[MOD] Supreme Ruler Remastered - UPDATED and MODIFIED

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Arahatree
Lt. Colonel
Human: Yes

[MOD] Supreme Ruler Remastered - UPDATED and MODIFIED

Post by Arahatree »

Hello to all!

I have being trying to get in contact with Cyrus Jackson, the original creator of the mod Supreme Ruler Remastered. But after many days i didn't get any reply, so i updated his mod to the version 9.2.5. And i also modified it to what i consider is more realistic.

CHARACTERISTICS AND DIFFERENCES FROM THE ORIGINAL MOD:
- As close as vanilla possible: This way anybody can change it for whatever he wants. But i made a change to make it more historical and realistic: ASW capabilities are removed from early submarines that were historically unable to sink other submarines, since by then the homing torpedoes didn't exist and their purpose was to attack convoys. For all the rest of submarines, from cold war ahead, i didn't modify their ASW capabilities.
- Highest possible compatibility with other mods: It's compatible with all my other mods, with all Evildari mods, and probably with most mods from other modders, like the AIparams file from Zuikaku. I'm not including Zuikaku's mod in this one because there could be players that don't like that mod. For the players that like that mod, they can still install it because this one is compatible. I'm playing all at the same time and there's no issues.
- The more units the better: I keep the aditional units that Cyrus Jackson made for this mod (3d models included), and also i'm including all vanilla untis that Cyrus Jackson eliminated from his mod (like Guerrilla units).
- ALL 3D MODELS, AND UPDATED: This mod is the compilation of 3d units from Nerei, Russ1000 and Eug_Begonia. But now it has more 3d models from Nerei, because Cyrus Jackson didn't update this mod for a year and lots of new 3d models have being published by Nerei. All of them are in this mod now and i will include and update the new 3d models that he publishes in the future (if he doesn't reject my request, off course).
- No modifications to vanilla buildings: I reverted those modifications to vanilla. Vanilla is very balanced in that aspect.
- No modifications to AA for ground units: The original mod lowered these values to almost nothing, but in real life MANPADS are very effective and powerful (specially in the cold war), so vanilla is balanced in this aspect and i reverted changes to vanilla.
- Modern planes with standoff weapons: I reverted these values to vanilla, because for standoff purposes we have Air-to-ground missiles, and vanilla AI are using them very well. If i don't do this, almost all missiles in the game for aircraft would become pointless :-?
- No changes to maps, scenarios or sandbox: all those will be vanilla. If someone later wants to do those changes, this mod will be compatible with his modifications.
- Some units are now regiments: To avoid micromanagement, lag, and constant attention to repair and other issues, the main units now have being converted to regiments. In order to keep a more realistic pace of battle that allows pincer movement, blitzkrieg, strategic bombing, etc. now ground defense, close defense, indirect defense and tacAirDefense have being multiplied x10. The rest of combat stats remain the same. The units afected are: Inf, Tanks and AT.
- The units converted to regiments (according to historical division designs) are: Inf, Tanks, AT, Artillery. Also Air transport, in order to be able to load in cargo airborne ground units. Ground transport, because this way you don't need a whole bunch of transports for blitzkrieg and AI will be more competitive in lack of supplies terrain.
- Units not converted to regiments: Recon remain as battalion units, because historically nobody has a regiment of recon in their division. The same for Air defense.
- No lag caused by too many units on map: Since units now are regiment size, many of their characteristics are multiplied x3, to produce them is more expensive in money, military goods and personnel. This reduces the quantity of units on map. But i didn't modify days to build, because 2 years for a tank unit is too much waiting (a brigade is produced as 3 battalions in parallel).
- Wars are more bloody and expensive: More manpower is required, because units personnel are x3 and their resources to produce are also x3, plus units stay longer time fighting each other because of their defenses are x10, so now wars are more expensive. I made tests North Korea vs South Korea (i let them play AI vs AI): 6 months of war. North korea spent 2billion dollars and got ruined at the end of the war. South Korea was able to save its economy, because it had better relations with countries that have good industrial capacity. Now it's useful to get a good stock of military goods before declaring war. Strategic bombing and artillery has become more expensive and realistic, and the AI manage it well.
- Strategic bombers are also x3 in Fortification attack and resources. This way strategic bombing requires less micromanagement and has the same effect as bombing 3 times the same building.
- All the rest of characteristics that the original mod had are removed: If anyone wants to add all those, this mod is compatible, there's no problem. This way players design the game anyway they want.

The credits of this mod and special thanks go to:

- Cyrus Jackson: he's the original modder
- Nerei: for his 3d models that this mod includes and also for his willingness to help.
- Russ1000 and Eug_Begonia, because this mod is also a compilation of their work.
(i'm sorry that I can't include Zuikaku in the credits, because i don't include his mod here, but his mod is compatible with this one :-) This way, keeping compatibility, players can choose a more personal configuration of mods). But i also give him thanks because his AIparams file is a very good idea to improve AI.

