Supreme Ruler Remastered

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Arahatree
Lt. Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: Supreme Ruler Remastered

Post by Arahatree »

So, i have being doing a DEFAULT.UNIT file that's pure vanilla game with his 3d models. This way, in the future new mods can be done to DEFAULT.UNIT using all this wonderful 3d models without problem.

It's being a pain in the *** to do this submod, because he added many new units, removed many vanilla units (including guerrillas :-( ), changed many of their names and all their picnum, so i have modified hundreds of lines with an automated macro i created, so i left the computer a couple of hours alone to do it, otherwise it would have needed to spend at least a month doing it. I wonder how long did it take to the creator to do this mod, so much effort and time he put into it. It's strange that after so much effort now he doesn't update it and just abandoned it HUH

I discovered a bug and i fixed it: he had two units (one vanilla and another one new) with the same ID, and that could cause a crash or instability, so i changed its ID to another ID not used and now both units are used without problems.

I also discovered that he added a new facility, but i don't know its purpose, it's called "red square". So, i just keep it.

In his DEFAULT.UNIT he added new units and removed vanilla units. I am creating this "submod" keeping both. The more units the better, isn't that right? :D

And now i'm thinking that i will create several DEFAULT.UNIT for different tastes:
- One pure vanilla, but with his new units added (except his new units will be converted to battalion size) vanilla defense stats.
- Vanilla with his new units added, battalion size, but with defense x10.
- Vanilla with his new units added, but with defense x10 and regiment size (infantry 1200 personnel, but the rest is the same as vanilla).

All the rest of unit stats will be vanilla, because i don't agree with AA values, standoff mechanics, facilities, etc. If someone wants to change something instead of vanilla values, they could now create their own submods according to their tastes and understanding of warfare. (need to recache).

I will be testing how is combat with the three different files (i have to recache for each one).

In order to upload this DEFAULT.UNIT i need the permission of the creator. So the question now is, for how long should i wait to consider that this mod is abandoned? should i never upload the files if he never gives us an answer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Micheal Berg wrote: Jun 15 2020
Hi legionary , sorry for the late response. If i can recall i had to re-cache the game and it fixed the problem. I was deeply engaged in a follow on version of the Mod, but it never got released by the author, so the version i have and play is not the one in the links.

It would have been great to share the version i play with the community as there has been a lot of interest since the authors last posts, but i can not as i specifically gave him the assurance that i will not distribute any of his content without his express consent.
I actually found some of the bits and bobs I think your refering to and use them in my gam as they where in the 3d files but not the picnumb file.

Its a shame he never finished this mod it really is great.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Arahatree wrote: Nov 20 2020 So, i have being doing a DEFAULT.UNIT file that's pure vanilla game with his 3d models. This way, in the future new mods can be done to DEFAULT.UNIT using all this wonderful 3d models without problem.

It's being a pain in the *** to do this submod, because he added many new units, removed many vanilla units (including guerrillas :-( ), changed many of their names and all their picnum, so i have modified hundreds of lines with an automated macro i created, so i left the computer a couple of hours alone to do it, otherwise it would have needed to spend at least a month doing it. I wonder how long did it take to the creator to do this mod, so much effort and time he put into it. It's strange that after so much effort now he doesn't update it and just abandoned it HUH

I discovered a bug and i fixed it: he had two units (one vanilla and another one new) with the same ID, and that could cause a crash or instability, so i changed its ID to another ID not used and now both units are used without problems.

I also discovered that he added a new facility, but i don't know its purpose, it's called "red square". So, i just keep it.

In his DEFAULT.UNIT he added new units and removed vanilla units. I am creating this "submod" keeping both. The more units the better, isn't that right? :D

And now i'm thinking that i will create several DEFAULT.UNIT for different tastes:
- One pure vanilla, but with his new units added (except his new units will be converted to battalion size) vanilla defense stats.
- Vanilla with his new units added, but with defense x10 and regiment size (infantry 1200 personnel, but the rest is the same as vanilla).

All the rest of unit stats will be vanilla, because i don't agree with AA values, standoff mechanics, facilities, etc. If someone wants to change something instead of vanilla values, they could now create their own submods according to their tastes and understanding of warfare. (need to recache).

