DEFAULT.PICNUMS problem

Have a question about how to mod something? Or have an issue with one of our mod tools? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

DEFAULT.PICNUMS problem

Post by Uriens »

I think i ran into a bug in how game handles DEFAULT.PICNUMS file. As mentioned (and recommended) in supremewiki you can rename DEFAULT.PICNUMS to something else like TEST.PICNUMS and point to that file in allload.ini (testallload.ini actually for the same reason DEFAULT.PICNUMS should be renamed in mod). Scenario file is changed to load testallload instead of default allload ini file, ofc.
Problem is what happens after you do that.

When you create a new facility (didn't test units) and add it to that TEST.PICNUMS in correct format it will work fine in map editor, it will also work fine right after you create cache BUT when you start new game or load a game there will be no meshes for new facilities. However, if you add those new facilities to DEFAULT.PICNUMS then they show normally in game. This means that game reads DEFAULT.PICNUMS, not the file pointed in allload.ini as it should. Interesting that it works correctly in map editor and after caching is done though. By "Doesn't work" i mean that the meshes for new facilities are not drawn in game - invisible facilities if you like.

This ofc creates a compatibility problem with other mods and every update or file integrity verification will override existing DEFAULT.PICNUMS to the default one.

to sum it up

TestAllload.ini --> TEST.PICNUMS: Map editor (WORKS), Caching (WORKS), New or existing game (DOESN'T WORK)
TestAllload.ini --> DEFAULT.PICNUMS: Map editor (WORKS), Caching (WORKS), New or existing game (WORKS)

My guess is that there is error in code that makes game look for default file and ignores the one pointed in allload.ini file.
Bug doesn't exist in map editor, tested.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: DEFAULT.PICNUMS problem

Post by Balthagor »

Noted
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

had a similar issue with loading of a custom .terx file both in game and mapeditor
a few "solutions" so far:
1. comment out default.terx or replace alload.ini as uriens described , seems to work in game in mapeditor not
2. additionally rename / delete default.terx - this worked quit well (with a copy of game folder), but will totally mess vanilla scenarios
3. use modded default.terx - will mess other scenarios too - but at least one doesnt have to change scenario and ini files.

looks like a hardcoded piece of code
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

See this thread for solution to this issue.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

Using those new folder in the "alload.ini" threads and the wiki - i managed to have almost all files neat in same place.
But i have an issue about using new additional(no replacement just more for new units) meshes together with original meshes.
It seem that only one of the meshes folder can be used - also tried using the default.picnums and an added custom picnums file - but that also did not work.
what would be the recommended way to enable the use of custom meshes and textures in the modfolder and the original ones in the games folder?
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)

Return to “Modding Issues & Support”