3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nerei
General
Human: Yes

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Nerei »

Everything should be back to normal. Well normal as in I have a fully functional computer again.

Looking through my incomplete models I found a Type 89 I-Go with a decent amount of work done. somewhat funny how many incomplete models I have.

Before my computer issues I also got some work done on a PLAN Type 053H Frigate. I'll post a render of it once it is further along.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Here is the PLAN vessels I have so far. They are in part picked on what I can actually find good, detailed references for.
From front to rear: Type 053H, Type 052B, Type 051C and Type 052D.

The scene is rendered with some advanced lighting as the Type 052B will be a grey blob otherwise. That means the Type 053H, Type 051C and Type 052D all of which have shaded textures get both and it is probably a bit more extreme than the final model.

Note that the Type 052B in particular is not very far along and the Type 052D also needs a good deal of work. I am not planning on putting much more work into the 052B until I got the majority of the others done as I hope to cannibalize them for the 052B (particularly the 051C and 052D).
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

As is typical for me I tend to jump a bit between models. So on top of those warships I am also making a few building models and this M113

The main reason for doing this is to make vehicles like the IDF Zelda and Giraffe or M901 ITV and ACAV variants but I see no reason not to make a basic version also as say the ACAV variant really is just this with extra things slapped onto it.
The texture is made with plenty of space to support this.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

looking greaty nerei always love to see more ships
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have not really gotten that much done in the past few months or so. Still here is a few updates.

My B-47 Stratojet from well over a year ago is finally starting to actually look like an aircraft.

Also I have been experimenting with Photoshops 3D functionality. Largely it useless but it has one interesting feature. I can draw on models. That makes it easy to get a basic vehicle camouflage layout done.
Performance crashes with the number of layers but that is solved by using a dummy texture and copying the camouflage pattern over to the real texture.
CertainDeath
Sergeant

Post by CertainDeath »

Theese are great models!

The difference in the photoshop paintjob is real. The model gets much more "depht" with this edit.

Are you still sending them to BG to add them into library?
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

CertainDeath wrote: Jul 26 2020 Are you still sending them to BG to add them into library?
As far as I'm aware this SRU will not get any more updates
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Most of what I have made is already available in-game. It might not be used but it is there. I think it is only around 10 out of 285 models I have made that are not available. Anything I make in the future will be uploaded for people to use. BG can and have in the past included this content.
Lat time was with 9.2.3 which as Sparky282 mentioned is likely to be the last patch with any new content. Chances are any future patches if there are any will be bugfixes.

I do however plan on still making models and I do not plan on switching to Galactic Ruler either. I am not that much into futuristic spaceships or sci-fi 4X in general. I think the only such game I kinda like from the 21 century is Distant Worlds. It all just feels too bland to me.

The textures do the majority of the work but they also take the majority of my time. Ignoring research which can vary greatly from model to model I would say probably 80-90% of the time dedicated to making a model is the texture.
Part of the texture though is actually made in Maya. I build a number of greyscale lightmaps in it that are further adjusted in photoshop. I make those as the game only have ambient lighting (that however is probably a good thing as more light sources will affect performance with increased number of draw calls). They are probably one of the biggest contributors to the models not looking like blobs.

Here is an example of the difference lightmaps make on the Sho't Kal.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Another model I have been sitting on for far too long.
There is still a few things to tweak. Also the texture map does have room to install a rotodome so it can be converted into a KJ-1.
Planned regional textures are U, R, C and M

Technically this is not a World War 2 paintjob but Korean War. This particular aircraft I have tried to re-create was lost in 1951 and this should be roughly what it looked like at that time.
The aircraft from what I understand looked fairly similar during world war 2.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Douglas A1 Skyraider. Yes the Royal Navy variants where AEW aircraft which this is not but that is the closest I can come. Also it looks like I forgot a few details on the vertical stabilizer.
The US aircraft is based NE/572 "Paper Tiger II" of VA-25 on November 4th 1965 (I am going with the information on midwaysailor over say wikipedia on this). As that is the main aircraft I was modelling the sani-flush ordnance is also going on all aircraft.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

looks great buddy
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

More aircraft. Mostly I am doing aircraft right now as I have what feels like a billion incomplete ones and I would like to reduce this number. Naturally I will probably find another 20 I would like to make and end up leaving those incomplete for say a year or more.

This is a complete lineup of the unreleased aircraft I have where at least one texture set is done.
Note aircraft with Swastika finflashes will by default not feature it but it will be available as an optional download.

Also note that if I will probably put Suez stripes on UK aircraft where I can as I kinda like them.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Is that a C-5 :D
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

No a C-33 which is just a fancy name for a military version of the 747-400F.

Also here is the (at least mostly) finished version of the B-29/Tu-4

And a quick in-game test.

I might at some point start uploading models to the repository as an "early beta".
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Nerei wrote: Sep 07 2020 No a C-33 which is just a fancy name for a military version of the 747-400F.

Also here is the (at least mostly) finished version of the B-29/Tu-4

And a quick in-game test.

I might at some point start uploading models to the repository as an "early beta".
Oh the 747 Now that is pleasing :D

The B-29 with RAF Randell's looks very nice

sounds good to me I was thinking about starting a new game sometime soon so I'd be happy to test them :-)

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”