Oil and Refined Resources

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

ImperiorIL
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Oil and Refined Resources

Post by ImperiorIL »

I've put a lot of thought about which resources would add the most to playability and if the game resource system was made more modular, what I would add first if I could only add a few.
The answer that stuck to me as clear as the light of day is Gas.

Currently, oil power is completely useless, no player in their right mind builds it other than for RP. And it makes sense, petrol power is pretty much inexistent in real life. It is simply much better to transform oil into fuel.
However, gas "cannot" be made into fuel. But is a great and less polluting source of electricity and heat.

So, what I would propose is the following:
Have gas as a resource, separate from petroleum. Gas is cheap and can produce power at a price competitive with coal, in especial after efficiency techs you get in the >2000s.
Make electricity a much harder problem to solve, more demand, more use for production, harder to make. And definitely implement consequences for pollution (coal should have a downside).

If, dreammer me, the engine was made to be expandable to n number of resources dynamically, I'd say, on top of bringing back water (which should become an input for agriculture), I'd also do the following:
-Separate ore into "common" (aka iron, copper, bauxite, etc) and rare (aka iridium, niobium, titanium, etc).
-Add refined metal, and fuel. Metal is made from common ore+electricity+coal(techs can replace coal with electricity and reduce pollution). Fuel can be made from petroleum, agriculture (bio), coal (synt), or electricity (synt).
-Add vehicles and ammunition as refined goods categories. Many units could then require vehicles instead of military goods. And ammunition would be cheaper but more ore intensive to produce, in order to make artillery pre-1950s viable.

Else, if I was going to really ask for a dragoon unicorn, I'd ask for a change in the production calculation where missing rubber for production just reduces the output but doesn't zero it. It is pretty much impossible to play in 1914 as the Central Powers because of rubber. And rubber as is implemented right now also makes 0 sense to export, ever, the facility cost cannot be covered by the production even at 100% markup, and synt is never ever profitable. It needs a cost/production rebalance.
ImperiorIL
Warrant Officer

Re: Oil and Refined Resources

Post by ImperiorIL »

Oh, it should be noted that there is seemingly a glitch in the game.

When you research the 1930s techs for improved power grid, it doesn't increase capacity, it increases efficiency.
So, for all scenarios after that tech the consumption of coal/petroleum/uranium is actually just 1/3 of what it used to be before improved power grid was added.

That's right, you get 3x the amount of electricity you used to in the CW and 2020 scenarios per unit of coal/petroleum/uranium. The quick fix for it is to simply triple inputs in the wmData, but long term the tech itself should probably be made to increase capacity instead of efficiency, unless that was the intended effect in which case the quick fix is the final fix.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Yeah, it would probably be good if it increase raw materials in line too. That would also increase demand for raw materials which would have other benefits further down the line for the AI making money
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
ImperiorIL
Warrant Officer

Post by ImperiorIL »

Exactly, so in WW2 oil doesn't feel nearly scarce enough. Ore is worthlessly abundant. Coal is never an issue at any start date no matter how big you get...
And, you know, extracting raw ore and crude oil should be different from refining fuel and melting metal alloys.

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”