No Unit Start setting doesnt work with recache

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

NotDatGuy
Corporal
Human: Yes

No Unit Start setting doesnt work with recache

Post by NotDatGuy »

I downloaded
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=30338

as well as the recommended UI mods

to use with

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=29315&p=190381&hil ... ch#p190381

Starting in 2020 without any tech, figures it would make sense to use the remove all starting units as well. Problem is the first mod needs a recache, which apparently means the option to start without units doesn't work. Any workaround?

Or do i need to fire up the map editor and play with that to get what i want? Which i might do anyways since ultimately I may want to remove most of the starting industries as well, but I'm worried that might ruin the game economy since the AI as far as I can tell from previous posts do not build all of the available construction options which may lead to a lack of supply depots and such.

I also seen an old 1901 shattered world mod which might fit into what im looking for, reduced tech, reduced industry, AND a shattered world. But its several years old (like many of the mods on here) and im worried it either wont work at all or is going to have bugs popping up as time goes on? viewtopic.php?f=91&t=22848

EDIT: The 1901 shattered world mod's download link is down, so might not even be an option anyways, but on that note are most old mods going to be incompatible with new SRU verisons? And if so, at which point/version/date is kind of the cut off point?
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Re: No Unit Start setting doesnt work with recache

Post by YoMomma »

Last edited by YoMomma on Jun 30 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Gameplay 1st
NotDatGuy
Corporal

Post by NotDatGuy »

Alright, well I apparently didn't fully understand the recache thing. Once the cache is built, you don't need to recache anymore? Since its already rebuilt the cache and it'll be tagged for that scenario/sandbox?

Either way is fine i guess i actually cracked open the scenario editor and there's an option to remove all units from all regions, nice and easy. But looking over the map editor, seems to me (I was pretty lit last night lol) that there isn't any easy way to strip full industries worldwide (Eg Petroleum, uranium) that wouldn't be technologically available with all research stripped from all regions. And going nation by nation, all across the world, deleting these industries one by one..... Did not seem very appealing at the time (cant even use a search function to find them?).

I tend to have the attention span of a goldfish, likely why i've always been a big fan of mods but have never actually taken the time to figure it out myself. If i do happen to get crackin on SRU I'd likely keep going with the shattered world no tech no unit path. Stripping all irrelevant industries, and reworking commodity prices. Although reworking commodity prices I would probably need to rebalance GDP/c to prevent massive global deflation? Alternatively I could rework an early scenario/sandbox, removing all the colonies and manually adding back in all the regions from the shattered world scenario. Which would save time on removing industry and manipulating prices, but without actually trying it, adding all the regions may mess with balance pretty hard without going through to each nation and ensuring they have at least some some industry, as many may not be developed at all?

Either way this sounds like a whole bunch of time and effort, to possibly build a scenario that is going to end up being a hot mess and not playable..... without putting a bunch more hours into making it so. Only to find thirty hours in I actually lost interest.... LOL I've always given props to modders who find the time and patience to do what I more often than not lack the motivation to do myself. But on a forum thats as quiet as this one, for a game, that really for how good of a sim it is has a very hard break in point limiting how many people play it actively, your definately not going to get the feedback your going to be getting over at somewhere like... paradox plaza.

Hell if i could muster the courage to get on er, I'd actually like to pick apart the strategic bombing mod apart and figure out how he reworked unit health/protection to lengthen battles, and apply a similar idealogy to unit costs. That would work well with the increased battle times, making every unit and strategy more important. As well as limiting unit blobs to help lessen later game slowdowns to lengthen playthroughs. If the map editor was just a little easier to work with (quick find industries from a nice list, easily deleting them or snapping to their location, quick find nations) it would cut the very tedious manhours down considerably, and id be much more likely to spend the couple hours to get the map together i wanted. Leaving the default unit changes i want to make, which id actually be much more interested in sitting down, rolling my monitor over 90 degrees and staring at code for a day.
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Gameplay 1st
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Gameplay 1st
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

YoMomma wrote: May 06 2019 Seems i went a bit overboard, altho its all true. And if truth doesnt get told or censored, well how its gonna get fixed?

If you want to delete all facilities of the map, just delete everything in the .OOF file of your scenario in /maps. Make the cache, job done. Deleting the techs, well i dont want anyone to point to a broken tool, but you can easily remove them in the .CVP file. Just takes some time. Or if there is a mod with no starting techs, copy the .CVP file in the right map. Also always check your scenario file, best to give files you edit new names, and give their path in this file.

Edit: nvm you cant empty the .OOF file, cause you will also delete the cities.
but you can load that file in a spreadsheet calculator , filter the list for the items you want to delete
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
NotDatGuy
Corporal

Post by NotDatGuy »

YoMomma wrote: May 06 2019 Seems i went a bit overboard, altho its all true. And if truth doesnt get told or censored, well how its gonna get fixed?
Bit of a rough day? lol

I was a little wore out this weekend but one of these days im pretty sure ill actually try to make some tweaks, maybe work on getting a bit of a blank slate/ even start or whatever scenario together for myself to play around with. In the mean time I'll try out a round with the strategic bombing/increased defence mod i mentioned. If it does do what it says it does, should lengthen out battle times, which im hoping will make it a bit more worthwhile to make tactical advances, encirclement, and such. Vanilla battle is over so quickly doesn't leave much time for trying to micro your fronts.

If it works out well ill let you know, and maybe I'll try to up costs across the board to lower unit counts. I know you say that gives the superpowers even more of an advantage but i dont see how. If all costs are increase, lets say, 5X. Whether your a super or not thats still going to limit the number of units you can make by 5X. Only way that might need re balancing is starting units.

evildari wrote: May 06 2019

If you want to delete all facilities of the map, just delete everything in the .OOF file of your scenario in /maps. Make the cache, job done. Deleting the techs, well i dont want anyone to point to a broken tool, but you can easily remove them in the .CVP file. Just takes some time. Or if there is a mod with no starting techs, copy the .CVP file in the right map. Also always check your scenario file, best to give files you edit new names, and give their path in this file.

Edit: nvm you cant empty the .OOF file, cause you will also delete the cities.
but you can load that file in a spreadsheet calculator , filter the list for the items you want to delete

I've done close to zero modding at all other than ini tweaks with Notpad+, If theres a spreadsheet program that you could recommend for this that would be cool. Also do i need anything to unpack these to open them? (just stopped in for a minute and im out the door or i'd self investigate... :-D
YoMomma
Brigadier Gen.

Post by YoMomma »

Gameplay 1st
NotDatGuy
Corporal

Post by NotDatGuy »

Fair enough, I imagine you have the experience to say that confidently. Forgive my ignorance here, but when you say increasing spheres, does that make the AI more biased to full transit rights/alliance agreements? Or do you create alliances with full transit rights at scenario start? If im understanding you correctly, by making full transit/alliances as well as increase sphere leanings, this creates more wars between the spheres, with more units getting smashed together, decreasing the amount of nations in the world as well as limiting the amount of nations just sitting there not warring massing huge stockpiles of units? (I'm looking at your Austrailia 8O )

I just gave your 2020 gold mod changelog a quick look over and it looks like you've tweaked sphere leanings, so i imagine if i want to see it in action I should probably try it out! Also, is this a supreme ruler gold only mod? or was it a gold mod you ported over to ultimate? :S

Edit Nvm, just took a better look and answered my own question. Looks good for SRU

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”