What's up with the Suez Canal?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Aragos
General

Re: What's up with the Suez Canal?

Post by Aragos »

Forum--tried that, it doesnt, if you annex the canal as well. Havent tried it w/o annexing the canal.
forumname
Major
Human: Yes

Post by forumname »

Bummer.

I'll keep trying different ways to break it and 'fix' it.
provolone
Warrant Officer

Post by provolone »

If you control the Suez your maritime transport treaty value should be increased. In previous games after conquering Egypt I was unable to use the Suez as a bargaining chip.

Do you think a nation could be so despised that no one would accept nonreciprocal maritime transport treaties? Or that you would have to sweeten the deal by offering cash?
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

I seem to recall that most modern super tankers massive cargo ships and aircraft carriers cannot fit through those old canals eh?

That would probably be more trouble than it was worth to represent though.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Anthropoid wrote:I seem to recall that most modern super tankers massive cargo ships and aircraft carriers cannot fit through those old canals eh?

The Suez can accommodate anything but the largest of oil tankers. The panama on the other hand is a lot smaller and is of limited use to a lot of modern ships.

Comparing apples and oranges.. as you can see here though. The one in the Suez is a Nimitz(right side).. the one in the panama(left side).. is a smaller carrier.. . too lazy to figure out what Carrier it is though. :lol:

panama_suez.jpg
But to answer you question.. ya i guess BG figured it would be too much trouble to worry about making some canals limited to what ships can fit through.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Oh yeah, Suez is damn big isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suezmax

I guess the geology and physiography are such that it has been economical to keep enlarging it, as compared to say the Panama which is much more difficult.
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

Fistalis wrote:
Anthropoid wrote:I seem to recall that most modern super tankers massive cargo ships and aircraft carriers cannot fit through those old canals eh?

The Suez can accommodate anything but the largest of oil tankers. The panama on the other hand is a lot smaller and is of limited use to a lot of modern ships.

Comparing apples and oranges.. as you can see here though. The one in the Suez is a Nimitz(right side).. the one in the panama(left side).. is a smaller carrier.. . too lazy to figure out what Carrier it is though. :lol:

panama_suez.jpg
But to answer you question.. ya i guess BG figured it would be too much trouble to worry about making some canals limited to what ships can fit through.
It looks like the carrier on the left is an Essex class probably CV-34 Oriskany, the Forrestal's and after where too beamy for the Panama Canal they have to go all the way around the Straits of Magelian. And the Nimitz class carrier transiting the Suez Canal is doing it at high-tide, there draught's are to deep otherwise.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

Fistalis wrote:

panama_suez.jpg

The days before terorist atrmed with RPG's and mottars. May not sink it but will cause a lot of damge.
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati
Infamousjoe
Corporal

Post by Infamousjoe »

It appears that this is broken again with the latest update. Warships can not pass through the canal even if you have a sea transport treaty. I conquered Egypt and was able to move warships and subs through but as soon as I made the Suez Canal a colony, I again lost the ability to travel warships through the zone.

There is also a big pile of computer warships sitting outside of the zone
Supremo_man
Sergeant

Post by Supremo_man »

I just tested the canal on the latest build and I'm having no issues moving warships through. With or without a transit treaty. Which country are you playing as Infamous?

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”