INSTALLATION:
Unpack into the main folder Supreme Ruler Ultimate and overwrite (make backup first), the files are already ordered in the right folders, so every file will be installed where it belongs.

IT NEEDS TO RECACHE:
Every single sandbox and scenario needs to recache, because the DEFAULT.UNIT is different from vanilla.

Finally, the mod is here. Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fWnS6r ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Arahatree on Dec 08 2020, edited 3 times in total.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Re: [MOD-Upcoming] Supreme Ruler Remastered - UPDATED and MODIFIED

Post by mrgenie »

Should make a ModPack of Units/Maps/GUI.. an all in one - package..

Did this also for Civilization IV ..

Because a lot of users find it hard to put mods properly together..

And in fact, I know quite a few mod-pack builders also putting stuff together wrongly..

That's where I started to mod, helping these mod-pack builders with their Crash to Desktop and before I knew it I was doing
requests like Land and Roads, Dale Range Mod Enhancement, Adaptable City Range etc..

Until I was completely disappointed with the next civ.. totally waste they REINVENTED the wheel..

basically all work for nothing..

that's what I like on the SR series.. instead of re-inventing the wheel they keep enhancing and improving the work they already done..

That's preferable to me, and the reason why they have the best AI tactics in the world..
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Re: [MOD-Upcoming] Supreme Ruler Remastered - UPDATED and MODIFIED

Post by Arahatree »

mrgenie wrote: Dec 07 2020 Should make a ModPack of Units/Maps/GUI.. an all in one - package..

Did this also for Civilization IV ..

Because a lot of users find it hard to put mods properly together..

And in fact, I know quite a few mod-pack builders also putting stuff together wrongly..

That's where I started to mod, helping these mod-pack builders with their Crash to Desktop and before I knew it I was doing
requests like Land and Roads, Dale Range Mod Enhancement, Adaptable City Range etc..

Until I was completely disappointed with the next civ.. totally waste they REINVENTED the wheel..

basically all work for nothing..

that's what I like on the SR series.. instead of re-inventing the wheel they keep enhancing and improving the work they already done..

That's preferable to me, and the reason why they have the best AI tactics in the world..
Off course, i like the idea of an "all in one - package", as long as all the parts that compose that package (at least as many parts as possible) are still public to people who want to make a different combination of mods.

So, we can keep talking about this in your topic "all in one package".
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Re: [MOD] Supreme Ruler Remastered - UPDATED and MODIFIED

Post by Arahatree »

Some screenshots (the UI is from other mods):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
youssef
Warrant Officer

Post by youssef »

Did you add all nerei 3d models and are you keeping a update the mod ?
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

youssef wrote: Jul 21 2021 Did you add all nerei 3d models and are you keeping a update the mod ?
Yes, i added all nerei 3d models three months ago. If he added new ones in these last 3 months i'll have to check again.

The mod is updated and working with the last SRU update, no problem.
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Am i doing something wrong or alot of units missing models? Tried copying and replacing, some units missing models, tried copying vanilla meshes into it other units missing models, pretty confusing.

Just wanted to see balance changes for units in effect, but it would be nice if i can see what kinda unit im dealing with.
youssef
Warrant Officer

Post by youssef »

I am trying to change something in the 2020 but when I delete the cache file and reload the time for building a land units return to vanilla like 60 or 80 days mostly less.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It is possible that the author of the mod did not include all of their custom files. If they changed their .unit but didn't include it, recache will give you the defaults. We usually suggest using a separate .unit file for modding, but it's not required.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Yeah i guess the scenario file is often neglected to future proof your mod, but you also like the latest changes while you guys are working on it. I actually future proofed my own mod like evildari did. Didnt miss a thing.

On the scenario file modding should be improved visually. So you load this file and you can hyperlink to the other files and always come back to the scenario file. Like a website. Kinda like the scenario editor i guess, but without errors and more simple access to the most used files.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Rosalis wrote: Aug 04 2021 ...On the scenario file modding should be improved visually. So you load this file and you can hyperlink to the other files and always come back to the scenario file...
There is no way we would have the budget to invest in really fancy modding tools. If I have that kind of staffing budget, I'd push for it to be invested into development of the game before development of game tools.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

since everyone is hijacking this: then me too!
you can put most of the data tables into an spreadsheet (excel-type) file as a table and easily export it into the right folders (maybe have several open at same time)
Added bonus of spreadsheets is that you can build in some checks, like does a tech id in you unit file even exist in the tech file, automatically set the flags of a tech which give units or buildings or other status, add other types of sanity checks ie. to find weird high defense values of industrial buildings.

