How to war?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Klauss Marcellus
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

How to war?

Post by Klauss Marcellus »

I've been using the Theater/Battlezone/Hotspot systems, and it kinda works at some level (with heavy casualties)

Problem is, the AI simply cannot take any enemy strongholds, such as capitals.
They will keep bashing my army randomsly and aimlessly towards the enemy positions, getting oblitareted by garrisions and infantry.

I tried to manually place my artillery on a high ground and siege their capital, but ironically the enemy also has arty in their capital, and they end up destroying my arty rather quickly.

What should I do to fix this issue?
Is there a better way to let the AI handle my army?
And what should I do to manually storm enemy capitals?
Rosalis
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: How to war?

Post by Rosalis »

What should I do to fix this issue?
Turn off AI control and be smarter then them

Is there a better way to let the AI handle my army?
no, but you can for example put units on high initiative to let them capture land, for example put them in a battlegroup, while you control the rest without ai initiative.

And what should I do to manually storm enemy capitals?
buy b2 strategic bomber and right click the capital. Also lock them from loading missiles, so they bring a full load of bombs.

Altho this work because of high stealth you are prolly looking for a strategy. Well just observe and be smarter then the AI. Tanks to absorb artillery damage and how many infantry you like, entrench them next to the city. Also notice the difference between hard and soft infantry. Soft infantry is usually efficient in killing but very bad in taking artillery shots or fighting tanks.

I also like to use special forces, but for a well defended capital thats kinda tricky. So you want to capture the capital before reaching it so its not fully defended. Load them in a big capacity heli or transport plane (Russia) and send them behind enemy lines, ofcourse protected by your air force. Once they are unloaded entrench them so they stay in the hex and get the defence city bonus and basicly thats about it. Well you also need to make sure your planes are gone before capturing the city or they land at the airbase to be destroyed, but yeah you notice that soon enough, if they circly 2 hexes away from the airbase thats usually good enough for them not to land in the city. I dont think save scumming before an operation like this is cheating. Just learn the game, try it out a few times and see whats more efficient. I rarely use artillery capturing capitals, cause usually i already destroyed most their units reaching the capital. Just let the ai bang their head against your cities and finish them off with fighter bombers in open terrain. Altho encircling in this game is pretty hard, killing units retreating to a barrack isnt.

Also surrender mechanic takes deployed units into account, so if you can bomb units in open terrain because of low supply for example, you should do that. The main thing to take into account is all cities provide 100% defence bonus, even abanded ones, you can also build trenches in 3 days which also provide 100% defence bonus. I guess complaints got too much so now all cities got 100% defence bonus instead of actually thinking whats the best place to defend.

Also most gamers are impatient, but real tactics used are usually hit and retreat, unless you are much stronger then the enemy. This way you make the most out of your units with good supply. If you hit a city for example and retreat, most likely they will send all units out of the city to chase you i guess so you can kill them easily.

Altho Germany is very good nation, to really learn the game in a slower pace, South Africa can provide you with everything and after that you really know how to control an army. If you won the air war you won the war. So AA and multirole or interceptors are far more important then artillery when you ready to advance and your main focus should be to kill these.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”