3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

Been sick so I have not done that much recently..
Still here is my take on the DC-3 family. The base model and detail set is based on the C-47 as are most variants.
This is the single model I have made with the most variant textures though if I include the C-130/KC-130 as one there are more of those.

I still need to give these a bit of weathering.
milivoje02
Colonel

Post by milivoje02 »

Nice work Nerei.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

sorry to hear that hope you feel better now

DC-3 is looking really good I must say
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Time for (yet another) Windows rant.

So I delayed updating Windows 10 as it apparently have a bug where the computer might not go properly into sleep. That feature update however was released like 6 months ago so that bug has to have been fixed and Windows was telling me my current version is very old (the version before that) so I guess it was time to upgrade. Also I would not have to worry about Windows destroying any external SSD's I connect due to constant defragmentations.

So after spending a few hours installing a feature update on a high end computer (because it definitely should take that long) I find that my account does not work like at all. So I restart and Windows now recognize that I actually have a functional account. It just needs to create a new one naturally. Restart again and suddenly my account works.

So did my computer get problems with sleep mode? Naturally it did. Not only that but it actually kills the screen and cooling but it keeps at least the CPU running meaning that set the computer in standby and you can come back to a much warmer computer. Lovely!
None of the suggested "fixes" works either so yeah my computer cannot go to sleep now! Guess I will use hibernation from now on or just shut it down. Hibernating a bit should not cause meaningful degradation of the SSD. I certainly expect the computer to either die from other causes or become obsolete before that is relevant.

That said there is a silver lining with not using S0 sleep ever.
A) Microsoft cannot force updates on me when my computer is in S0 sleep and nuke any unsaved data I might have.
B) Microsoft cannot wake my computer and drain the battery doing irrelevant things leaving me with 20% battery when I actually need it.
C) Microsoft cannot make my computer exit sleep when it is in a bag resulting in it reaching temperatures that might cause thermonuclear fusion of my laptop cover.
Yes I have had all of that happen to me and I am still bitter about it.

In any case here is a DC-3/C-47/Li-2 in T and X regional markings. These are a bit generic but I decided the default was not all that appropriate for these groups.
Note the hard edges of the propeller blades is due to a filter effect in Maya. In-game this will not be an issue.
And for the sake of fun here they are with all the other variants.
milivoje02
Colonel

Post by milivoje02 »

At the last updated of windows 10 I had only problems with the Adobe package.
It would be weird for me when a new windows update come out,to passes without a problem :lol:
which unit models do you plan next to do?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

My desktop actually had no issues at all with update 20H2 other than it for some reason my ethernet connection was not set to metered so Windows decided to bring the computer out of S0 sleep, install an update, restart the machine and then happily leave it humming at the login screen for some reason.

I am not really sure what I will work on other than it will be something I have already started (I really need to reduce the number of incomplete models). Might be an AMX-30 or it could be a Merkava or some PLAN vessel. It could also be additional regional textures for models where the basic texture is already done like the SH3.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Not a type 22 then? :lol:

I joke

Yeah, windows it's so painful I actually never have anything set to sleep ever that feature seems to have had issues at least for me since Windows 95? maybe. Computers not coming out of sleep always seemed to be my issue stopped using it long ago!
Hibernate on the other hand is brilliant use that a lot!
I couldn't deal with window 10's pushy nature and stupid updates popping up in the middle of things. I had to change a lot of registry files but I finally got a version of windows 10 I can work with.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Sleep has never been amazing with Windows but I will say it is 10 times worse since S0 become the new standard. S1-S3 was at least passable but S0 is utter trash. It is not really sleep either. M$ calls it "modern standby" and "low power idle" which really is more fitting than when windows says "sleep".
Hibernating has its own issues as it does degrade an SSD over time though my estimates is issues arising from this likely a few decades out. Also I have had windows have a fit and refuse to hibernate. In any case though it certainly beats opening your bag and finding your laptop being 95C and at 20% battery due to windows update waking it for some stupid reason or some BIOS bug making the computer "sleep" at 55C.

Also don't worry about bringing models up. I have sufficient that I do not properly keep track of them and some ending up being forgotten is entirely possible. I actually sometimes find models that are partially textured that I had totally forgotten.
The reason I brought those up over the Type 22 is that they are much further along. I could probably finish my Type-89 I-Go together with an incomplete Type 01 Ho-Ni 1 and the aforementioned tanks in the same time it takes to finish the Type 22.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

This says it all really!

Haha yeah, I know the ships are work heavy. I still look at the spreadsheet you did I think before git hub and see models which like you say are texturing but I don't think we ever got.
But that's the whole point isn't it you do this out of a love not because you have to so you can work on what you want when you want
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Yes I really should update that document. I keep forgetting. My own private design document is not even fully updated I think.

Part of the problem with warships and tanks is that I tend to focus on details that are probably not strictly needed but that I want to have anyway. Spending a few hours trying to get parts of a model right that will not be visible from most angles and even at the right angle requires a high zoom to see is anything but ideal usage of time.

This is indeed a hobby project that solely exist for the fun of doing it. A few friends have actually suggested doing things like creating a Patreon account to "get something out of it" but that really clashes with the above which is the way I want to do this and it will also make it more of a chore and less of a silly hobby project where I can do whatever I want.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Here is the aforementioned Merkava. Specifically it is a Merkava IIC.
There are still details missing and obviously the vehicle is not intended to be brightly red. That is just my standard work-in-progress colour.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Very nice will there be a Namer to join it?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Ultimately I do plan on making one just as I would like to make more Merkavas and in general more IDF vehicles.
It will however not be right away. AFV's take a long time to make. Only warships really take longer.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

CG(X) concept style guided missile cruiser. The vessel is probably around the size of a Kirov class missile cruiser both in tonnage and dimensions.
The vessel is mostly based on a mixture of the Zumwalt class and some concepts for CG(X). Given that CG(X) is related to Zumwalt that feels okay to me.

I decided to retain the tumblehome instead of a more typical hull shape even if that might have ultimately been discarded for CG(X). The superstructure layout though is based on a non-tumblehome concept. I picked that in part as the tumblehome CG(X) was basically "Zumwalt but replace the 2x AGS with more VLS)
I did however enlarge the hangar structure to offer better aviation facilities as with the original concept it looked unlikely the vessel would have a proper helicopter hangar. With this layout it is basically like Zumwalt except the hangar and main superstructure is split.

The vessel has what is probably the most likely armament for the CG(X). That is basically no cannon at all and a lot of VLS cells. CG(X) was to lose one if not both AGS and replace it with more VLS cells.
The only cannons are 2 small craft swarm defence weapons. These are modeled after the 30mm mod 46 found on the Zumwalt
There ship has the same number of VLS cells as CG(X) was intended to carry which is 512. For comparison a Ticonderoga has 122 and Sejong the Great has 128. That means fully loaded the vessel could be carrying anything from 512 to 2048 missiles. For comparison one of the heaviest armaments afloat is the Kirov class at around 350.

This was actually fairly fast to make as stealth warships are quite simple. This ship has half the details of vessels like Maya and Type 23. Also the simple shapes makes it fast to work with.
One of the reasons I made this was that I wanted to experiment with texturing these fairly simple hulls. Particularly getting some detailing onto the fairly blank sides though a bit of panelling. A bit like on the unpainted aluminium aircraft. Also this is a vessel with some guidance (e.g. Zumwalt and CG(X)) but not remotely as rigid as making a Merkava Mk2C, JS Maya or HMS Northumberland.

There is however still some work left. Particularly the deck needs a bit more work but that is manageable.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Now that is pretty cool something to match the a Kirov class in size and missles

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”