Population growth rate

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

How does population growth feel in game?

Too fast
75%
Too slow
No votes
About right
25%

Total votes: 4
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Population growth rate

Post by Balthagor »

During development, we've had a few discussions about population growth rates, and what a good rate would be for game balance. Looking forward to SRNG, we'll also be trying to look for a realistic population growth rate, but for a space game it might be best to have balance trump realism. We've created a rough target, but feedback would be appreciated.

As a follow up question, what factors should affect +/- the rate of population growth?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Von Thoma
Warrant Officer

Re: Population growth rate

Post by Von Thoma »

I think it should depend how developed the race is ...
and the situation, when everything is available in abundance, the planet should grow faster

1.) The IQ of the planet pop ... the more stupid, the higher ... you see it here in rl :-)

2.) The more excess resources ... higher

3.) area to settle ... so people per square meter ... small value -> higher

4.) And because it is a game, we should be able to control it , with all 4 rationing sliders
And depending on the political system AND military rating, it has a stronger or weaker impact ...

At the moment I could only watch, how my planet explode and even no energy , I get more and more pop , as no habitat planet is near ... only was able to get rid of some 2 Mio per "mining planet" ...
if I would have nukes I would use them to reduce them down , to a level where I could support them :-) ... a decision our political leaders will have in about 100 years ... !
supreal
Sergeant

Post by supreal »

i think grow rate is just right. real problem comes from home planet population(500M + grow rate!).once home planet's resources run out , it is almost impossible to find/produce enough resources from other planets.in game start settings, selecting home planet population count would be great.

Agricultures should affect +/- the rate of population growth. I think war should significantly decrease population count.
Von Thoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Von Thoma »

It is even going out of control ...

found a planet from an AI with now near 6 000 000 000 , as you could imagine he is already dead of his own ...
and the stupidity is, they didn't even die because of shortage , they still grow like crazy.

My own former Mining planets starting to get slowly out of control , when they hit 100 000 000 pop ... demand of energy increases more than the energy increase ...
so it is a matter of time that even this mining planets need an own energy mining planet

SO WHAT HAVE YOU PROGRAMMED HERE, IS IT A VIRUS SIMULATOR ????

Not fun, and maybe a reason, while this game franchise, will be only for nerds !
No it isn't fun, to build every 10 year over 1000 energy plants , even it is now possible ... worse balance and terrible growth pop rate,
which couldn't be controlled with any ingame play mechanics ...
I even played to the end of the techtree to have a look , if there is anything to control that NO IT IS NOW EVEN WORSE

Do something, or this game will be not fun forever, or sell it as Virussimulator LOL
Von Thoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Von Thoma »

supreal wrote: Aug 06 2022 i think grow rate is just right. real problem comes from home planet population(500M + grow rate!).once home planet's resources run out , it is almost impossible to find/produce enough resources from other planets.in game start settings, selecting home planet population count would be great.

Agricultures should affect +/- the rate of population growth. I think war should significantly decrease population count.
Sorry, but how many years have you played ingame ? Not very long it seems ... the pop growth makes the game terrible , as you need more and more energy plants ...
and the more energy plants you have the more pop you need, who start to need more energy and grew out of control ...
all only a matter of time , and yes I know, it is realistic :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Von Thoma wrote: Aug 17 2022 Sorry, but how many years have you played ingame ? Not very long it seems ...
Please don't try to diminish the experience of other players. Each person has their feedback based on their experience.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
supreal
Sergeant

Post by supreal »

Sorry, but how many years have you played ingame ? Not very long it seems ... the pop growth makes the game terrible , as you need more and more energy plants ...
and the more energy plants you have the more pop you need, who start to need more energy and grew out of control ...
all only a matter of time , and yes I know, it is realistic :D

i have played this game almost 100 hours(most games already passed 60/70 years game time).pop growth means more population count ?? right? if you dont want more pops , EASIEST way to fix that, reduce starting pop counts.Even if Devs reduce growth rate to 0, Resource problem will still exist. :wink:
I modded game .game now starts with only 1M pops.After 60 years i have only 5M pops. This kind of mod solves resources problem very well. :-)

[Edit by moderator: put quote in quotes]
Pordy
Sergeant

Post by Pordy »

In other SR games, the population is the main source of money. And you can buy everything from money, except reservists.
But in GR there is no mediator currency between the 4 main resources.
The sole purpose of the population: generates reserve personel which can be used in military.
Every race in the game works like a true hive mind collective:
- You can build anything anywhere you want as long as you have FGD,
- No money - No inflation
- Litaracy, Unemployment? Healthcare? Crime Rate? Environment? - just words, dont have any effect, why on earth even visible in the UI?

Maybe i dont understand the game well enough, but i think that the population only good for generate reservists for unit creation.
Beside this i dont see any reason to have more pops on a planet, because there is no a mediator currency between the resources, and the AI trader (if would work as intended not the current way Ticket 31682) exchange your surplus to your needs.
Whats the difference between 1.000.000.000 and 8.000.000.000 pop on a planet? Pop growth is just a built-in resource sink.
Uncontrollable Pop growth = untenable resource need increasment over time.

Return to “General Discussion - GR”