Ask the devs thread

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

SixthtySixthSix
Lieutenant

Re: Ask the devs thread

Post by SixthtySixthSix »

Kristijonas wrote: Oct 25 2019 Just my opinion:
I think you are making a big mistake by making the game depend on random map generator. The SR games are already rather characterless, but now it will be over the top in this regard. As devs you are briliant at some places, but giving : snip :
ooh so happy to have unique planets, especially in a real-time, purely procedurally-generated, persistent multiplayer universe hosted by BG that we all have an empire on... and try to kill each other. :D
Your mouse has moved. The system has to be updated for the changes to take effect. Restart now?
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Post by GIJoe597 »

SixthtySixthSix wrote: Oct 27 2019 ooh so happy to have unique planets, especially in a real-time, purely procedurally-generated, persistent multiplayer universe hosted by BG that we all have an empire on... and try to kill each other. :D
May I ask, where did you get the information it is a persistent multiplayer universe hosted by BG?
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

There will not be a persistent multiplayer universe. If we had that, procedural generation would be unnecessary. They don't really go together. Also, we don't have that kind of budget.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SixthtySixthSix
Lieutenant

Post by SixthtySixthSix »

Balthagor wrote: Oct 28 2019 There will not be a persistent multiplayer universe. If we had that, procedural generation would be unnecessary. They don't really go together. Also, we don't have that kind of budget.
you would certainly need procedural generation if the hypothetical, speculative wish-list-type persistent multiplayer univverse were boundless, eh? just saying... George could have his 'admin' empire, for 'testing'... all of the team could be vassal states... :D
Your mouse has moved. The system has to be updated for the changes to take effect. Restart now?
Fistalis
General

Re: Good luck with Galactic Ruler

Post by Fistalis »

George Geczy wrote: Oct 22 2019
Snowpig wrote: Oct 19 2019 Another question from me: are you going to re-use your SR*-game engine or are you building GR „from scratch“?
Both - we are building upon the existing SR engine, especially for the planet-side tactical system, but are also adding a number of new elements for GR.
Im assuming the Old engine is primarily being used for on planet combat.. and a rebuilt and revamped engine for the galactic part since the old engine wouldn't lend itself well to just be used as such without modification. Not to say the plantetary combat one hasn't been/won't be heavily modified but the galactic one is likely rebuilt specifically for it's new purpose... doubt from scratch but likely a complete revamp.
Balthagor wrote: Oct 28 2019 There will not be a persistent multiplayer universe. If we had that, procedural generation would be unnecessary. They don't really go together. Also, we don't have that kind of budget.
As awesome as that would be it's understandably outside the scope of what we should expect from a very small independant studio. That being said I assume there will be even more improvements to multiplayer. I would ask to look into Joining while in progress and other "small" conveniences many if not most of us have grown used to in modern multiplayer. Easier direct 1to1 chat etc.

Hey look you posted something that actually got me to reappear... :wink: albeit over a month later.. if i hadn't decided to check the forums i would have never known..maybe use those forum Emails and let people know or figure something to get the word out, how many people are fans of the series but never check the forums??. :D
As usual BG studios will have my morale and financial support as i will be buying this game. That being said if there is anything else you all need help with don't be afraid to ask.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

Do you plan to implement planetary ground combat/maps/development as well?
Breznev
Lieutenant

Post by Breznev »

Is there a possibility to make previous games or previous versions ( SR2010 ,SR2020, SRU , SRCW )?
Open source copies
Von Thoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Von Thoma »

As a long time player, even bought the first game 2005 per surface mail for over 100 USD, because of tax and fees :-O
so my problem with the game mechanics has always been that the AI wasn't able to handle the stacks and to support them, so the pathing for all units only produced a traffic jam

So please make that later introduced "stack management" stronger ... more that, the stacks are more like a Division and that they will NEVER split , so the AI and we are only able to move that Divisions around and never single units !!!
or the old problems will occur once again.

When the AI is only able to move Divisions (7 units) around , there could be PRE DESIGNED containers, where there are enough supply units included , so they will very "seldom" run out of it. In the supreme game, they ALWAYS ran out of petrol and ammu :-( and because of that pathing broke down and later even economy ...
... SO NO MORE MOVE single units around, it ruined the whole franchise ! and in my opinion the reason why the games have been always underrated and didn't received the attention they deserve, because they are better than that simple paradox games !

Hope this will change in the new game, or it is already too late ?

Anyway wish you luck and success
ALEX "Von Thoma"
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Nice to add a cpl of WW1 techs, but all medium to small regions are researching military aviation as first tech, a 1918 tech in modern scenarios. Where is Micronesia and Maldives building their air production sites? Space?
Felius
Warrant Officer

Post by Felius »

Given that the relative timeline of the game would likely need to last longer than previous Supreme Ruler games, how do you plan to handle the current inability of the AI to handle keeping their economy afloat, specially if they managed to successful conquer more territory than a little bit.

Or rather, right now, 10-15 years in the games in Ultimate, the only AI countries with a economy not completely in the sink or heading there (unless the player is directly and actively propping them up, of course) are the ones that managed to avoid conquering stuff: Countries that waged war and conquered their neighbors seem to nearly always fall into a death spiral of debt and costs, which is only compounded by the AI lack of willingness to repair most of their conquered facilities (which would be costly in the short term, but the higher production of the repaired facility nearly always would pay for it too) and their increase military production capabilities (which both costs them more due to actual unit production and then afterwards because they have to maintain those units and it's rather rare for the AI to actually drop outdated units, let alone up-to-date units they simply can't afford).

This is not necessarily too bad of an issue for Supreme Ruler, as the theoretical focus is not on lasting games about peaceful development inter spaced with war, but about conquest for the sake conquest.

Given that that in a space 4x, this isn't as true, and there's nearly always an inevitable focus on exploration, expansion and developing your own economy and colonies, it comes to attention the issue of the AI handling this issue? What are the preliminary plans to handle that? Rebuilding the AI? Allowing the possibility of giving the AI "cheats" for the economy so it doesn't crash and burn? Doing like Aurora 4X, with the map being generated as you explore, and thus new AIs being only generated when you discover them, thus allowing them to be created in a stable, or at least not heading for economical doom in short order?
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Here's a thing..

This game is designed to use random maps.. I don't like that. I'm honestly a realism type of guy..

Can you at least support the idea to MOD maps of our own.. let's say the current SRU earth map becomes earth..
Then we can use data from NASA and other sources for real maps of Mars, Venus, Neptune but also planets in other stars.. (although we haven't mapped them yet since we can't peek through the solar winds) we have a fair good idea if they're earth-like, mars-like, etc..

I'd rather not have a huge galaxy (CPU bottleneck) but rather have our solar system, a few other star-systems.. total of let's say 20 or 30 planets..

earth is where the nations start.. in 1912..

more focus on nation building..

and then the event of Musk Starlink, Musk SpaceX, Musk Falcon, etc.. and leading to colonizing the solar system and beyond..

I'd mod that if you gave the possibility to do this..

also, I love the AI tactics in SRU.. it's solid and well evolved over the decades.. please include all AI tactics of SRU for planetary warfare..
And just add additional AI tactics for the space-extension.. but planetary keep the current engine and just continue to improve it..

That's my thoughts on the upcoming game..

especially make it able to mod a lot more than SRU.. especially the nation-building and long-term gaming.. where you really from pre-WWI start
all the way through space exploration..

IS that doable?

Basically I'm going all British here:"you give us the tools (mod-tools & game engine) and we'll finish the job" hehe
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906

Return to “General Discussion - GR”