The Future of Supreme Ruler Development / SR Next Generation

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

TheCyab6a
Lt. Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: The Future of Supreme Ruler Development / SR Next Generation

Post by TheCyab6a »

Balthagor wrote: Jun 06 2021
MattTheDamon wrote: Jun 06 2021 ...There should be a minimum for fuel supply like 0.5 or 1 % if you own the territory.
I disagree with this, there should be places that literally cannot reach any resupply of gas or bullets.

I do, however, agree that we should do more to teach the AI to avoid getting trapped in these areas. Potentially, trapped units like this could eventually surrender.
the ai will almost certainly send supply trucks to rescue the stuck tanks in Siberia perhaps make the supply truck generate a permanent area of 1 or 2 hexes that are constantly supplied so they will not get stuck like they do and only affect resupply of units not construction. make it so they do not generate this supply area until they are out of a supply zone created by roads or buildings. idk how it would effect the game tho but I can see it relieving the issue that has been around since the beginning.

I say this as if it's easy to design stuff like this lol. but it's just a thought
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

The out of supply units in remote area tend to ruin the games. I guess AI gets stuck in some kind of loop.
AI wants to take some remote city. Send units. They got stuck out of supply somewhere in the middle of the nowhere. Then it sends trucks to ressuply. Truck too get out of supply. AI check if that remote city is taken. Ofcourse it is not so it sends a new batch of units... who all get stucked out of supply. Supply trucks are being dispatched but they do nothing, just pile up along the way. Eventually AI tries to ressuply by air, but in these areas airfields are far away and transport aircraft can not really efficiently ressuply hundreds of stucked units.

In one of my last games UK and Turkey fought for Arabian peninsula. After a few years thousands of immobilized, starved units littered the desert. Both regions were vulnerable to attacks on other fronts since most of their armies were sitting idly in the desert.

Solutions?
1. AI does not try to take these remote places.
2. AI does not send additional units if there are unsupplied ones along the way. Thisway trucks woul'd have a decent chance to ressuply units.
3. AI tries to take remote places by airborne drops. Too bad AI is just to dumb to do this.
4. AI builds airports or ressuply bases along the path. But AI just don't do that.
5. Stucked units who are out of supply slowly lose moralle and efficiency. When one or both drops to zero, unit is disbanded. When such a unit is attacked it surrenders.
6. Out of supply units can still crawl certain amount of km per day. But this makes fuel capacity somewhat unneeded.
7. Out of supply units can have full replenishment of fuel once per month if regional stocks are high enough and units are not cut off or surrounded (can trace the path to the nearest supply source).

I think number 7 is easiest to implement and is a good workaround.
Please teach AI everything!
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Units show no importance to roads, rails is a bit better since the rail patch. There is just no reason to defend (or capture) a city where supply cant reach and infrastucture is non existent.
Besides that Zukiaku's 4 was also a thing in SR2020. Since devs claim paradox didnt play a single role in development, then i cant think of a reason why this is an issue. For a new game some ambition cant hurt. There is 80% of the army out of supply, maybe its an idea to improve the supply. Maybe supply ships can also do their job. Like a check once a month for units out of supply.

Units seem kinda in conflict. Dont want to capture a defended city, but the undefended city only give them problems. You entrench key cities and ai doesnt know what to do. Kinda wonder how galactic ruler handles this, but the non existent feedback doesnt promise much good.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Another ideas for improvements:

- AI to use strategic bombers (en mass) for bombing cities and industry. Now AI uses them like tactical bombers for bombing enemy units.

- population in non city hexes to be reduced when combat occurs. In wars civilian population in countyside suffered as well. Now, after heavy and longtinme combats we can see towns with significantly reduced population, but countyside is not affected at all - leading to more people living in countryside than in towns.

- increase production capacity of MG factories. They are somewhat too low.

- ability for player and AI to enable "war production". Portion of IG factories now produce MGs with 50% efficiency penalty.

- AI just don't know what to do with damaged units as war progresses. Repair ques tend to be clogged with 100s of units needing repairs. Make AI to prioritize (scrap obsolete units, prioritize repair of experienced units) hold repairs for battleships which tend to suck up MGs)

- make AI more agressive in selling older/obsolete units.

-Stop AI from building countless units when not in war. Build in some unit limit with formula calculating in region population, GDP, landa area and government type.

- more rebels and guerrillas

- providing arms can actually spawn guerilla in targeted region

- ability to fuel civil wars and initiate ones
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

Some solid ideas there, i like it.

- make AI more agressive in selling older/obsolete units.

This is debatable. In 2020 i find regions with no old equipment and very few modern units. Rich small regions in particular, they can definetely use the numbers. For example i cant think of Germany or Netherlands getting rid of their 'old' aircract anytime soon. And even the old Leopards which most were sold have been put back in action in Netherlands. More agressive is too simple of a statement. For superpowers yes i agree, especially if you remain as regid with unit designs like F35, but hopefully they will work on a good trade system.
Threat, money and relations are some things to take into account. Lack of manpower can maybe trigger superpowers to sell equipment, so it can suport other big expences. Plus increasing influence and trade in doing so.
And ofcourse it should be possible to create the next superpower.

-Stop AI from building countless units when not in war. Build in some unit limit with formula calculating in region population, GDP, landa area and government type.

I have also seen the negatives. Belgium was defending France very succesfull and then France declared war and Belgium hardly had a single stack left. Didnt train new units, because it wasnt at war. Some minimum tresholds are needed too.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I also strongly suggest to expand the so called "battle for Atlantic". We shoul'd be able to wage submarine warfare against all mayor export or import regions or at least UK, USA, Japan, Australia, France, China, India, Italy, Russia (and many more).

Also, internal migrations. Population slowly moves from "empty" hexes to cities and hexes with industrial facilities.

