Land fabrication won't activate

Get installation help, discuss issues, and submit bug reports in this section. Take a read through before posting... sometimes your problem may have already been discussed.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

jbiafra
Corporal
Human: Yes

Land fabrication won't activate

Post by jbiafra »

Hi, I'm sorry because I know this is a pretty common question, because my google search took me to the old Paradox forum, but the thread that I looked at doesn't seem to have been resolved.

I'm playing on Shattered World with Rhode Island, which doesn't start with a land fabrication building. When I tried to build one, the land fab building finished before the Military complex and never activated. The barracks activated, and then when the military complex finished, it activated. So I tried manually opening the land fab, which didn't work. Then I scrapped reserve units and told DM to focus on adding reserves, which did nothing. Then I told DM to focus on decreasing garrisons, which did nothing. Then I scrapped all of my active units and deactivated the barracks, air field, and military complex that the game started me with, which did nothing. If I weren't surrounded by stronger enemies than myself, I would invade some random Canadian province and take their land fab. If the game started me with a transport, I would invade some weak African nation and take their land fab. And I'm not even sure that I have enough starting units to do any of that anyway. As it stands, I have no way of even increasing my population, and I'm not even sure if that will work. And Connecticut is going to invade me before I ever get strong, now that I have no army and weakened garrisons. I know there's got to be a way to fight with these weak nations. It would be a shame to lose the game because of a bug, if that's what this is, especially after putting in a lot of time waiting for development. Is my land fab building ever going to activate, or is there something else I need to try?

Also, my land view screen is telling me that there are 1000 reserves on that hex. I can't find anywhere how many reserves are needed to activate the land fab building.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: Land fabrication won't activate

Post by GIJoe597 »

One land fabrication facility needs 4,000 (four thousand) military manpower. This can be seen by hovering your mouse over the land fab in the build screen. The "Hub" (Military Complex) needs 500 and the Barracks needs 500. Since both of these activated I would say you had at least 1000 manpower available but not 4000.

You also need enough Electricity to online it.

If you deactivated everything else, as well as had your units reserved and the Military Spending screen shows more than 4000 reserves there may be an issue, but no one else has reported it. This may mean it is specific to your game and be something simple and not actually a bug. Assuming you had enough electricity for it to activate and still have the issue, I would be willing to look at a save game. (NOTE: I am not a BG representative, simply a paying customer willing to help)

Normal question, which version are you using?
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
jbiafra
Corporal

Post by jbiafra »

This is SR 2020 Gold edition. Not the downloaded version either.. (whatever that place is that people get cheap downloaded games, idk the name of it). It's the disc version.

I'm wondering how much reserves disbanding everything actually gave me. Also, has anyone ever tried to do a sandbox game (unmodded) with Rhode Island or Delaware? There may be enough population in other states that don't have initial land fabs, such as Vermont and New Hampshire. But I'm wondering if raising my military salaries will increase my reserves enough to open up shop. When the Land Fab didn't open, all my DM said was there weren't enough reserves. I haven't gotten anything about shortages of power, and my power numbers aren't terribly low.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

The version number should be 6.8.1. If you can confirm that is the one, then we can forget it as a possible issue.

Rhode Island starts with 10K reserves. Plenty to staff a Land Fab (4000), barracks (500) and military complex (500).

You can see the reserves number here;

1. Click on Defense button on Radial dial on bottom left.

2. Click on Spending button to the right of that.

Again, if that is sufficient to staff your facilities, as you are reporting, and you have no electrical issues, I have no idea. The only thing I could do is look at your save. There just is no way for me or anyone else to diagnose the problem as you are reporting it, since it should not be happening, if all of the above is good. I have no way of seeing what the game is telling you, if anything.

To be clear I am confused, since your initial post indicated there were no issues with staffing as you point out you deactivated everything. But this second post states your DM told you there is not enough reserves? If you look at the location in the picture above and your reserves are not enough then no, it will not activate.

You can try to influence more people into the state (immigration) and you can raise the military salaries to max, but with such a small population you will not be able to field a large or even a medium force. You will need to be very careful/picky about units you build, whom you attack and how you use those units.

Edit: After typing this I started a game in SW, as RI. I built a land fab straight off. The barracks, military hub and land fab all came online. This only used about half of the starting 10K reserves.

jbiafra
Corporal

Post by jbiafra »

Ok, so I went back to my save before I disbanded everything. I got it to work, but it's probably a death sentence. It said I had 12000ish active duty and something like 41 reserves. So I scrapped all of my units. Then I demolished the deactivated barracks and air field. I didn't know that I had to take garrison control off of my DM. So I did that and then manually disbanded garrisons. At that point, it told me I had 7000ish reserves and still somehow 5000 some active duty. I have no idea where the 5000 active came from because I only have like 3 or 4 and no units, and just the 1000 for my existing military buildings. Anyway I sat and waited for about 5 or 6 game days before I realized that I needed to manually activate the land fab site. I'll let you know if I survive this.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

airfield, or seaport? those too require manpower to have online.
jbiafra
Corporal

Post by jbiafra »

I think the unaccounted for active members must have been my garrisons. I ended up finding some garrisons on the Mass border that I didn't need, and didn't know were there. I disbanded them, and my reserve pool seems to have stabilized around 3000. I felt confident enough to build a research center, and I'm considering building a second land fab site if the reserves don't diminish too much from that. Right now I'm hovering over 4000 reserves, and I'm building Stingers since Connecticut doesn't have a land fab either, but they do have 3 air fabs. Building all of these Stingers seems to be the right call, since I still don't have an angry neighbor and Conn is mass building airial. Plus the Stingers don't use up as many reserves as the mech units do. Rhode Island doesn't have naval yard, and the air base they started me with is demolished. I'm still pretty much dead if Connecticut decides to attack me, or if New York invades Mass or Conn. I think I could have gotten away with all of the disbanding if I'd have just started back from nothing. But I'm hoping to survive long enough to get a war justification against Vermont, which seems like my most likely target. If that happens, I should be pretty much in the clear, but I'll still be playing catch up. I thank GIJoe for the tips, which actually did help me. I understand now that I'm going to have to micromanage everything as I come along on this map, which is not how I'm used to playing as of yet, and not what I wanted to do, but I'm going to have plenty of time, as this damn army can't build fast enough. For now, I'm done atm, I'm going to switch to Hearts of Iron for a few hours.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

research centers also consume manpower too.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

When it comes to these type of starts, you need to micromanage everything. You simply have too few units/resources/options not to. It is part of the appeal, to me at least. :)

I also alternate between this and HOI 3, so I understand the need for a break.

jbiafra
Corporal

Post by jbiafra »

I accidentally bought the HoI Anthology instead of HoI 3, so I've been playing 2. It's a nice change of pace, but I think I want to learn EU3 the most. I'm still very much learning all three games, but it's fun. Having to micromanage is forcing me to learn a lot about SR2020 though, that I've been letting the computer take care of for me through the other campaigns I've done so far. It's still hard for me to know whether I'm experiencing a bug or if whatever problem I'm having is actually a game feature. I'm glad they don't make it insanely easy for you, though.

just to clarify, I know that this particular problem I was having was a game feature.
jbiafra
Corporal

Post by jbiafra »

Ruges wrote:research centers also consume manpower too.
any idea how much they use? I'd like to keep my reserves over 3000 if I can. But I'm also definitely behind in research.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

You may be correct Ruges, but they do not require the critical "military" reserves at least, so jbiafra you should be ok on that front.

Return to “Support & Issues - 2020”