The Future of Supreme Ruler Development / SR Next Generation

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

George Geczy
General

The Future of Supreme Ruler Development / SR Next Generation

Post by George Geczy »

There will be another free update to SRU in the next few weeks, adding a number of new features (including planned Steam Workshop support!)

However this will be our final free update of Supreme Ruler Ultimate - after five years and dozens of free updates including hundreds of new features and new content, we have reached the limit of the resources we can devote to more work on SRU, and also the limit of what can be done with the current engine and maintain compatibility. We are now working on a new engine for our next title, Galactic Ruler.

We have also heard a lot from our player community about the desire to support new SR development in some way - through DLC, crowdfunding, or a new title.

Check out our latest developer Q&A where we discuss the future of the Supreme Ruler franchise and options for new development going forward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so6fU4vCjU4

Please feel free to add your ideas about Next Generation SR here, or join the discussion in our BattleGoat Discord server https://discord.gg/hn2uqzf

As always thank you to our incredible players and supporters, many of whom have been following us and the Supreme Ruler series for almost 20 years.

-- The BattleGoat Team
Rosalis
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: The Future of Supreme Ruler Development / SR Next Generation

Post by Rosalis »

I dont care much for new features. Most important thing for me is love for the scenario. If i look at 2020 SRU campaigns all i see is neglected regions, cant even call them countries. Lots has happened irl, nothing has been drasticly changed besides some pictues of leaders. Economy has suffered because of older scenarios. Besides US and Russia world is hurting to compose a balanced military. So one feature request would be countries which import mass ammount of units get the design or a black market kinda thing where you can buy units. Also world need to be balanced, pretty boring if everyone join US sphere. Every time i play a new game, i want to see new things happen, not every game everyone joining US sphere. Because Russia, China, North Korea are declaring wars and honor the game, US sit in america doing nothing, and if it does something its annexing america. Everytime someone declare war, the other side should declare a war on someone too, no political bias, just keep it balanced. Smaller regions should focus on strengthen alliances cloose to them. That's main issues in my opinion.

Anyway good to hear you guys have future plans after the space game.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I suggest you make the next SR at least 100 years in the future. The Earth will still be here, we will still have nations in 100 years, no need to drastically change the format.

Then you will not get bogged down by people requesting you change this or that minor thing which has no bearing on the overall game. This will mean much less time dealing with inconsequential things and more time spent with things that matter.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I would like to start my post by saying thank you to all the Goats for their continuing support - I've been a player of the series ever since SR2010 (about 18 years ago I got a copy!).

I do have suggestions for SR:NG:
- 1900 - this start could then have the Russian Revolution in it amongst other new events.
- 1860 - this could then cover the ironclad period and forward, including the scramble for Africa and the American civil war.
- A 1960's/70's start for cold war.
- The way demand is calculated for the economy, I've suggested it over on the forums (viewtopic.php?f=70&t=31334) but basically involves using a slider scale on a per nation basis, rather than a one size fits all slider.
- Making fuel supplying units, this would mean ships being capable of only refuelling from proper tankers (viewtopic.php?f=70&t=31315). The benefit would be lower military goods demands from the big supply ships which really were tankers. Would also mean said tankers could be used to transport vast armies now.
- Another "future" start.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

If I can ask, what are the possibilities for development of the new engined SR at this moment? Close to none, low, medium, high or certain?
and in what timeframe (ETA)?
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Copied from another thread:
DeadGargoyle wrote: Mar 06 2020 I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for the next gen, I'm sure some of it isn't feasible but I'll support you whatever you guys do!

Maybe have the AI do weekly, or monthly, or quarterly calculations instead of daily, to help keep the game flowing.
I would like to have a pool of Dept. Ministers and Generals to hire, fire, and choose from, ranging from one to five in effectiveness or leadership, the higher the number, the more expensive.
In the Land Dept.
-under hotspot settings, a brief description of each action. I mean whats the difference between battle support and assistance? why is there two different air supports?
-when population in a battlezone or area reaches "X' you can build a village or small town, when the population reaches "y" you can build a city (or maybe invest or subsidize it)
In the State Dept.
-under Free Trade Agreement, impose tariffs to imported commodities with countries that don't have a free trade agreement with you.
-under Criminal Extradition, demand that spies caught or suspected of espionage be turned over to you, but may result in a relations penalty.
-ability to sell conquered territories or battlezones to other countries.
-form coalitions against war mongers.
In the Finance Dept.
-Congress must vote on tax hikes and spending increases for democracy countries, the "Congress" is a just a direct relation to the country's D.A.R. or average social rating
In the Production Dept.
-ability to see the stats and output efficiency of individual production facilities. (coal, petrol, ore)
-the distance of production facilities from other prod. facilities that rely on them also affects the efficiency and supply. i.e. a military goods facility should be built close to a land production or missile production facilities, industrial goods facilities should be built near mines or power facilities, consumer goods near cities and towns ... something like that
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

I also like an option to disable merchant marine all together or atleast make them use land route whenever possible. Each time i defend North Korea the injured units of Russia think its good idea to transform into merchant marine on the west side and pass whole south korea and Japan to get back to Russia. The land route is obviously safer and faster.

Entrenching when the ai is loosing is also high on my wishlist. Make wars longer and give allies the chance to help. People complaining wars take to long because of lack of resources, well in 2020 its over too fast in my opinion.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Zuikaku wrote: Mar 06 2020 If I can ask, what are the possibilities for development of the new engined SR at this moment? Close to none, low, medium, high or certain?
At this stage now I can say that our plans our "certain". Player reception for the idea has been pretty positive, and so we're now making plans to allocate the resources to move forward. We expect to bring on some people in May who will be working exclusively on SR-NextGen development.

