HELP EDITOR SCREWED MY MAP

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Re: HELP EDITOR SCREWED MY MAP

Post by mrgenie »

So, found the problem..

the libreoffice put a lot of ,,,,, in files where they shouldn't been. So the problem wasn't just in 1 file but multiple files..

after cleaning all the,,,,,,,, things run again.

Thanks for pointing out it must be some file Baltagor!

so to other modders, be AWARE of libreoffice.. it works.. just clean the files afterwards.
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Rosalis wrote: May 17 2020 Well im curious what your working on then, i thougt you just started with modding in SRU.

Space game from BG? I will prolly buy it on sale, play it once, get dissapointed and leave it at that. No offence but only from a major studio with tons of depth i have faith in a strategic space game. SR next gen is next version of SRU, well not certain, it might be modern times focus only. It will be after the space game, but i heard them say they thinking about hiring a new team for SR next gen in june. SR Galactic is the space game.

Dont get me wrong obviously i like the game, but just it could be way better not even by programming just making the right modding descisions, alot of them can be found in SR2020. In my opinion there was too much focus on making units and other things realistic, which then turned out to be making no sence or feel not completed or even biased towards the east. If i started now, i would prolly use alot of text files from SR2020 and update them like techs and unit database.
Well I understood that next gen is a space game with space colonization.. IF I understood it wrong, then I hope I understood it wrong.. because I honestly like earth-games.

And yes, I agree these space games should be done by big studios.. or actually, by no one. I played several in the past. I feel they are all so unrealistic and so much fantasy or wishful thinking.
I'm a mechanical engineer, sorry but what all these games present.. either we're thousands of years away from achieving that level of technology or it's simply BS not funded by any basic law of physics, but yeah, physics change over time.. so who knows.. either way, feels a lot like fantasy games to me this whole space age development.

The best we can hope for the next few hundred years is putting a few colonies in our own solar system.

the biased towards the east you're right, but that's especially in modern times. The reason for that is simple, and yes I lived many years in Russia so I know what I'm going to write here:
BG like all game studios rely on what's written on paper! Well if you believe Putin, the Lada is much better than a mercedes!
Trust me, in winter my neighbors driving LADA don't even try to start their cars while my made in EU car simply starts with the push of a button even at -40 celsius :)

That's also with their weapons. On paper it all looks amazing, truly marvelous. The S-400 can shoot down a F-35 hundreds of miles away.. wow..

and now reality, they can be glad if a S-400 can actually detect a F-35 at 60miles and plot an interception course at 30miles and actually get that missile close enough overcoming
the EWS of the F-35 to at least 1 out of 10 shots within a 30mile range actually make a hit.

Since that standard S-400 battalion to pull this off cost over 650 Million and a F-35 cost 85 million, the F-35 thus there with 8, for that price, the other 7 still out of range of the S-400 to detect them, the one actually getting close enough to let the S-400 switch on active high band for the trajectory plotting, the moment it does that the other F-35 100% take out the S-400 radar while at the same time informing all forces of NATO the exact location of the S-400 units part of the battalion..

But yeah on paper a S-400 can easily slaughter all of NATO ROFL..

Same with the Armata T-14, of course on paper a few Armata T-14 can easily slaughter the 14.000 MBT of NATO. Sure, a few Armata on paper can easily do that.
And now reality, there are so many flaws with the design still and money for further development stuck anyway.. probably the 100 Russia have won't even be able to combat 20 Challenger II.

but yeah, on paper everything in Russia is supreme..

And that's not just since the end of the cold war. We know from real tank fights also the Chechnya war and Iraqi war USSR tanks 1980+ vs US tanks 1980+
Sure on paper the Russian tanks would just slaughter all US tanks in a few minutes..

and now reality: the Russian tanks didn't stand a chance

Read the documents how they failed.. I always believe the Dutch NOS news propaganda that Arabs are idiots and that's why they performed so bad but the Russian tanks itself they were just 1000 times better than western tanks.

