Map editing help

Have a question about how to mod something? Or have an issue with one of our mod tools? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

kostash
Private
Human: Yes

Map editing help

Post by kostash »

Hi guys , I am having a problem with map editing. When I edit a scenario for GC2020 in order to change the resources , after I recache for modding , the leaders are changed from real to generic the diplomatic relations are changed and all countries start with no units. Does anyone know how I can edit the resources on the map for GC 2020 without changing anything else ?
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Map editing help

Post by evildari »

well i managed to have all the leaders, countries, and probably relations - for whatever reason my changes to resources were not visible - although loading the map in the editor worked.
1. copied Globalcrisis.scenario and folder in Sandbox to a new name
2. in the .scenario file added a letter to the mapfile and savfile, and copied GC2020.mapx to this new filename including the .mapx extension
3. put that .scenario into custom folder to be able to edit map
4. edited resources and saved it
5. copied that the changed map file (checked timestamp to be sure it was the right one with changes) also to the root maps folder
6. cached sandbox and also the custom scenario files
7. both locations (sandbox and custom scenario) my map changes are not visible
8. checked the map file in editor that it was Ok -and my changes were visible in editor
9. another round of caching - no visible results of my resource change
(...even my first hack at the mapeditor was much more successful...)
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

I had issues, i think it needs both map files in your custom folder to save correctly. .mapx and .oof. After that i fixed it for my own mod (after copying them back). i cant explain the logic, but it should work.

Not sure about the leaders tho, also had issues with that, but it might be fixed if you follow evildari's steps. I still have issue with leaders in World 2020 so i guess ill take a look soon. I actually prefered the made up leaders in my last game. Lots of liberating and colonising playing every country. Communism rules the world in that game hehe.

Make sure you have this line in your scenario file :
#include "Modern.csv", "COMMON\"

This should load 2 files one of them being the leaders. The other one is ISIS and Kurdistan setup so thats maybe why you might have removed it. Actually recaching vanilla global crisis now.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

Rosalis wrote: Mar 20 2021 I had issues, i think it needs both map files in your custom folder to save correctly. .mapx and .oof. After that i fixed it for my own mod (after copying them back). i cant explain the logic, but it should work.
Thank you for your suggestion Rosalis, unfortunately this also did not work.
Although logic-wise this should not work since in the .oof are only facilities.
Tried several ways:
put in root maps folder, in maps subfolder of the sandbox - scenario folder (that new workshopstyle modding BG implemented a while ago),
and left in the custom scenario folder as is -
only loading in map editor works...
if i get my morale back ill try an older executable version - maybe there are more issues than the not-saving of hex-size in the latest version...
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Hmm strange, i will try later.

Vanilla global crisis recached succefully with leaders, so that shouldnt be a problem.
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Ok so after spending my saterday trying hundreds of times i couldnt get it to work. For world 2020 i had no issues and it saved my resource changes without issues. I can do the same for GC2020 but with issues, like i can only play with Sweden. There is something weird going on with that scenario. Those #Include .... event files seem to have issues for global crisis. Maybe its loading regions it shouldnt or something. Im just confused, like vanilla global crisis you can recache without issues, so why i have problems with regions showing in the loading list when i never touched any of those relevant files...

EDIT: Actually i tried 1 more time and it worked, so maybe try W2020 first and after that GC2020.

1.Copy scenario file in custom folder
2.Startup mapeditor
3.after you saved your changes copy those files from the map created in custom back into /Maps
4.remove the cache file from the cache folder (dont trust the ingame "force cache" option)
5.in the scenario file change #include "W2020.OOB", "MAPS\ORBATS\" into #include "NOUNIT.OOB", "MAPS\ORBATS\" for fast testing
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

Used a new cache filename - but also tried it with manual deletion.
Also same result or rather no results.
In my experience force recache usually worked everytime!

also commented the oob file out using // thats the quickest way (saves caching time) to test almost everything besides .oob changes.

total weird - at least in my other map project i dont have this weird issue
ill give up on my evilcrisis (must be bad karma with such a name : :roll: )
and hope that the OP could find some useful tips
my mods

Return to “Modding Issues & Support”