I will be testing how is combat with the three different files (i have to recache for each one).

In order to upload this DEFAULT.UNIT i need the permission of the creator. So the question now is, for how long should i wait to consider that this mod is abandoned? should i never upload the files if he never gives us an answer?
I should think a vanilla default.unit file would be really easy to do? Just start with the vanilla file and go through the picnumb file adding the new models to the file they are all named up what unit they go with so other than a little bit of wiki searching it should pretty straight forward
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

sparky282 wrote: Nov 21 2020
Arahatree wrote: Nov 20 2020 So, i have being doing a DEFAULT.UNIT file that's pure vanilla game with his 3d models. This way, in the future new mods can be done to DEFAULT.UNIT using all this wonderful 3d models without problem.

I should think a vanilla default.unit file would be really easy to do? Just start with the vanilla file and go through the picnumb file adding the new models to the file they are all named up what unit they go with so other than a little bit of wiki searching it should pretty straight forward
It is actually really complicated, and next i explain why:

For the mod to work, I need to copy picnum but also the name of the unit, because he changed 602 vanilla names. Only copying picnum doesn't work, i already tried.
He deleted many vanilla units and added 75 units of his own. And i don't want to lose the vanilla units, because he deleted Guerrillas, etc (Guerrillas are very important in vietnam scenario); and i want to include his extra units, because he created 3d models for those and are very nice.

So i can't just copy and paste "picnum" and "unit names" from his mod to vanilla DEFAULT.UNIT, because the units in the files don't correspond to each other when you sort them by ID, if i would do that i would for example assign a tank 3d model to unmounted infantry.

However, i solved all that, the only way to solve it was using excel sheets to sort everything out using IDs, and i finished all that. I renamed vanilla units according to his mod names, i included vanilla deleted units and also his extra units. I also copied all his picnum. Everything is ready, BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM that i don't know how to solve:

After i did all that in .csv file, now i want to pass to DEFAULT.UNIT. It should work just by changing the extension to .UNIT, looking in notepad++ there is no difference in headers, format, codification or anything, but modding tools are giving me a format error message. If i ignore that tool and recache in the game, the new DEFAULT.UNIT created doesn't work when i recache. It's so strange, because there is no difference in the format, the only difference are in picnum and unit names, plus the new units added.

Also, because i can't paste a whole column in the modding tools (is very limited), i tried creating a macro copying and pasting unit by unit from the excel to the modding tool. But this macro, despite being very fast copying and pasting, will take 8 hours to do it, i already tested it and i took 5 minutes to copy-paste 62 units. But anyways, using the macro will be the only solution available. I will just leave the computer there working for 8 hours while i go hiking or something.

A curious thing is that he changed 602 vanilla names, and for each name he must have done his research to find out. He did so much work! it's impressive.

One important question i have is how to work DEFAULT.UNIT in .csv format in excel and then pass to DEFAULT.UNIT again, because i don't know why it doesn't work. I attach screenshots how is my .csv. The one i created is the .csv ordered by ID, the other one is the original of the game. I don't see a difference in the format. Both are ANSI coded.

I also attach screenshot of the units ordered by ID to see the reason they don't correspond file to file. At the right column are the mod units, at the left the vanilla. "ig" and "diferente" is the result of a formula used to detect differences and be able to sort out all units.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Use the modding tools to modify the .UNITS files. Always seems to work that way. (or notepad I think)
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

There is one major difference between the 2 that I can see one is ordered by the SR5id and one isn't

I'm not going to be much help otherwise because as SGT says I use the official mod tools to edit the .unit file

I do feel like you have over complicated this though. If you take the .unit file a standard version and go through changing the picnumb column it will 100% work regardless of what he has changed any names to anywhere

The picnumb is not linked to a name anywhere only the number in you assign. You can assign that number to any unit you wish.

You can then go through and add the new units he added by duplicating them and renumbering thereby still including his units. It would be much quicker using the official tools I think this is indeed what I did as i use my own custom default.unit file which I have spent at least 25hrs editing. I'd be interested to see what units he added if you have a list?
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Thank you very much for your help!