Ability for hexes to switch loyalty. That depends on migrations, internal policies, and loyalties of neighbouring hexes. This prosess is slow and unlikely to happen but iIT MAY happen.

Ability to order colonies not to participate in wars of parent region.
AEWHistory
Lieutenant

Post by AEWHistory »

Saad Salman wrote: Apr 21 2020 Improve diplomacy because AI does not make peace even though their capital sits on my doorstep and please add a feature to annex the hexes I want and colonise or liberate the rest
Absolutely! For me, one of the great weaknesses to this series has been the “all-or-nothing” way it deals with war and peace. There are many limited wars that do not lead to the conquest of one state by another. consequently, there should be a more realistic set of circumstances that allows for peace treaties or perhaps pauses in the war. The Arab-Israeli conflict is a good example where the fighting has come and gone and territory has been traded back and forth, but no nation has ever been conquered.

I could foresee something like this: the nation winning the war offers to take only part of what they’ve conquered. The losing party accepts, but then remains extremely hostile to their neighbor and plots for revenge. Now THAT is the way our species handles things….. :P
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

AEWHistory wrote: Dec 22 2021 I could foresee something like this: the nation winning the war offers to take only part of what they’ve conquered. The losing party accepts, but then remains extremely hostile to their neighbor and plots for revenge. Now THAT is the way our species handles things….. :P
If your talking loyalty thats sometimes the case. Money, influence and access to resources is most important tho. Japan-US best buddies now. Germany-Netherlands best buddies now, UK and their ex slave colonies, best buddies now, Its just not as black and white and for me there are other issues. I scrapped half the world released them and they didnt build anything but research centers... so....what about ai. It is a geopolitical game no? They rather starve 50% of population of CG because of world shortage. But then again that CG price just stay the same despite the world shortage.

Dont get me wrong when you annexing the most powerfull regions, maybe it would be an idea to form an coalition against you (or Russia ai).
The coaltion thats formed could liberate regions after the war is over, but then the question becomes which form of goverment. I guess mayority of occupied territory implement the goverment of that region and a formal alliance or something to boost trade.

Im just thankfull for the Canadian army, and allies, in 1945. Real hero's (back then atleast).

Talking about SRNG, we would get more information about it at the end of the year. Decisions made on the era('s)?
milivoje02
Colonel

Post by milivoje02 »

Hello everyone :) I there any news about this game ? When we can expect new Super Ruler Ultimate ?
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

From Whismerhill on Discord:
if you're taking in suggestions toward future Supreme Ruler Titles (or whatever) :
https://prnt.sc/8IgTm5qqi5iv
I suggest to show more summary data from these tech cards
for example fuel/range = fuel efficiency per km
this is interesting to tailor your units decisions to your army/country

or ammo/combat time = ammo efficiency
which can be interesting when military goods are in limited supply
also ranges should show tiles or alternatively have an option to show tiles directly beside the km range or instead of km range, avoiding unnecessary calculations
sure you can recall all the multiples of 16 but still.

also land should be subdivided in at least CloseQuarters & OpenFields
but ideally would also show hard targets proficiency

reasoning behind all these is to be able to make more accurate decisions on units technologies & building decisions at a glance rather than studying every single number of full tech cards (which are amazing to have, it gives a sense of realism)

additionally revise the UI to be able to compare multiple full tech cards side by side.
and allow adding surnames to units
Last edited by SGTscuba on Apr 16 2022, edited 1 time in total.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Make it so that when troops use rails to move, a physical train appears on the map a bit like the Merchant Marines do at sea. They could then have lower defence stats which could make them easier to destroy if they "drive" straight into enemy forces.

Train supply vehicles that could be physically built but tied to just railway lines. These could potentially burn coal, petrol or use electricity depending on the loco (if this is actually possible). A selection of vehicles could be created fairly easily I think.

I would also propose a "strategic reserve" for auto transport units. This would mean you could assign ships, planes, trucks and trains to it and these would be used for the auto transport rather then having merchant marines magically appear on the map in their thousands. It would also mean that you could sink enough ships and stop the transport of units, giving a better battle of the Atlantic feel. The same would go for land units where interdiction could become more of a thing with units forced to burn fuel.

evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

SGTscuba wrote: Apr 14 2022 Make it so that when troops use rails to move, a physical train appears on the map a bit like the Merchant Marines do at sea. They could then have lower defence stats which could make them easier to destroy if they "drive" straight into enemy forces.

Train supply vehicles that could be physically built but tied to just railway lines. These could potentially burn coal, petrol or use electricity depending on the loco (if this is actually possible). A selection of vehicles could be created fairly easily I think.

I would also propose a "strategic reserve" for auto transport units. This would mean you could assign ships, planes, trucks and trains to it and these would be used for the auto transport rather then having merchant marines magically appear on the map in their thousands. It would also mean that you could sink enough ships and stop the transport of units, giving a better battle of the Atlantic feel. The same would go for land units where interdiction could become more of a thing with units forced to burn fuel.
almost sounds like Imperialism 1 - and that means good.
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

evildari wrote: Apr 14 2022
SGTscuba wrote: Apr 14 2022 Make it so that when troops use rails to move, a physical train appears on the map a bit like the Merchant Marines do at sea. They could then have lower defence stats which could make them easier to destroy if they "drive" straight into enemy forces.

almost sounds like Imperialism 1 - and that means good.
tbf, it probably wouldn't take me long to knock up some models. They'd just need someone good to texture them.

Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

With actual train units tied to the rails it would probably not be too hard to also add armoured trains and railway artillery.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Nerei wrote: Apr 14 2022 With actual train units tied to the rails it would probably not be too hard to also add armoured trains and railway artillery.
good point.

Return to “General Discussion - SRUltimate”