The stealth artillary attack...kind of funny

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

The stealth artillary attack...kind of funny

Post by tkobo »

Make a line of artillery stacks ,give them some infantry lines and anti-air around them,set them all to NOT capture land.Now get them inside enemy territory and advance them into range against an enemy target ..Drop some space transports in among them to keep them supplied with ammo... and sit back and laugh.

the enemy artillery wont fire at them, because they are in enemy controlled territory.The enemy ground that comes after them will get pounded by your art,and the enemy air that comes after them will get pounded by your anti.How well this goes depends on how much enemy air they can throw at you.Enemy air is your only real threat ,and they will key on your art. Basically, you remove enemy artillery from the battle.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
CeaganP
BattleGoat Team
Human: Yes

Re: The stealth artillary attack...kind of funny

Post by CeaganP »

That's a really interesting strategy. I am surprised the artillery don't even fire at you though.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I am really hesitant to tell ya about this one...but it really needs a fix...even though i so love it.
I was thinking about the stealth art ,and decided it was too interesting a tactic to ignore,so i did more testing.

Now i did this on a pirate world,to see if it had a chance at working n a small scale first.I got a full stack of seven space transports infantry out of reserve ,i moved them far enough away that i wouldnt screw up any units i didnt want to.Then i set them all to stealth approach and loaded them into their rides.I dropped the transports onto the pirate world,as usual because the units were not unloaded yet,the pirates ignored the transports.So far so good. Then i unloaded all the infantry from the transports....so far so much better, as the infantry took no ground,the pirates ignored them.I had now successfully invaded a planet without a shot fired.

So now it was time to push things,i moved a full stack of my infantry to each pirate city in the area ,over 10 pirate cities now had a full stack of my infantry sitting in each of those 10 cities.Again as the infantry had taken no ground,the pirates ignored them.I grab selected all the stacks of infantry,and changed their status to "take ground" and all hell broke loose.It was over very fast.all cities taken, i lost like 4 units,but that was because the fires interfered with my selecting and moving the wounded units off the frontline.

Again ,i love this.I dont want to see it changed,but your going to kind of have to.

I was wondering,could you create a ground unit for each faction that was extremely hard to produce, but could still pull this off due to an ungodly stealth score, after you fix this.In small doses this would be the very fun tactic it is without breaking the combat.
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

k,found the perfect units for the above idea.The pirates have a unit called "spy" ,it looks like the only way to get this unit is to capture a pirate planet.So its a very limited supply unit.IE hard to get your hands on,and limited in numbers.
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Since i enjoy this so much ,im doing further testing.
It seems when you do this with anti -air , you can get a 5 to 1 kill ratio against the air units the enemy throws your way. The enemy does not react with anywhere near the str it does if these units were taking land, which allows your anti-air to slowly wipe out the enemy air that does respond.And i do mean slowly.

* only works as long as you can supply the anti-air via space transports loaded only with supplys , which again the enemy ignores.
* the anti-air does not seem to destack like it would if it was set to taking land.Just stays in one pile(K took about .07 , but the anti-air finally started to destack.

Testing was with one full stack of 7 space transports worth of anti-air.It seems likely you could increase your kill ratio simply by landing more anti-air units.
Chuckle TM
CeaganP
BattleGoat Team
Human: Yes

Post by CeaganP »

That would be a very interesting unit, stealth so high that it can get nearly anywhere just for capturing cities. Interesting. What would the spy be for again, reproducing what you're doing but naturally?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Yea.
Youve pretty much got to make enemy units react to units that dont take ground.The ai cant complain ,but when a player who was unaware of this has it happen to them, and it will :P Your going to have an annoyed player.So you really have to fix this.

Now, saying you fix this, its a really fun and useful tactic, so when you fix it for normal units,creating a non-normal unit that is in very short supply that can do this ,would be a big plus for game play. Having half your world,that your not currenntly watching ,as your busy on 4 other worlds, get conquered by many many stacks of units set to not take land most likely will equal pissed off player.BUT having an enemy use this tactic for 2 maybe 3 stacks of a special hard to get your hands on unit ,fun while not rage worthly.

the spy unit as far ive seen so far,is a pirate only unit ,in short supply and pretty much only gettable via taking a pirate world.If the spy unit was re-stat-ed so if could do this , it would be a good a great choice to allow this tactic on a very small scale.And it might make the pirate factions themselves a bit more fun, if the pirate AI used them as above.
Chuckle TM

Return to “General Discussion - GR”