SRGW v. SRU

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

ArthurDesmond
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

SRGW v. SRU

Post by ArthurDesmond »

I first became interested in Supreme Ruler (aside from a foray into WW2 I forgot about until recently) via reviews of SRGW. When I found out about SRU it seemed more my style, because I like long term sandbox games. I ended up getting the Steam bundle with SRU and SRGW. What is the difference between the GW mod for SRU and SRGW?

I know SRU is at the end of its update life, so that's one. If this has been discussed elsewhere I'd appreciate anyone who could link me to it.
Rosalis
Colonel

Re: SRGW v. SRU

Post by Rosalis »

SRU was intended to end when SRGW came out. With nothing really drasticly changed, you can imagine how the discussion went. So they continued SRU instead of focusing further on SRGW. I guess bundle is a nice way to sell it. You dont get SRGW if you just own SRU. There is no difference.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Rosalis wrote: Jul 21 2020 SRU was intended to end when SRGW came out.
That's false.
Rosalis wrote: Jul 21 2020 With nothing really drasticly changed...
Also false; Steam matchmaking was added, big performance improvements and the groundwork for Steam Workshop (which ended up being for SRU)
ArthurDesmond wrote: Jul 21 2020 What is the difference between the GW mod for SRU and SRGW?
I don't remember the mod, but I'm confident in saying that it didn't include all the things we put into official released content; things like leader pics for all countries, large number of scripted events or the country orbats (starting military inventory).
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
ArthurDesmond
Warrant Officer

Post by ArthurDesmond »

I don't remember the mod, but I'm confident in saying that it didn't include all the things we put into official released content; things like leader pics for all countries, large number of scripted events or the country orbats (starting military inventory).
Based on that I will play my first 1914 sandbox in TGW to get the full experience.
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Allright i stongly remember tens of topics saying its the same by devs and protected community members, most recent ones i could find: https://steamcommunity.com/app/314980/d ... 586144325/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/314980/d ... 307949368/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/600280/d ... 652400578/ crisahl: "No difference, that's why you get both."

Most discussions about great war has been removed on steam SRU since posts only go back to nov 2019. Dont know why you would leave content out, since you need the dlc to play it in SRU.

Workshop wasnt add in SRGW like you said, so that spoils it that SRU was intended to end. There should be a post arround here on the forum. Luckily devs listened to feedback this time. WW1 multiplayer, yeah again luckily devs listened to feedback. The biggest thing that was add gameplay wise was the trenches, but a modder could have done the same thing. "big performance improvements" i kinda have my questions on those. Units not going for repair since it takes to much cpu, is that significant improvement changes? Or what about US not helping in wars, you mean those significant improvement changes? Or UK just watching France go to war with Belgium, France declaring war on UK and still sitting on their island?
Besides destroying gameplay, you might have some speed improvements on the short term, on the long term number of units will only grow since there are less losses then if allies are actually helping eachother.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Rosalis wrote: Jul 22 2020 Most discussions about great war has been removed on steam SRU since posts only go back to nov 2019. Dont know why you would leave content out, since you need the dlc to play it in SRU.
That's steam's doing, they have a maximum number of threads. Once you reach that, each new thread that's started kills the oldest one.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
ArthurDesmond
Warrant Officer

Post by ArthurDesmond »

Balthagor wrote: Jul 22 2020
Rosalis wrote: Jul 22 2020 Most discussions about great war has been removed on steam SRU since posts only go back to nov 2019. Dont know why you would leave content out, since you need the dlc to play it in SRU.
That's steam's doing, they have a maximum number of threads. Once you reach that, each new thread that's started kills the oldest one.
Quite a bizarre thing to do, given that text takes up virtually no space. Then again, forums always seem to be prone to technical issues.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It's one of the reasons we direct most traffic back here. I find the Steam forum search to be awful, rarely finds a the thread I'm looking for.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SRGW”