Galactic Ruler development

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

George Geczy
General

Galactic Ruler development

Post by George Geczy »

So we're very excited to finally announce and be able to publicly discuss our upcoming title.

Although it's a secret that's been hiding in plain sight in many ways... here's a thread on BGForums from 2002 :o
viewtopic.php?t=218

A quote from past-me: "Hey, I started planning Galactic Ruler in 1985, I'm sure another decade or so won't hurt"

It was also mentioned in 2005, "Yes, way back, in the mists of history, SR2010 was to be released in late 2002, and Galatic Ruler in 2004"
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3571

Or in another thread after SR2010 was freshly released, where I said: "Somehow I have the feeling that humans will be walking on Mars before we end up getting 'Galactic Ruler' finished"

We'll be talking a lot more about Galactic Ruler in the coming weeks. We are looking forward to getting the feedback and input of our player community into the concepts, ideas, and features we're planning. So stay tuned, and join the discussion here on bgforums, or on the Steam discussion forums, or on Discord. If we stay on target we'll get GR out before Elon Musk walks on Mars.

Thanks everybody for your continued support, the ride continues.

-- George.
Snowpig
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Re: Galactic Ruler development

Post by Snowpig »

Snowpig in 2013 about SR1936 wrote:For me it is totally ok, if you make a(nother) WWII-themed game. It is not something I expected (was expecting something more future/space-themed)...
:wink:
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

HEY HEY !!!

Wish you all well.
SixthtySixthSix
Lieutenant

Post by SixthtySixthSix »

this will be the best 4x spess game ever. i have only found 2 with planetside combat for conquest, and those models will simply not compare.
i think that finally scaling the map will lead to even more fantastic products.

hurrah!
Your mouse has moved. The system has to be updated for the changes to take effect. Restart now?
Lea
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Lea »

In the name of Clarke, Weber, Abraham - will make 4X space game with true orbital mechanics, trajectory optimization assistant, gravity wells... and brainy computer opponents, of course! I'm so tired of these wormholes, hyper- and jumpdrives! I believe it should happen someday!

Too big dreams, I know. There will be many planar planets and spaces, pure abstract velocity and acceleration...
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Lea wrote: Nov 23 2019 In the name of Clarke, Weber, Abraham - will make 4X space game with true orbital mechanics, trajectory optimization assistant, gravity wells... and brainy computer opponents, of course! I'm so tired of these wormholes, hyper- and jumpdrives! I believe it should happen someday!

Too big dreams, I know. There will be many planar planets and spaces, pure abstract velocity and acceleration...
I also dream about something like it was in Elite First encounter. Planets that actually orbit the stars and moons that orbit the planets.
Please teach AI everything!
Lea
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Lea »

It would happen next morning after a game navy learn to sail on orthodromic course.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

my questions are all gonna be how the current engine and various systems are improved for this title. Many things could/should be improved and I assume many have been simply by necessity of this title.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
sulley
Sergeant

Post by sulley »

Crickey, 2002?! Hope that doesn't make you feel too old :-)

It's wonderful that you invite community support to inform development, so I have promised myself not to waste a good opportunity, and to take the time to ponder this and make some fruitful suggestions in due course.

The immediate thing that comes to mind is the need to improve ease of modding and the development of a modding toolkit fit for 2020. Players are now so accustomed to things like the Creation Kit (The Elders Scroll), workshops and plug-and-play mods, that anything short of that just seems archaic (caching!) and impossible to penetrate.

The resulting barrier to entry then stifles creativity and is a disservice to your brilliant games that just lend themselves so well to user generated content.

I too am a game developer, and it is clear to me that the approach with respect to modding is informed in large part by the operation of the engine and the way it reads and organises the data files. I fully appreciate that there may be no solution to this that doesn't require a large investment of time and resources that are better spent...actually developing the game!
CertainDeath
Sergeant

Post by CertainDeath »

For space and sci fi enthusiasts, i can only recommend Isaac Arthurs Youtube channel, if you dont know it already.
You will be overwhelmed of how much information about Science, Futurism, Space in Sci Fi Setting there is. I personally like them as bedtime storys.

He is also analyzing spacefaring problems from different approaches, as if we are bound to known physics, and there is nothing faster then light, as well as if we discovered "clarke tech" (tech indistuingishable from magic - like FTL)
// Isaac Arthur on space empires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LQU69sYd3s[/list]

common sci fi misconceptions are, that primary living and working space will be the big gravity wells (planets), which are harder to overcome. its so much cheaper to work with moons and asteroids.
// I.A. on colonizing Ceres:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqoYtBZ ... =13&t=170s

the oort cloud of an system could house quadrillions of people, while beeing some low control area with not much political interference from inner system inhabitants (the perfect place for having your anarcho syndicalists space habitats and asteroids f.e.)
// I.A. on colonizing Oort Cloud:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Bx7y0 ... dex=7&t=0s

Return to “General Discussion - GR”