Techtrees : Units for minor countries

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Von Thoma
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Techtrees : Units for minor countries

Post by Von Thoma »

As SR always also offers SANDBOX game it isn't really fun to play one of the minors, as you aren't able to research any good units !

FOR GAMEPLAY REASON and fun, please make it possible that a minor nation also is able to research special units !

X.) There should be a building or an ADD ON (University) for the research building which defines which TECH UNITS could be build ...
as there are now already infrastructure techs, which couldn't be traded, it makes no sense that minor countries are not allowed to develop such units, even their infrastructure qualify for it

It reduces the fun to play minors ...

PLEASE CONSIDER A WAY that this is possible
THANK YOU !

for the sake of gameplay ...
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: Techtrees : Units for minor countries

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Von Thoma wrote:As SR always also offers SANDBOX game it isn't really fun to play one of the minors, as you aren't able to research any good units ! FOR GAMEPLAY REASON and fun, please make it possible that a minor nation also is able to research special units !
X.) There should be a building or an ADD ON (University) for the research building which defines which TECH UNITS could be build ...
as there are now already infrastructure techs, which couldn't be traded, it makes no sense that minor countries are not allowed to develop such units, even their infrastructure qualify for it
It reduces the fun to play minors ...
PLEASE CONSIDER A WAY that this is possible. THANK YOU !...for the sake of gameplay ...
While I make no commitment to what Bathagor & Co. may do with regard to expanding the links between the Tech Tree and individual units, there has been an effort on the mdb work copy that I provide BG to increase the number of worldwide & region units in this game, compared with earlier games. The approach has been to use a lot more fictional and "designs never produced" (some of these are Axis units that never made production due to the end of the war in '45), including a wide-range of 1930s designs that never made production for whatever reason.
Good example was the influence factor of Messerschmitt within the higher ranks of the Third Reich compared with Heinkel, many of whose designs were excellent and better than "Me's", but were rejected because of "Me's" greater politically connections and bias.

In appearance of these units, they would either come under * (worldwide available) or specific Region codes (South America, Middle East, Pacific, India, etc.). There is also an effort to create enough * (w-w available) units so that in all categories (fighter, ftr-bomber,
strategic bomber, etc.) one can leap from one-to-another, as your tech's are completed for each design....therefore, a minimum of
buying other region designs being required. It may not be perfect (due to time constraints to work on this) but it offers a better flow for lesser countries than in earlier SR games.

If Bathagor accepts the effort, then as a player, you should see a lot more units than in past games available for smaller countries (regions).
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

Speaking of which, is there an equipment list file somewhere for SR36 similar to the one for SRCW?

I think ideally for minors, they might be best suited to get actual designs that were destined for export as their "own" designs to research. (I believe you can assign multiple country codes to a unit, so theoretically the home country can research it in addition to whoever else has the region code)

In addition, I've also found as the game goes on, often times major countries are either conquered or run so high into negative balances in the treasury that they no longer have cash to do research, which I believe is the first expense to get cut if a country is in the red. This leads to the inability to actually progress beyond little more than base units present.
Von Thoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Von Thoma »

for me it would be enough that ANY minor country could research UNITS from

GERMANY
OR (!!!)
RUSSIA
or
Great Britain
or
USA
or
ITALY
or
JAPAN

depending on their region/ethnic ... it would improve fun for playing such countries, as I didn't want to play always a major country
Von Thoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Von Thoma »

... would be even fun , that we could built BUILDINGS which represents
Me, Henkel, Krupp and so on ... and every building is connected to some units :-)

so when you finished that "units research building" OR conquer it you are able to RESEARCH connected units to that building
that would be fun :-)
geminif4ucorsair
General

Chesehead wrote: (I believe you can assign multiple country codes to a unit, so theoretically the home country can research it in addition to whoever else has the region code)
This has been done. More extensively in older aircraft designs, but less so with ships. There are also proposed to BG several contractor designs that never went into production that are well-suited to used for * (worldwide) production, as well as a few fictional units.

BG handled all the 0 Infantry, which like SR-49CW appears to be lacking in new infantry types, those in the game follow the Cold War "red" and "blue" force designs (at least from what I have played so far...always could be wrong on this, it is just observation based on playing USSR and a few mid-sized countries.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Von Thoma wrote:... would be even fun , that we could built BUILDINGS which represents
Me, Henkel, Krupp and so on ... and every building is connected to some units :-) so when you finished that "units research building" OR conquer it you are able to RESEARCH connected units to that building that would be fun :-)
Don't wish to be a downer on this but it would be a bit like Naming individual shipyards (Newport News Shipbuilding, Newport News, VA; Long Beach Naval Shipyards, Long Beach, CA....and others worldwide), and then having designs associated with these naval fabrication facilities built there......it would be even more difficult with Aircraft Fabrication, because aircraft designs were sometimes built in one manufacturers facilities that had origins in another designers facilities.
Example: Brewster Aircraft (Buffalo, NY) had its own pre-war/early war production aircraft designs (F2A Buffalo, etc.) - but also built F4U Corsair aircraft late-war. Then, how does one handle Goodyear's factory that was also committed to the F4U Corsair production - who themselves (like General Motors) had no aircraft designs prior to their integration into aircraft production? [GM by building a copy of the Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat (FM-1) and later the much improved FM-2 Wildcat].

What happens if your enemy seizes one of your Naval Fabrication facilities - say Canada seizes the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Washington State....anything built there goes away forever until one gets the facility back? Or, does another shipyard pick up the designs. Seems like nightmare [if I understand the original proposal].

It would require BG all kinds of programming in the creation of historical campaigns, to manage such a proposal.
Given their resistance to numerous rather smaller design changes (way points, etc.), this is way toooooo far out for them! :D

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”