And then I read the real reports.. how it wasn't that Arabs are idiots, in fact Iraqi forces WELL TRAINED!

But the Russian tanks are so flawed, if they shoot a few rounds in combat training their gun tubes already start to wear out! :lol:

Americans can shoot 1000 times and the accuracy is still there..
Russian made tanks, and that's my experience also with LADA, when you buy it in the showroom it's all AMAZING and on paper the LADA is just Gold and the Mercedes is ****!"
but first time I came to Russia I asked my Girlfriend:"Wow, everyone here have a car accident, bad drivers!!!" and she asked me:"Why you think that?"
And I said:"well I know from the ADAC and ANWB that you can recognize accident cars by looking if the doors are still in place, the openings still aligned, etc, these are all so
bend and out of place..thus accident cars" and she then told me:"That's normal with our cars, after a few months already the doors start to wear down"

And then I read this also on reports from the Bundeswehr on Russian tanks they got from the DDR. Claiming:"useless!" After shooting a few training rounds you gotta replace the tube and after 50-100 the whole turret to maintain the accuracy as mentioned on paper.

So the Iraqi shooting and shooting and never hitting US tanks wasn't because they are idiots, as mentioned by NOS in NL, but in fact they just have Russian crap!

But of course, BG has to rely on the technical papers by Russia and they say 1 Russian tank can slaughter a whole US brigade in a few minutes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When it comes to Russia, better to watch real field experiences and forget what's written on paper.

Real field S-300 and S-400 tried very hard to intercept and lock on Israeli and US planes and missiles. 0% success.
Rosalis
Colonel
Human: Yes

Post by Rosalis »

Its just how you like to look at it. What you are saying about the Dutch NOS channel was created in the last Afghan war. Some party created a fake news channel and reported in English under the name of the NOS. This created alot of damage for Netherlands that views were right and hate towards moslims. I think you said earlier that Dutch doesnt fight. I guess you never heard of the 80 year war.

Its still a game, if US was so supreme, who is it gonna fight against? It wouldnt be a match like you say. And i thought you claimed to prefer balance above realism. People said the same before the war against Vietnam. What you say, is excactly what Hitler said against his generals. US military might be ok now, since Trump actually cares, but under Obama alot of US military claim it was definetely another time. Same thing for Germany under Merkel.

Russia is fine as far i am concerned, the Armata might be a bit overpowered, but you can say what you want, from winning territory too ending conflicts last years, Russia is there, its just the rest thats basicly isolated and are left with WW1 techs. To some point thats fine, but when they get picked on, Russia should take action in the game, same for US. Thats why you gonna want oversea bases after some point. Big wish of mine, share military facilities from allies for a big price. All in all its too easy to continue annexing enemies 1 by 1. I prefer countries to setup their own local spheres, pick their superpower and work from there.

Anyway we already see some interesting mods coming up in the workshop, so yeah thats great. For everyone their own taste and you can pick the best out of each and create your own.
YaYo7
Lieutenant

Post by YaYo7 »

mrgenie wrote: May 17 2020 Real field S-300 and S-400 tried very hard to intercept and lock on Israeli and US planes and missiles. 0% success.
Between Russia and the USA and between Russia and Israel, there is an agreement not to shoot at each other in Syria. No wonder that 0% success. :-)
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Ok after about 2 years i tried map editor again. First i couldnt get it to work, but after copying the backup file of the map editor i got it to work (adding resources). So maybe that can help with the cities too. So in map scenario/custom it wil create a new map for your mod, this are the backupfiles for the editor. You need to copy the mapx and the oof file from here, not the files in maps/. Those you need to replace.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

YaYo7 wrote: May 17 2020
mrgenie wrote: May 17 2020 Real field S-300 and S-400 tried very hard to intercept and lock on Israeli and US planes and missiles. 0% success.
Between Russia and the USA and between Russia and Israel, there is an agreement not to shoot at each other in Syria. No wonder that 0% success. :-)
you are misinformed. I'm talking about the "getting a lock" to plot for "interception course"

Both US and Israeli Air Force pilots reported their EWS went active informing them ground radar installation low band detected their presence.

