeant

Post by haiswell »

Balthagor wrote: Jun 19 2020 Based on current development progress, I'm hoping we can talk about that more by late July. Designs are great, but only testing will reveal what we've actually created...
I cant wait for it!
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

It's late August... Just saying in case you aren't looking at the calendar :D
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire

Return to “General Discussion - GR”