World Scenario New Twist

Discussion on Supreme Ruler 2010 Scenarios

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Eric Larsen
Colonel

World Scenario New Twist

Post by Eric Larsen »

I was dreaming last night of being able to play the World scenario and having just 2 regions. Now that I've learned how to switch regions by loading saved games I was hoping on the first day that I could have South America declare war on North America while all the other regions declared war on Europe. Then I could switch sides to have all the regions that declared war surrender so that what I'd have left is two regions - the Americas versus Eur-Af-Aus-Asia. I would play the Americas and let the game run until I've gotten all the research done I want and built up a nice modern armed force before going to battle.

I was playing my current game and had South America nearly conquered and decided to try the surrender gambit. I opened up as South America but when I surrendered the game immediately dumped me out. What the heck ever happened to post-game map analysis? It sure would be nice to have the option to return to the map and save the game so that I could open it up again as North America and resume playing at peace while I await the update that's soon to come out just so I can run through research stuff to see what I can see about future weapons. I was really hoping I could pull off that World scenario stunt so I could have a big King Kong AI to fight against on the world stage.

I tried the map editor but it wouldn't load original scenarios so I could see if I could tinker with the World scenario to see if I could edit the changes I wanted into it so I had only two regions. It sure would be nice if the scenario designer could modify the World scenario so that we all could enjoy that kind of challenge fighting a King Kong AI. It would also be nice if we could have an option to check out the map after a surrender and could save the game to resume it as another region.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Why not use groupings?

http://www.battlegoat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6897

That should only take about 5 mins...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Will this Unify Regions?

Post by Eric Larsen »

Balthagor wrote:Why not use groupings?

http://www.battlegoat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6897

That should only take about 5 mins...
Chris,
Dang do you have an alarm bell that goes off when I post? Just teasing, thanks very much for the quick reply.

I'm wondering if groupings unifies regions so that if I grouped South America with North America I could control one whole unified Americas region under North America while the AI could control one whole unified region with all the other regions under Europe. I read through the posts on that grouping regions forum but it really didn't answer how the grouping really works as far as combining regions. If it truly unifies regions into one bigger whole then this looks like the trick I need to figure out.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen

P.S. I just looked at the Canada scenario and saw the groupings do unify regions. Now if I can just figure out how to make the two regions in the World scenario.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Will this Unify Regions?

Post by Balthagor »

Eric Larsen wrote:Dang do you have an alarm bell that goes off when I post?
no, just have no life and spend too much time on the forum ;)
Eric Larsen wrote:Now if I can just figure out how to make the two regions in the World scenario.
If you take a look at the canada gmc file you can probably figure it out from there. It's all documented in the mapeditor docs as well.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Five Minutes more like Five Hours

Post by Eric Larsen »

Balthagor wrote: no, just have no life and spend too much time on the forum ;)
Chris,
So we have something in common besides liking wargames. :D

I found the new mapeditor docs and printed them out. I figure that five minute estimate for doing the fix will take atleast five hours of studying the docs and trying stuff out.

The docs state that any number of regions can be specified. Does this mean I could group all of the world regions into one and just play the game solely to do research and just to see how awesome a unified world economy I could create plus build new unit designs just to see what they're like?

I sure hope that the BG scenario designer will make a few quick variants of the world scenario. I like joecool250's 1984 concept of having 3 large regions. I also would like to see my two region concept done with the Americas versus the rest of the world under Europe. I think having them be "official" would give us more variety for the world stage and any time the official scenario changes those variants would also change automatically and officially. Besides that should take him very little time and then SR2010 would have two more scenario offerings for little investment rather than cooking up new ones from scratch.

On another note I printed out the printable unit info for tanks and to my dismay could not find the metalstorm tanks. I think that those unit design pages should be updated with every update so new equipment added is listed too. Aside from being a very useful player aid I would think keeping those unit design info pages updated would be a good marketing tool. If all a prospective customer sees is the original old stuff and doesn't see those new metalstorm tanks or nuclear battleships he'll never know just how cool some of the stuff in the game really is. Nothing like whetting someone's appetite by offering up the most recent new unit designs.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The online equpiment file was not updated for update 4 but I have made the required changes for the website to be posted once update 5 is done. That will once again see it up to date including the metal storm units

For the groupings, it shouldn't take you too long to figure out, it just requires understanding the partern. If you read through just the grouping section and look at an already grouped GMC I hope it will be clear.

As for having us do some of the groupings, we do once in a while add a new grouping (usually one needed for testing) and Legend will be following the other thread you posted in so I doubt it will be much trouble for us to do it. At the same time, if you do set up some groupings of your own, send us the file and we'll likley share your work with the community by adding it to the next available update.

And for grouping all to one region, in theory it would work but we've never tested it...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Testing, Testing 1 2 3

Post by Eric Larsen »

Balthagor wrote:As for having us do some of the groupings, we do once in a while add a new grouping (usually one needed for testing) and Legend will be following the other thread you posted in so I doubt it will be much trouble for us to do it. At the same time, if you do set up some groupings of your own, send us the file and we'll likley share your work with the community by adding it to the next available update.

And for grouping all to one region, in theory it would work but we've never tested it...
Chris,
It seems I'll have to try out that one region grouping so you can add it for testing purposes. Atleast it's nice to know "in theory" that a one region scenario is possible. I'd like to try it just for learning the ropes of research and to see how different stuff works without having to sweat out those pesky AI's. Kind of like a newbie training wheels scenario. Plus I get a kick out of just playing the game for the economics and the research. Kind of would like to see how awesome I could make a unified world domestic economy although I''m sure that would still fake out the annual trade surplus/deficit estimate. :roll:

Plus I'll try that 2 region world scenario as well. I still think it's better if BG can make a few quick variants from original scenarios so that if the official base scenario changes so do the custom ones without players having to redo the grouping trick every time that would happen.

I got a look at some AI personality file and could see that infrastructure spending is set way too low. One of these days I'll get around to some scenario design, but only after I've figured out how stuff works and get tired of playing the official scenarios. Now to find a map of Pangea, if you ever run across one give me a heads up if you please. Would be fun to place the current cities/countries onto the original continent before tectonic shift and billions of years did their thing.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen

Return to “Scenarios”