Easy suggestions to make game better

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Chivalry
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Easy suggestions to make game better

Post by Chivalry »

Easy solutions to make game better:

Problem 1- Research
Big countries with too many research facilities tend to advance so fast in the tech tree whereas countries with low amount of research facilities fall too far behind.

In real world, technology is hard to develop but once something is developed it will relatively easily spread to world.

How to make sure some less advanced countries will not absurdly (like in 2040 people still trying to figure out how to build ww2 plane where some other countires using dark matter to generate energy) fall behind in technology?

Solution: Both success chance and mission time of espionage is increased.
What will you achieve with this: Less advanced countries with very low amount of research centers will have much higher chance to get new techs from advanced countries, but learning their tech will take more time (like 1 year) so they will not so easily close the tech gap.

For example: In current game, you have to try 20 times to finally steal a tech from other country, one espionage mission takes about 60 days. This results in unnecessary micro management, unnecessary try-again situations. Instead, you can have succesful espionage every 3 attempt, and 1 attemps takes 200 days.

Result: Less micromanagement, less annoying try-agains. Less gap in tech.
Codding wise this should be fairly easy to implent because all you have to do is tweaking the numbers.

Problem 2- Unit Range (Attacking and Spotting)
Units have ranges as shown as KM, but the worlds is build around hexes. This causes unnecessary calculations on player side. For example, my artillery has 42km range and enemy artillery has 32 km range, in scenarios like this i have to calculate these numbers and translate them to hexes to make my strategy, which is unnecessary burden to my brain (for example “what is 42 km? Is it 2 hex or 3 hex?).

Solution: Ranges should be shown as hexes instead of km in unit details.

For example:
- Medium range artillery has attack range of 3 hex, spotting range of 2 hex.
- Long range artillery has attack range of 4 hex, spotting 2 hex,
- F-22 has air attack range of 5 hex, spotting range of 7 hex etc.

This way:
1-It’s easier for newer players to understand combat mechanics
2-It’s easier for everyone else to calculate unit ranges

Problem 3- Unit Repair
Unit repair as it is now causes unfair gameplay. Because, building new units is limited to factories you have whereas repairing has not limit.

For example: I can build maximum 108 (2 units) tanks at the same time if i want to create new units, but i can build unlimited amounts of tank if i repair my tank battalions.

Solution:
1-Repairing units only possible in a factory. (Currently in game you can repair in any barracks) [this change is easy to implement)
2-Repairing a unit should occupy a factories unit creation spot, similar to creating a unit. [this change can be harder to implement]

Problem 4- Missiles
Missiles (or atleast certain missiles) should be able to target specific buildings. Currently in game, if there is a enemy unit in a hex, you cannot target buildings with missiles. I’m not sure this is a bug or intended, but this is not logical and gameplay wise its bad.

In a strategy game, the strategic aspect of the game should be very important. For example, i want to hit my enemies important buildings like research centers, airbases, land bases, barracks etc. With my tomahawks, but i cannot because they have units in the hex. However, what makes a strategy game great is allowing players to do strategic moves.

Solution: Make (some) missiles be able to select individual buildings even if there are units in the hex.

Problem 5- Some buildings are lacking importance

Example: A nuclear powerplant produces merely more electric compared to a coal powerplant. This makes targeting them/protecting them less important.

Solution: Some buildings like nuclear powerplants should have higher importance for the country. This can be done by increasing their output and their cost. [this is easy to implement because all you have to do is tweaking numbers]

Problem 6- Unit comparison
The game is lacking the ui to compare units. If you want to compare units by their stats, you have to either memorize the stats, or you have to write them down.

Solution: It would be very lovely and handy if we had a ui to compare units or if this is hard to implement other solution would be allowing to player to open two unit screens at once and make the unit screen moveable so we can look two units at once.

Problem 7- Maximum unit in a hex
Currently the number is 7, but the game has so many unit types that this limit stands low. If you want a complete squadron you can only have 1 of each unit type, for example:

1x mobile radar or recon
1x infantry
1x tank
1x anti-tank
1x artillery
1x anti air
1x supply truck

Total of 7 units.