That's for the situational awareness, nothing wrong with that. They all do that. BUT the moment a AA installation switches on X-Band, that's the one you
need for interception, for plotting the actual interception course to get your missile close enough for it's own system to plot the remaining final km
to actually hit.

And there's also nothing wrong with trying to get a lock, as long as you don't actually fire the missile! That's what the agreement is about.
The agreement doesn't say Syrian/Russian anti-Air isn't allowed to use their radar... they are allowed and do they so! And they try to get a lock on
everything in the air. But they simply don't actually launch on "friendlies"

You don't switch that on, unless you want to see if you can plot the interception course. And that one is actually the one you need to plot the interception course.

It works very sophistical but the pilot can detect if the ground station got a lock on him. It uses Fourier Analysis and quite some filtering techniques to get a convergence
criteria on the band signals which can and will be detected by the pilot. As long as the frequencies and multi phases are still randomly acquiring the basic triangulation
they did NOT get a lock. That is easy to be detected by airplane systems. The point is, they detected the Russians and Syrians both switched on these bands to try
to actually plot interception courses (if they then also fire the missile is another question) but the point is although they tried they never got a lock!

This has many reasons obviously modern planes have a lot of EWS and to get a lock on a modern F-35 the pilot has to get within 30-40miles of the S-300/S-400 radars
and even then, with EWS and maneuvering they can get out of the lock again before the missile is close enough.

Point is, they tried to get a lock and never managed to get a lock. As such, without a lock to plot the interception course, the chance to hit is 0%
OK, not 0%, if you send up 100.000 missiles each costing 10 Million USD you might get a lucky hit.

Facts is:"they tried to get a lock, and they couldn't!"
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Rosalis wrote: May 18 2020 Ok after about 2 years i tried map editor again. First i couldnt get it to work, but after copying the backup file of the map editor i got it to work (adding resources). So maybe that can help with the cities too. So in map scenario/custom it wil create a new map for your mod, this are the backupfiles for the editor. You need to copy the mapx and the oof file from here, not the files in maps/. Those you need to replace.
Yes I know that :) I do watch the "latest change time stamp" on files to verify if and which files are actually saved :)
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Ok MR Genie sorry for trying to help.
YaYo7
Lieutenant

Post by YaYo7 »

mrgenie, by no means do I want to offend you. Should send information about the bad work of the s-400 to the Ministry of Defense of Turkey, India and China. They are absolutely incompetent, spend their billions on useless trash :-) :-) :-)
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

YaYo7 wrote: May 19 2020 mrgenie, by no means do I want to offend you. Should send information about the bad work of the s-400 to the Ministry of Defense of Turkey, India and China. They are absolutely incompetent, spend their billions on useless trash :-) :-) :-)
Hold your horses.. it's not useless trash! LOL

In combination with other air defense assets, especially interceptors the systems like PAC-3, S-300, S-400, etc become very effective..
I'm talking about the scenario where everyone seems to be fixated on:"air assets vs ground to air assets"
The air assets especially the stealthy ones rule the skies then..
Simple drones can already take out s-300/S-400 if they're just there without any backup from their own air force..
That's proven in field btw, drones of Azerbaijan without problems taking out modern Russian radar systems in Armenia.. Cheap drones taking out air defense sites that cost up to a billion USD.
Because of course on paper a few dozen S-300/S-400 battalions can easily destroy the whole of NATO and Russian air force combined LOL
But the reality is, if you put all of Russian+American ground based air defenses together against both USAF and Russian Air Force..
Rest assure all these ground based systems are vapor!

Russia/Turkey/China/USA/Israel use these systems, without air support, against low-tech adversaries.. then these systems have some effectiveness..

