Play Supreme Ruler 2020 online with GameRanger

Put all your MP game discussions right here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

probyte
Lieutenant

Re: Play Supreme Ruler 2020 online with GameRanger

Post by probyte »

GameRanger is just a meeting Point it does not help if you are behind a router !!! It comes not with virtual network bridge like hamachi.

This is still a building site for BG, for multiplayer you need a virtual network bridge.

GameRanger is somthing like Allseeingeye, Gamespy etc. but I can not see any network bridging virtual adapter which is the only way to play Supreme Ruler behind a Router.

Hamachi works but it is painful because of the limitation of the rooms.

And to the beginning (first ~10 minutes) you have a horrible lag if you do not reduce the speed to slowest, afterwards it works well.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

probyte wrote:GameRanger is just a meeting Point it does not help if you are behind a router !!! It comes not with virtual network bridge like hamachi...
That is only partially true, I can host and I'm on a wireless NIC behind a router connected to a switch on my cable modem. And I've not done anything to my router settings.

Now I did buy a good Lynksys router that is considered excellent for gaming.

Have you tried the system and just ignored the warning that you're behind a router?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
probyte
Lieutenant

Post by probyte »

I run an AVM Fitzbox 7270 which is a bit better then Linksys aka cisco consumer.

Can you explain how Gameranger is connecting my game with a game of someone other?
How Gameranger is bypassing the FW/Router?

Can you provide the Ports I have to forward for SR? Without this essential information it would be only work in DMZ mode or If I connect direct to the internet (or a VPN bridge like hamachi)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Because we use DirectPlay (part of DirectX) for multiplayer connectivity there are no fixed ports we can give you.

I have no idea how GameRanger does it, I've not asked Scott how he programmed is product, all I know is it works for me and a number of other ppl. I've managed to get about 10 names in my friends list and that's just from picking up a few usernames from here on the forum or if I notice a game in progress.

And I'm not saying it is the perfect solution or works for everyone, just that it has provided us with far more connectivity than we originally had.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Scott Kevill
Corporal

Post by Scott Kevill »

probyte wrote:GameRanger is just a meeting Point it does not help if you are behind a router !!! It comes not with virtual network bridge like hamachi.

This is still a building site for BG, for multiplayer you need a virtual network bridge.

GameRanger is somthing like Allseeingeye, Gamespy etc. but I can not see any network bridging virtual adapter which is the only way to play Supreme Ruler behind a Router.

Hamachi works but it is painful because of the limitation of the rooms.
As I replied to your other post, you couldn't be more wrong. :)

GameRanger performs its magic without needing a virtual adapter. ASE, GameSpy, etc. do not even come close.
GameRanger - play your friends online
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

hi,
I'm confused, i've tried to read and understand everything, could someone explaine what this is and what it dose that makes it so good?
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It is a system to find players to play against.

- Open GameRanger
- Look for an "open" room for Supreme Ruler 2020
- If none, open a new room and wait for ppl to join.
- When the room has all the players, the room creator launches the game and becomes the Host of a MP game.

GameRanger gets you into a MP lobby with someone without having to know their IP.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
ETF
Lieutenant

Post by ETF »

So I take it Gameranger can work with routers...
Playing- CMBN, WITE, SR2020GC, HOI3, Jutland, CIV5, PON, EU3, Vicky 2
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

works for me...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Pax25
Colonel

Post by Pax25 »

Works for me too. I always had problems hosting other Paradox games until GameRanger.

Question though: When we pick up and start Session #2 does everyone have to have a copy of the save? We all did this, but new players might be joining us. Would I have to email them the save ahead of time?
"In any good multiplayer wargame, the only 'house rule' that should be needed, is that there are no rules." -Pax25
GameRanger # 406426
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Pax25 wrote:...Would I have to email them the save ahead of time?
yes. You could use a post here or page on the SupremeWiki to post a link to something like savefile.com
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Pax25
Colonel

Post by Pax25 »

Balthagor wrote:
Pax25 wrote:...Would I have to email them the save ahead of time?
yes. You could use a post here or page on the SupremeWiki to post a link to something like savefile.com
Thanks. The file was too big to post here (even when compressed), so I used savefile.com Hopefully people won't have a problem with this.
"In any good multiplayer wargame, the only 'house rule' that should be needed, is that there are no rules." -Pax25
GameRanger # 406426
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

how do I get over "cone NAT"?
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
dragons310
Lieutenant

Post by dragons310 »

ok, not sure why, but having problems getting gameranger to work properly. I've played using hamachi with no issues however. Every time I try with gameranger tho, doesn't work. if someone else hosts, I get about 5 seconds of black screen then CTD. If I host, the other player gets a CTD. I've tried both with hamachi and with the vpn disabled. what am I doing wrong?
GR #558857
jacko7
Private

Post by jacko7 »

Hello guys/gals i just wondering. i got a trojan from a virtual network service. What programs uses Virtual Network and if so does a trojan infect other computers if it not a Virtual Network program. Im sorry if this is off topic. i just get worried when my friends say "Lets play on gameranger!" now that id get a new virus or something. Help appricated ! XS

Return to “Multiplayer Games”