This way you cannot customize your squadrons as you would like, for example i want a squadron that has “decent artillery and good anti-air” i should be able to have:

1x mobile radar or recon
1x infantry
1x tank
1x anti-tank
2x artillery
3x anti air
1x supply truck

Total of 10 units. 7 units in a hex is too limiting when you consider the amount of unit types in game.
Plus, increasing the limit in a hex helps lowering the micromanagement needed. In current game, because i cannot build all-round squadrons, i have to build seperate armies that excell at one point of warfare for example: 7x tank squadrons, 1xtank+6xartillery, squadros etc. Which creates unnecessary micro-management.

With increasing unit limit in a hex, you reduce the micro-management needed.

Solution: Increase unit limit in a hex to something between 9-11. [Easy to implement, only number tweaking needed.]

Thank you.
YaYo7
Lieutenant

Re: Easy suggestions to make game better

Post by YaYo7 »

on 4, 6, 7 i agree, support! :)
Nerei
General

Post by Nerei »

For point 6 I recommend using the asset manager. Chances are it is better than any tool you will get in-game.
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

1. Research
more then 1 ways to fix that, but i agree with problem of not spreading tech arround the world once it researched. But yeah thats very hard to get right. Some techs are easily spread like internet and others will be more secret. Your solution wouldnt be enough tho, as good as it is. As far as i know AI doesnt steal technologies only recon, so yeah. Other things that could be improved are each time tech is research it will become cheaper and shorter (in its sphere). Or you could just use hardcoded figures like SR2020 and use tech level to calculate how fast the tech should be researched. Another thing that could be improved is focus/priority on smaller regions. Which techs do they need to research. A future good design or effect could maybe help prioritse that. No need to research 10 helicopter techs with nothing in return if you dont even have infantry to produce.

2. Unit Range (Attacking and Spotting)
For me as european no problem and once you know 1 hex is 16 km which you can figure out in the game. I can calculate 2x16 or 3x16 pretty easy. Atleast the measuring tool is still in the game.

3. Unit Repair
I think this isnt a good solution at all. Infact i see the problem in another area. Micro management. Why low initiative doesnt repair my units, but i still maintain my front line? Unneeded micro management. I understand complaints, but yeah you just needed to secure the route back to the barracks,
If you can only repair once a slot is open 1 you create a huge waiting line, not fighting back because they have the repair order, 2 AI will prolly have land fabs producing units since its at war. Wars would be over in couple of days fighting. Thats the only help the AI got right now. If it escapes it can compete for a long time with the player (good way to grind XP).

4. Missiles
No question about it. This just got removed or broken and need to be put back in. Dont limit. Give penalties if you dont agree.

5. Some buildings are lacking importance
I agree with your statement, but personally i see bigger problem in getting access to agriculture, simply because its seen as most important resource, doesnt mean everyone should be able to fulfill their demand. Again there are many ways to fix a problem and you should try to use all to give a better experience. Nuclear power is better in my opinion, less workers needed i think, but who knows workers even exist. I just notice it can help if you need people to replace coal with nuclear power, but you need the finances to suport this. Again AI is screwed with nuclear power tho. US will buy it all for nuclear missiles it will never use. Just like Ukraine need metal for their industry and Malaysia need rubber for their Consumer goods.

6. Unit comparison
Again something removed to improve the UI i guess.

7. Maximum unit in a hex
In SR2020 there is a very strict policy. 7 units occupy the hex and can stay there, 3 more can transfer the hex. The max a hex can have is 10 in all ways. In SRU i was defending Belgium against France one time. They got 700 units in a single town/hex to fight my 20 something units i can entrench in a town (again this number is very random). Simply because they got the AI order to take that city, that way you can have unlimited ammount of troops in a single hex, as long they keep fighting for that city they want to move into. Ofcourse i reloaded the save and gave up on that bordering city. In Short numbers are all over the place. I prefer the SR2020 method, but yeah i understand that people complained about that.

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”