3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

The Scorpene is not really that common. Going by wikipedia only 4 navies operate a total of 11 boats with another 3 being build.
that means that of the above submarines it is only the 4th most numerous tied with the Thresher/Permit at 14 boats after the Lafayette family (31 boats), 688i (23 boats) and Ohio (18 boats)

For common western submersibles German boats are really the place to be (that and the US). The German Type 209 is a bit over 4 times as numerous and operated by far more nations.
I think only the 688 family has the Type 209 outdone on commissioned boats and it will likely lose that title within reasonable time as Type 209s are still being build.
Also yes I do have an incomplete model of the Type 209. Note that there are still a good deal of work left.

This boat in particular is modelled after the SAS Manthatisi, a South African Navy Type 209 1400.
It is worth mentioning that the 1100, 1200 and 1300 variants have notable visual differences from the 1400 and 1500 variants so it is entirely possible there are better representations than this model for those 3 variants already available.

Also dark picture on bright background really does not work that well but meh. The model is far from complete so it is limited how much effort I will put into a render of it.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Nerei wrote: Nov 10 2021 The Scorpene is not really that common. Going by wikipedia only 4 navies operate a total of 11 boats with another 3 being build.
that means that of the above submarines it is only the 4th most numerous tied with the Thresher/Permit at 14 boats after the Lafayette family (31 boats), 688i (23 boats) and Ohio (18 boats)
Yes indeed you are right I has talking in terms of the game because it comes under E and F regions half of Europe builds it and I believe Spain and France start with the design, as a result, lots of navies use them
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Okay yes in that way it is a fairly common design.
I am however not sure France has it researched which would be strange as DCNS Cherburg has been involved in the construction of quite a few of the boats from what I understand. Being an export design though it should not really hurt France as it still has the Suffren. That said as nuclear marine propulsion is not really that good in-game maybe it is a bit of a loss.
Now I wonder if India and Brazil has access to them.

Edit: Actually from what I remember I did once do a comparison between the Scorpene and Suffren and the result was that the basically very little improvement for like 10x the price so okay if my memory is accurate it is a major loss.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Yes you are right France don't start with it and neither do India and Brazil but more annoyingly they can never build it either which is a strange one these holes in the database happen though like the fact the British can't build any of the V bombers in the modern game starts
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It is entirely possible that India and Brazil buying Scorpenes was missed when updating 2020 starting dates to Ultimate. Both nations laid down their first Scorpene after SR2020 was released so it is not too far fetched that it was not properly added there.

I am personally okay with both not being able to research the submarine. It is a Navantia/DCNS designed submarine that these nations are building on license. Naturally they should be able to build them in 2017-2020 but only as a known design.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

So I am working on a Denel Rooivalk.
This particular texture set is the A region group. I might also do a Z region group texture in the style of Egyptian Ka-52 or Qatari AH-64
The model is still in need markings and the tail is lacking in details. Some weathering would not be bad either.
The model is technically of the Rooivalk ADM and not the AH2 production model. I had better access to orthographic views of the ADM and that makes it easier to make it.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

looks good are we likely to see a new release soon? [_]B :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

A proper release is not all that likely. A pre-release is a more realistic option. I should however say that either usually is a spur of the moment action without any real pre-planning.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Nerei wrote: Nov 28 2021 A proper release is not all that likely. A pre-release is a more realistic option. I should however say that either usually is a spur of the moment action without any real pre-planning.
Yes pre-release is what I meant really but even though you say that there is very little if any issues with the pre-releases
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Mostly Pre-release in this case just means "not thoroughly tested". I have had issues in the past with the exporter breaking part of the UV map so the textures glitch. Such errors are far more likely.
I will try and see when I can get something converted. Might be a bit as I do not have that much time right now and I would like to finish models like the Rooivalk first.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Nerei wrote: Dec 08 2021 Mostly Pre-release in this case just means "not thoroughly tested". I have had issues in the past with the exporter breaking part of the UV map so the textures glitch. Such errors are far more likely.
I will try and see when I can get something converted. Might be a bit as I do not have that much time right now and I would like to finish models like the Rooivalk first.
yeah, the only issues I normally see are with the scale but at this point, I'm pretty sure I like my scale totally different from the base game so only say something if it's a glaring issue.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

My approach to scales can mostly be summarized as "eh it is probably close enough".
I basically just replace a model in picnums and place it next to similar models in-game. Assuming it looks roughly the right scale I declare it "good enough".
This is a modding resource after all. I assume if people can mod these into their game they can play with settings to fine-tune them also.
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

easy in-game scaling for previews:
(a line fromt the hotkey file)

Code: Select all

0x55,0,0,2917,,,,,Open mesh manipulation panel,<U>,,,U,,,,
ingame:
-select the unit
-hit the "U" key
-set a sensible value
-if you are satisfied - change it to same value in the file to make it permanent
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

It might just be my computer but one of the main issues for me is that panel makes the game extremely unstable. It feels like it crashes if I just look at it wrong or click in the wrong place. Others though might not have such issues and it does mean less editing picnums files which some might like.

Usually I roughly know what scale I need so I make do with just changing PicNumBase and MeshScale of an existing entry and loading a save to test a new MeshScale value.

Also I am still finishing up models. I have a short list of around 40 models though my estimate is only around half of them will make it this time.

Here is one I do not think I have posted before.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Mil Mi-24D Hind regional variants done (well mostly).
I might also do a DPRK version as apparently Korean Peoples Army Air Force operates some but finding actual pictures is harder.
In the end I might just use a DPRK Mil Mi-8 helicopter as a template. DPRK Su-25 use the same paint scheme including the region group L variant I have made.

Also hoping to release some models in the next few days but as always this is not a set timetable.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”