Early Access Gameplay - How to play the game so far...

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Early Access Gameplay - How to play the game so far...

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks to everyone who's already purchased the game. It's very exciting to have users digging into the game while we still work on it.

I've also realized, it creates some interesting challenges. We lack a tutorial, a manual, and lots of in game feedback is not yet set up. To help this process along, I'm starting this thread. I'm going to try and outline what you can expect you can do in the game and the "most direct path" that exists right now for the game.

[I'll come back to fill more of this part of the post after I catch up on a few message threads...]
- Change between planet/system/galaxy level with the up arrow symbol, top left
- Control game speed by increasing/decreasing the value in the top left or click on the speed bars to go directly to a setting.
- Your faction symbol is in the top right. Click it to come back to your system or your planet when your camera is elsewhere in the galaxy.
- Your faction begins with a bit of military on planet and in space. Look for the reserves in the Command department.
- To easily select a unit from anywhere, put it in a battlegroup. With a unit selected, Hotkey <CTRL+1> will create the group. Hotkey <CTRL+SHIFT+1> will add to a group. Hotkey <1> will recall it. Groups 0-9 match up with the keyboard numbers.
- Early ships are "system bound", not FTL, cannot leave the system
- To visit other systems, research FTL technology. In research, you need Advanced Computing, then Interstellar Travel. That will give you access to a few FTL options.
- There is a known bug in research. The first time you select Available, you see units, not technologies.
- Units are not researched. Completing a technology automatically grants you the designs for your regions which use the technology as a prerequisite.
- Only certain space units can "drop down" to a planet's surface. When trying to colonize, brining units to the surface before issuing the order may make the process clearer. Use battlegroups/hotkeys to select units across levels.

My hope is that by giving these tips, you can get the most out of what the game is now, and be able to imagine what more you'd like to see us develop. For now the direct path is very narrow. We plan to widen it with interesting gameplay and fun experiences that will bring the game framework we've built into a living thing.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General
Human: Yes

Re: Early Access Gameplay - How to play the game so far...

Post by Draken »

So far I liked it... Still getting used to the simplification of some of the elements and the introduction of a few new others.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire

Return to “General Discussion - GR”