3D modelling

Post mods you have finished or are working on here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Demonius
Lieutenant
Human: Yes
Location: United States, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Re: 3D modelling

Post by Demonius »

Nerei, have you thought about doing a git hub that can add and update the new units models to the game?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I do have a github but it is an art repository only and chances are it will not become anything else.
link

I did originally consider doing more including adding designs and adjusting some of the odd stat choices BG have made. In the end I deciding to not spend the likely hundreds of hours a proper rebalance would take as there is a lot of stats that seems odd at best.

I mean just consider these tanks ground defence.
Where do I even start commenting on this?! This is wrong on so many levels it is both sad and hilarious!

The best part (or worst if you will) is I could just as easily make an example with aircraft air attack where say a 1950's F9F-6 Panther basically hits as hard a F-35A Lightning II or sub attack which is just in general a complete mess.

I guess I could simply do a picnum adjustment but I suspect the majority of people that download these have their own modded install anyway. Also I know I would have a hard time editing the unit database and not try and adjust stats like those above.
sparky282 wrote: Nov 05 2020
Nerei wrote: Nov 04 2020 Not really sure what i can suggest. Those two are some of the most tested models I have made recently. I have tried them both with a picnummesh replacement as well as new picnums entry and all worked fine all the time I tried them.
Sorry working now somehow I missed those 2 picnum off the list at the bottom :oops:
No worries it worked out in the end.

Also I am hoping to have the next set of models ready soon but so far I have kinda gotten derailed by a Type 627 November class SSN
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Yes you right some unit stats are very odd I've spent 80hours in the content editor and I don't think I've even scratched the surface I put it down to the fact the database was added to bit by bit after each game was announced.

Oh yes, but doesn't it look nice :D

Any ideas what will be in that release yet?
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

How about now?

Second set of models includes:
1722: Project 627 november class submarine
2034: B-52B Stratofortress
2035: B-52D Stratofortress
2036: B-52G Stratofortress
2037: B-52H Stratofortress
2038: M113 APC
2047: PJ-10 Brahmos cruise missile

link to full rar'ed package (including the first part)
and the loose files
Note that there are still not UGBITS

Demonius
Lieutenant
Location: United States, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe

Post by Demonius »

Nerei wrote: Nov 11 2020 I do have a github but it is an art repository only and chances are it will not become anything else.
link

I did originally consider doing more including adding designs and adjusting some of the odd stat choices BG have made. In the end I deciding to not spend the likely hundreds of hours a proper rebalance would take as there is a lot of stats that seems odd at best.

I mean just consider these tanks ground defence.
snipped the pic out
Where do I even start commenting on this?! This is wrong on so many levels it is both sad and hilarious!

The best part (or worst if you will) is I could just as easily make an example with aircraft air attack where say a 1950's F9F-6 Panther basically hits as hard a F-35A Lightning II or sub attack which is just in general a complete mess.

I guess I could simply do a picnum adjustment but I suspect the majority of people that download these have their own modded install anyway. Also I know I would have a hard time editing the unit database and not try and adjust stats like those above.
what i ment was for it to just add the new models and not change the .unit file and a person, like me, would manually edit the .unit, whether it be the default or a custom one, to add the new models to the game
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Ah alright.
The repository I linked mostly does that for proper releases. The content of the picnums.txt file needs to be added to default.picnums found in [SR root]/graphics/meshes but other than that it should mirror the games folder structure so overriding the graphics folder the SR root folder with the one in the rar file should place all the files where they need to be.

I can also create a default.picnums file that can override the default one but I will not make it override by default as I suspect sooner or later someone will override their own customised picnums file and blame me.
I have no idea if it is possible to make a custom picnums file. The nerei.picnums BG have made did not appear to be used by the game when I tested it. I will have to ask someone at BG.
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I have been making and updating some regional variants for a few old models.
I still need to make a few CH-47's. Once they are done I will add them to the repository
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

The CH-47 variants and the Indian AH-64 is now in the repository.

The files are:
CH47_tx.dds
UNIT1652H.dds
UNIT1652J.dds
UNIT1652K.dds
UNIT1652M.dds
UNIT1652Q.dds
UNIT1652U.dds
UNIT1652V.dds
UNIT1652Z.dds
UNIT1648Q.dds

All files should go in graphics/meshes.
CH47_tx.dds and UNIT1652J.dds are updated versions of existing files.

link
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

an RAF CH-47 now you are talking :D

I havn't found any issues yet with any of the recent releases

But if I do I'll post them here :-)

Great models as always
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

More work on some warships.

The Flight I Arleigh Burke is basically done. I might still find something to change but I think it is serviceable as it is.
I hope to eventually rebuild it into a flight II but as that is more than just slapping a hangar onto the rear of it that will also take time. Still a good number of parts can be reused.

The Type 23/Duke still need a good deal of work and like all warships that takes quite a bit of time but I hope it will be ready for the next set of models.
It still needs shading but as I have not decided if I want to add more props that will be the last thing I do.
I have also to decide if I want to make a new set of Mk. 141 quad harpoon launchers. I think the current set ultimately dates back to JDS Kongō.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Have to agree on the Mk. 141 harpoon launchers they do stand out against the rest of the model.
Looks brilliant though really looking forward to getting this one in game :D
Arahatree
Lt. Colonel

Post by Arahatree »

All those 3d models are really impressive :-) :-)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

Thanks. It is kind of funny how this has basically become the main thing I do with games.

Also here is the Duke/type 23 with some more details.
I have made a new set of Mk141 quad harpoon launchers. These should be fairly easy to reuse for other vessels or re-purpose it into the lighter versions found on say a Pegasus class hydrofoil.
It also has some other new details like the above bridge radar and the lifeboats are now polygonal objects instead of just being textures.

I suspect there is still a good number of hours of work left on the model as I still need a lot of details on the deck and around the rear funnel as well as some of the props around the ship.

The good thing about the way I make it though is that I got enough texture map space to add or change things as I feel like.
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Yes those launcher look much more in keeping with the rest now.

It is quite funny really but if its what you enjoy then why not?

I enjoy playing SRU so your models make me enjoy it even more :D

The type 23 is looking brilliant!
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

I think the Type 23 is starting to have most of the large details done.
There might be some small details left to add and I would probably want more noise and weathering especially on the decks. The hull could also do with a bit of noise as well as say running rust around the anchor.

Return to “Modding Show & Tell”