Tech Research limit

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Tech Research limit

Post by mrgenie »

In our multiplayer with "edited economical values in the WMDATA" we can continue the game for decades without running negative..

in the normal game data from BG we always run bankrupt on the long run. So we're tweaking not to and using WMDATA follow up files.. 10 files are supported by the game engine

BUT it means eventually you can also have 30 research laboratories.

It means in 1945, Germany after conquering all of western Europe, is technologically researching 1980 tech.

To avoid this abuse by the human, a tech should not be able to be researched PRIOR to the guy who came up with the idea actually figuring it out.

Meaning, if someone got the idea about some invention in 1946, you shouldn't be able to research it prior to 1946 even if you have a zillion research labs.
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Tech Research limit

Post by Balthagor »

I disagree with this suggestion. We had a tech level system similar to what you're describing in SR2010 and I prefer our current system.

Also, you say "always go bankrupt" but I've been able to play games running 20+ game years with large treasury totals.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
evildari
Brigadier Gen.

Post by evildari »

got a rather more technical question to "Tech Research limit"
1. what is the total amount of techs the game support ?
2. are there any techs that needs to be there due to hardcoding - if yes please give numbers (i suspect those tech races , for satellites iam not sure) ?

another suggestion:
since the game tries to use purchasing-power-parity (i guess with help of gdp/c) (althoug it seems to be bugged for production costs), the research costs are still a fixed value.
Could the countries research costs of a nation for a both research costs also be based on the relation of its gdp/c compared to the base gdp/c as established in current wmdata ?
my mods
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=25932 (even techs and units for everyone - AI will own you too)
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=29326 (MARSX2)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

1. 2048 techs
2. Not specific techs, but some tech effects. I don't have a list though.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Balthagor wrote: Jul 23 2019 I disagree with this suggestion. We had a tech level system similar to what you're describing in SR2010 and I prefer our current system.

Also, you say "always go bankrupt" but I've been able to play games running 20+ game years with large treasury totals.
Well I can see the logic in "the more money you spend in research the faster you get there"
I agree that's more logical. But in a game "logical" doesn't always give you the best gaming experience.

I like to play "underdog" and try to build up. While someone else likes playing high GDP country that practically already won at least economically.

But playing smarter with the "military assets" the underdog might still be able to expand and hold off the larger player, IF technologically they weren't that far off from each other.

But playing multiplayer Germany and India that's practically impossibly. In 1952 India is at technology 1980 and Germany already 2030.
Germany just build it's 40th research center and nothing can get close.

So maybe make this "optional" at the start of a game? To put "technologies" unlimited by default. But especially during multiplayer allow players to
set technologies "enabled per year?"

I always thought when modding for civilization myself, that giving players such important game decisions as "optional" was the right way to go forward.

A lot of suggestions players had for me, I didn't agree to. So I just made it optional to those who requested it and always had happy players :)

1) 20 years I usually had a large treasury as well. I'm talking long term games. Somehow the costs seem to increase with a exponential curve..
2) You probably always played high GDP countries.. the daunting task is try to play the underdog, like North Korea, Iran, etc and still manage to
make your stand. But these "low GDP countries" are always limited at expanding not militaristic, but somehow they always go bankrupt and to me
that just doesn't make sense. If I have twice as many people and a larger economy, why would I go bankrupt?

During WWII Germany expanded and it's economy grew and they got stronger.
USSR lost countries and got poorer and faced bankruptcy, according to Stalin USSR had only 4 months and for that reason he had his soviet spies in the USA
to persuade the American president to rescue Russia. Many people think of Lend and Lease just in terms of tanks or airplanes. But lend and lease was much more.
It supplied raw materials, manufacturer materials and yes also the GOLD and $$$ to keep Russia from going bankrupt.

So as in reality my country grows and I get more funds to wage war, in the game I don't necessarily see this. At least not playing low GDP countries.
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”