Maps Literally un-edit themselves.

Have a question about how to mod something? Or have an issue with one of our mod tools? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

Traslogan
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Maps Literally un-edit themselves.

Post by Traslogan »

So I've been editing some maps to either do some rebalancing on my own or just to add natural resources from real life, and I had added some facilities onto the 2020 Global Crisis scenario map.
However, after a recache, it has literally un-edited the scenario, it keeps resource changes and hex ownership changes but it literally deletes facilities that I add and adds facilities that I deleted.

Is there some way around this? I literally cannot edit certain scenarios because they remove certain types of edits on their own.
Rosalis
Colonel

Re: Maps Literally un-edit themselves.

Post by Rosalis »

Personally i have problems with saving resource changes. The rest im still doing it the old ways, because thinking you change something and then it doesnt work, well that isnt helpfull.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This sounds like a file naming error that can occur if you try to modify existing maps using the modding tools. There are some standards that the mapeditor follows that did not exist when we created maps originally.

It sounds like whatever map you are editing, the .MAPX file and .OOF file have different file names. You can confirm this in the .scenario file. This is fine, if editing manually, or if you rename your files after editing. When the mapeditor saves, it MUST follow the rule of the same name for both the .MAPX file and the .OOF file.

So what's happening is, you open name1.MAPX and name2.OOF. You make changes. You save. The mapeditor saves name1.MAPX and name1.OOF. If you look in your folders and compare time/date stamps you likely have an extra .OOF file. If you rename that .OOF to whatever name the game expects (based on the .scenario file) then all your changes should be there.

This is all caused by the fact that we used the tools in very rough shape for many years and then cleaned them up for release after development of most maps was completed.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

Hmm I guess it's because Global Crisis is abbreviated to GC in some cases and in some cases it isn't. I'll try finding the spare files
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

Yeah the problem seems to be the Global Crisis Scenario saves a new .OOF as GlobalCrisis.OOF but the original is GC2020.OOF
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You could make your life easy but just creating a new .scenario file for your mode. Copy the GC file and make the filename change. Then you can also use your own cache file name. Makes it easy to share with others without corrupting original game files.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Traslogan
Lieutenant

Post by Traslogan »

Yeah sounds more logical in the future. I've been avoiding doing my own in any form just because the scenario editor still never boots up for me when I click it from the content editor startup screen, so I only have access to the map editor.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You could just edit the files by hand, they aren't overly complicated.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Modding Issues & Support”