Ships not using "faster" naval tiles

Have a question about how to mod something? Or have an issue with one of our mod tools? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

evildari
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Ships not using "faster" naval tiles

Post by evildari »

found this issue while modding terrain file and testing a custom map:

ships are not using faster (=less movement costs) terrain.

Code: Select all

Space		0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0			4		1	1	0	0								Y						448	0	32	32
Trade Lane	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0	0			1		1	1	0	0								Y						352	0	32	32
in my example: i made a several straight lines of the terrain "Trade Lane", the ship was located at one end of it, gave orders to move to the other end (maybe 20 hexes) - the ship started to move , the increased speed of that terrain also worked,
but after 5-7 hexes the ship moves usually one hex to the side and continues on the slow "Space" Terrain, only at the designated end of my movement order it moves to the final right hex.
Also tried it with different changes in the roe settings like fastest / direct route - nothing worked.

The only way that units could calculate the fastest path was changing all to NON-naval tiles and make the ships land units...
My question is: is there any way to make the game force the naval pathfinding use a similar quickest route algorithm like for land units ?
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Ships not using "faster" naval tiles

Post by Uriens »

This isn't just naval pathfinding. Amphibious units very often go into river tiles when choosing destination. In fact, if you send amphibious unit toward something 2 tiles away and it has 2 possible choices one of them being river while another is road - its actually surprising how often a unit will chose river tile. To be honest, amphibious units should avoid river tiles like its molten lava unless its absolutely necessary to go there in order to reach that destination or that destination is in enemy territory.

Moreover, i have noticed that some patches ago units will 'speed up' to cross over hexes that already have 7 units or more and when they 'speed up' sometimes they appear to go 'offroad' which again can be river tile. I actually had lost several units that went offroad into river right next to enemy units because of this. Unit behavior before that change was way better.

Return to “Modding Issues & Support”