Against modern air forces, the ground based systems alone are sitting ducks!
Russia/US/China/Israel would therefore never deploy these units outside of their own air coverage.. because against a technological advanced opponent only the ground
systems would indeed be, trash, not instantly but they'd be trashed very quickly.

But if your air battles are out there, and your air force is covering you, then these systems add greatly to the performance of your own air force..
Enemy fighter pilots get a very complex battle field where they have enemy warships with anti air capabilities, land based anti air and enemy air force..

That's where these systems add to the complexity and lethality of the air war.

air vs air is very potent..
ground vs air is only potent against technological backwards adversaries
a modern stealth plane can detect the radar signals of air defense sites long before any air defense radar can detect the stealth plane.
And guess who has a higher capability to outrun/outmaneuver a missile coming in at mach 2-3? the fighter jet that can do mach 1.5 and more
or the truck, that first needs a few minutes to pack it up and then drive away with mach 0.01?

But in the scenario air vs air AND at the same time on the ground are installations sending up those ground to air missiles..

basically these systems allow you in an air vs air where both partners are evenly matched, the fighter pilots who
have their ground to air to assist them will be victorious.. that's the whole concept of these systems.. they make the air battlefield
for the opponent so complex, pilots start to make mistakes.. there are areas ranges up to 50km where US F-35 and up to 30km where US F-22
will be shot down by a hidden S-300/S-400 .. so while the F-35/22 are fighting Su-35 all of the sudden out of nowhere comes a 48N6E2 or an 48N6DM
now where the F-35/22 had a slight edge over the Su-35 seeing them a bit earlier than the Su-35 could see them, and thus initiate the fight, first
shot by the F-35/22 all of the sudden there's incoming 48N6xx missiles coming in at mach 5+ (not this is a maximum for the missile, it doesn't
perform this speed of course over the whole trajectory) so pilots have a fair set of options here to counter the threat..

it says for instance range 200km, but it doesn't do mach 5 over 200km.. over that trajectory the average is closer to mach 2.

Anyway for the armies around these countries that deploy S-300/S-400 against low tech adversaries they on their own are very potent..
Against high-tech adversaries these systems alone are indeed basically trash, or will be trashed very quickly..

But in an air war, where air force vs air force, the ground systems add to the complexity and risk and tactics of the air war and greatly
boost the survivability of the air force that has support of their own ground forces.

Basically what I'm saying is, it's about tactics..
The tactic everyone is focused on:" ground vs air" then the ground based air defense is sitting ducks against a technological advanced opponent.
but the tactic where you intercept the enemy over your own territory with your own air force AND deploy the ground to air in this battle field, those 2 together are lethal even to an
enemy air force that's technological superior to your own air force.

So it's not trash.. but in the scenario where it's deployed in a 1 on 1 scenario against USAF it will be trashed very quickly..
That's the mistake the Armenians made. They made the mistake to deploy these systems against cheap drones without own air force covering their air defense sites..

Then you're sitting ducks.. game over..
Mewshkin
Lieutenant

Post by Mewshkin »

mrgenie wrote: May 17 2020 So, found the problem..

the libreoffice put a lot of ,,,,, in files where they shouldn't been. So the problem wasn't just in 1 file but multiple files..

after cleaning all the,,,,,,,, things run again.

Thanks for pointing out it must be some file Baltagor!

so to other modders, be AWARE of libreoffice.. it works.. just clean the files afterwards.
I've had this exact same problem, coming back to the game after the last big update.
Which specific files did you find were to blame? The most obvious ones, my .unit and .oof, look OK...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Welcome back Mewshkin! Been a while.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Mewshkin
Lieutenant

Post by Mewshkin »

Cheers! I just haven't had much to say. For, ah, 10 years.

Edit: A reinstall and swapping out the .WMDATA & .OOF files with 'vanilla' files fixed my problem, though I couldn't for the life of me see what was wrong with them.

Return to “Issues and Support”