So iam all with Balthagor that they should rather spend their budget to correct their in-game budget calculations. :lol:
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Sure, but if you do something you should do it good. Else you will never get the budget.

The most recent thing i faced had nothing to do with budget or anything, but with hotspots. Japan was at war with 14 countries including China, they landed some infantry east of China with no possibility to send supplies, and there pathing was the capital of Mongolia... Besides about 100 infantry on islands they cant get off from, yeah theres definetely other stuff to focus on. Also loads of troops get loaded into transport ships and sit idle infront of the port. Its really hard to improve this game with modding while facing issues like these. A smarter move would be to use South Korea as transport hub. They had the transport treaties, both were at war with north korea, but yeah i can just simply stop world wide advancements just by entrenching some troops on the borders. Thats why i was interested in this mod, not for the models, just for balance reasons. I dont think it will improve things with improving defence of units, but just wanted to see if i was wrong.

The biggest fix someone could make is make military facilities shared between allies for repairs. Like it used to be a very fast dead with all or nothing, but now its just a slow dead by sending too few units on an impossible mission.

I know one publisher which never let anything like this be released as a finished game, you might know them from SR2020.
arakan94
Lieutenant

Post by arakan94 »

Hi, thanks for doing the update!

Gotta question about some UNIT changes though.. I wanted to compare CJ's file to yours and noticed that you changed some Interceptors and MRs to Attack Fighters, including Super Tomcat (ID 10364) and F-16C Falcon Block 30/32 (ID 10352).. The stats are also radically changed so they are similar to other AFs.. Can I ask why did you do this?
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

arakan94 wrote: Mar 06 2022 Hi, thanks for doing the update!

Gotta question about some UNIT changes though.. I wanted to compare CJ's file to yours and noticed that you changed some Interceptors and MRs to Attack Fighters, including Super Tomcat (ID 10364) and F-16C Falcon Block 30/32 (ID 10352).. The stats are also radically changed so they are similar to other AFs.. Can I ask why did you do this?
Hi! you are wellcome :)

Well... as said in the description of the mod, i didn't think it was convenient the CJ's idea of modifying original stats to simulate "Modern planes with standoff weapons", since we already have SRU AGM missiles for that purpose. So i reverted those stats to original SRU values.

It's being a long time i did changes in the stats. Since i don't remember all changes i made, the question is: did i change all stats to SRU original values, or did i do that only to ground attack values? Maybe AAW values suggested by CJ were better than original SRU?

To answer this question, let's take the example of F-16C Falcon:

According to CMANO encyclopedia, for AAW this aircraft has the following missile: AIM-9M Sidewinder. This missile, in real life, has a max. range of 20 km. But the POH (probability of hitting) is at 95% at 20 km. If we want 100% POH (because in SRU every shot is a hit), we could estimate the range will be 15 km. And actually in real life pilots don't shoot at maximum range to score a hit (but they could shoot at max. range to set the enemy into defensive).

But we have to take into account that the enemy aircraft will crank and shoot flares and chaff countermeasures... so most likely the first shot will be missed and now the aircraft is closer, probably 5 km closer. Therefore, it shoots again at 10 km to get a kill. Since this is the most common scenario, 10 km range for 100% POH is a good estimation.

(It could also have chosen other tactics, maybe geting at 10 km and shoot both missiles at the same time or whatever. Since AIM-9M Sidewinder is "all aspect", despite of being IR terminal guidance, the aircraft doesn't need to get behind its target to fire (although launching from behind the target increases the probability of a hit)).

So 10 km (or 8 km) range for this aircraft is not bad, from my humble point of view, since 2 km doesn't make such a big difference.

We always have to take into account estimations, since SRU abstracts a lot of the combat (It would be cool SRU and CMANO merge together into a single game and this abstractions disappear!! :-) ).

I could be wrong in my reasoning, though. Therefore, if you provide a good reason why i shouldn't have set original SRU values, or you have changed the file to more realistic values, i could change it again to the way you suggest.

About classifying F-16C Falcon as MR:

I don't remember what did i do here, but I suppose i also reverted to SRU original. And i reverted in mass, i didn't go thinking aircraft by aircraft, they are too many and i didn't have much free time on my hands.

In the mod this aircraft is classified as "tactical bomber", but having 4 missiles AIM-9M with Air Superiority Loadout... it should be MR (even though those missiles are not BVR). Tactical bomber is more something like... having only 2 missiles AIM-9M and less agility, like A-10C Thunderbolt.

Tomcat is definitely a Fighter!! not MR or tactical bomber. These could be original SRU mistakes or CJ's, since i didn't choose these classifications, i only chose to copy-paste the classifications from CJ or original SRU file.

So, whenever i get some free time, i will fix this and upload the updated file.

Thank you for the feedback! :-)

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”