I did it!! I did it!!! :D :D :D :D

The problem was that the modding tools were corrupting my file DEFAULT.UNIT. So, I did it only with the help of excel and notepad++ and now it's working perfect!! :D I don't think the asset manager (the modding tool i was using) is good for a massive mod, but it's good for just modifying a few units, and i don't know why it was corrupting my file, maybe because in my file everything is ordered by ID and that drives the tool crazy? i don't know. By ID i always referred to SR5id.

Now i don't have to wait 8 hours for a macro to do it, i did it in excel!! Well, with this file now the mod is updated to the latest game version 9.2.5

So, should i upload the new DEFAULT.UNIT for other people to enjoy?? or first should i wait for permission from the original modder? and for how long should i wait?

Now i'm going to produce all those DEFAULT.UNIT files that i said before. I will upload them if someone explains how to get permission from the modder, or what should i do. I'm really grateful to him for his big effort. I don't want to do something immoral to him.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

yes, that could possibly be the reason as I've lost count of how many units I've added maybe a 1000? and no issues here glad I could help anyway
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

sparky282 wrote: Nov 22 2020
I'd be interested to see what units he added if you have a list?
Sorry, i forgot you asked this question. In the next file i upload the list of units he added. One text file contains those units with his stats, in the other file contains those units with my adaptation to vanilla:
Last edited by Arahatree on Nov 23 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

sparky282 wrote: Nov 22 2020 yes, that could possibly be the reason as I've lost count of how many units I've added maybe a 1000? and no issues here glad I could help anyway
If you forget about the asset manager and work with excel and notepad++, you can work with all units sorted by ID and it will work in the game without any problem at all. But if you do it this way, don't try to open the DEFAULT.UNIT with the asset manager, or it will corrupt the file and make it useless, this way losing it forever! :-( (keep a backup always).

But this same file that the asset manager can't open, is working perfectly with the game, because the game doesn't care how are the units sorted.

So, i suggest to do it this way, because excel and notepad++ are much more powerful tools than asset manager. Even though asset manager has a nice system of filters, you can apply the same filters in excel too.
Last edited by Arahatree on Nov 22 2020, edited 2 times in total.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Since the creator of this mod, Cyrus Jackson, is no longer active from Nov 2019 (a year already passed showing no signs of life), lots of new 3d models have being released that are not included in this mod.

Therefore, my next step is to include all those new 3d models. This way this mod is going to be fully updated and upgraded.

Also i have come to this conclusion: given that Cyrus Jackson published the DEFAULT.UNIT with his new units, he gave us permision to do with it whatever we want ("use it wisely" he said). As a consequence, there is no problem if i publish here, or even in a new thread, the modifications i'm doing to that file.

So, i think it could be ok if i start a new thread in mods forum called "Supreme Ruler Remastered (updated by another modder)". And if he comes back one day in the future, he will take over the mod again, and i will delete that thread and he can keep updating in this thread or whatever he thinks is best. Is it ok if i do it this way?
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

I sent him a private message asking for permission.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Arahatree wrote: Nov 22 2020 If you forget about the asset manager and work with excel and notepad++, you can work with all units sorted by ID and it will work in the game without any problem at all. But if you do it this way, don't try to open the DEFAULT.UNIT with the asset manager, or it will corrupt the file and make it useless, this way losing it forever! :-( (keep a backup always).

But this same file that the asset manager can't open, is working perfectly with the game, because the game doesn't care how are the units sorted.

So, I suggest to do it this way, because excel and notepad++ are much more powerful tools than asset manager. Even though asset manager has a nice system of filters, you can apply the same filters in excel too.
I find the asset manager very easy to use I can sort by date available and search by region code and classnum that combined with being able to search for an individual picnum makes it very powerful for my needs.

As for contact Cyrus, he is available on Steam sometimes I belive using the same name might be worth looking there.
Thanks for the list.
kampi12345
Corporal

Post by kampi12345 »

sorry for my bad english I use google translation.
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

Thank you, i'll try to contact him via steam also

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”