The largest "unknowns" are:
- the method of funding development, although we seem to be leaning towards making it a new stand-alone project
- what features are priorities for our players and potential players, and we are feverishly (but not corona-virus feverishly) making notes on what people are requesting (on top of what everyone has asked for in the past).

A stand-alone SRNextGen (as opposed to DLC) allows us to ignore compatibility and drive forward some significant engine changes, including 64 bit support and expanded data structures to support things that are impossible in the current engine.

-- George.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

George Geczy wrote: Mar 06 2020
Zuikaku wrote: Mar 06 2020 If I can ask, what are the possibilities for development of the new engined SR at this moment? Close to none, low, medium, high or certain?
At this stage now I can say that our plans our "certain". Player reception for the idea has been pretty positive, and so we're now making plans to allocate the resources to move forward. We expect to bring on some people in May who will be working exclusively on SR-NextGen development.

The largest "unknowns" are:
- the method of funding development, although we seem to be leaning towards making it a new stand-alone project
- what features are priorities for our players and potential players, and we are feverishly (but not corona-virus feverishly) making notes on what people are requesting (on top of what everyone has asked for in the past).

A stand-alone SRNextGen (as opposed to DLC) allows us to ignore compatibility and drive forward some significant engine changes, including 64 bit support and expanded data structures to support things that are impossible in the current engine.

-- George.
Good thing that we do not have to post suggestions all over again (if you have noted them before). And for the funding, as I have suggested on the other topic, maybe you shoul'd try Talonsoft's approach. But since I don't really know results of your previous titles, I'm not the right person for that kind of suggestion.

Are some data from the SRU going to be compatible with SRTNG (sounds like Star Trek TNG a bit :D )? Like unit database?
milivoje02
Colonel

Post by milivoje02 »

More agesive USA and the introduction of its bases around the world that are currently present. Tradeing teritory by map hex cordinate would be a great option. Division of mineral resources,lithium and titanium are important for new technologies.
And technologies which were before 2000 to be easily researched because they are already largely outdated and transcended.
Example: Modern Aircraft 2 is need 3 ears to devolop and its is a 1991 ear tehnology,Future Combat Aircraft from 2012 ear is need 1 ear to devolop. So technologies that are currently over 30 years old should be more easily to devolop because they are 30 years old and they are no secret.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

milivoje02 wrote: Mar 06 2020 More agesive USA and the introduction of its bases around the world that are currently present. Tradeing teritory by map hex cordinate would be a great option. Division of mineral resources,lithium and titanium are important for new technologies.
And technologies which were before 2000 to be easily researched because they are already largely outdated and transcended.
Example: Modern Aircraft 2 is need 3 ears to devolop and its is a 1991 ear tehnology,Future Combat Aircraft from 2012 ear is need 1 ear to devolop. So technologies that are currently over 30 years old should be more easily to devolop because they are 30 years old and they are no secret.
Tell that to the Chinese who struggle to develop jet engine technology 30-40 years old or the Indians who struggle (rather unsuccessfully) with '80s era aircraft and/or tank tech :D
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Zuikaku wrote: Mar 06 2020
milivoje02 wrote: Mar 06 2020 More agesive USA and the introduction of its bases around the world that are currently present. Tradeing teritory by map hex cordinate would be a great option. Division of mineral resources,lithium and titanium are important for new technologies.
Tell that to the Chinese who struggle to develop jet engine technology 30-40 years old or the Indians who struggle (rather unsuccessfully) with '80s era aircraft and/or tank tech :D
Can we respect eachother wishes? Now 95% of 2020 regions are researching ww1 techs for the first few years, because priority on these techs are high. So he certainly got a point. Military techs maybe not, but social and technology techs should be easily researched once half the world got it researched. For example improved power grid. If China come to a country like we fix your electric demand in return for this or that, then boom that region got improved power grid IV. No need to discuss this for the 100th time.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Rosalis wrote: Mar 06 2020
Zuikaku wrote: Mar 06 2020
Can we respect eachother wishes? Now 95% of 2020 regions are researching ww1 techs for the first few years, because priority on these techs are high. So he certainly got a point. Military techs maybe not, but social and technology techs should be easily researched once half the world got it researched. For example improved power grid. If China come to a country like we fix your electric demand in return for this or that, then boom that region got improved power grid IV. No need to discuss this for the 100th time.
I just trieed to say that not all "old" techs are easily accesible/researchable to everyone. Let's be honest, at least 50% of countries are not capable to produce simplest internal combustion engines (or even steam engines) on their own. So what do you think how many of them are capable to produce WW2 era tank, aircraft or ship (with all known blueprints)?
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

And thats why older scenarios make small to medium 2020 regions weak. Solution forget about older scenarios and like mentioned before go atleast 10 years into the future. Time for a good reflection of the world like in SR2020. But your not telling me if Russia wanted, China would have long developed the weapons you refer to. What do you think will happen if US declare war on China?
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Rosalis wrote: Mar 06 2020 And thats why older scenarios make small to medium 2020 regions weak. Solution forget about older scenarios and like mentioned before go atleast 10 years into the future. Time for a good reflection of the world like in SR2020. But your not telling me if Russia wanted, China would have long developed the weapons you refer to. What do you think will happen if US declare war on China?
Then we all die.

One of the problem is that AI never shares techs with it's allies.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”