World 1985

What is the world like in 2020? What are the different ways to play? How can I create my own futuristic scenario and country groupings?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Zutroy
Sergeant
Human: Yes

World 1985

Post by Zutroy »

I've put together a mod assuming the world remained roughly static following the "Late Brezhnev Era" -- therefore reviving the communist world to its greatest extent in the early/middle 1980s, and replicating some of the other world situations at the time.

In addition to merging countries together (USSR, Yugoslavia, etc.) and breaking Germany into West Germany (West Germany .CVP plus South Germany .CVP) and East Germany, I changed some government types and priorities, a few dozen flags, and several influence statistics to increase cohesion in the "Red Sphere" -- although it isn't completely tranquil; even with tensions set at none, the AI will cause war here and there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I would like to go even further with it (triggering proxy wars, etc) when I have the time.

UPDATE I: As of 7/26/11, I have linked a newer version that includes more files and modifications.

UPDATE II: As of 7/27/11, I have linked an even newer version with moved capitals and renamed cities.

UPDATE III: As of 5/14/12, I have linked a much newer and vastly improved version. I've been toying with this and another mod for roughly a year off and on, and finally decided to present the latest version as it is far more refined and is compatible with Update 8.

First of all, I shifted the geopolitical setting of the campaign from 1984 to 1979 -- coinciding with the end of détente. It now begins on August 1, 1979 (shortly after the Sandinistas came to power in Nicaragua), but the technology remains at the level of the standard GC campaign. This allowed me to incorporate more custom flags and region/city name changes. Also, the new flags are now in FLAGBITS9.png, this way they don't overwrite any existing graphic files anymore.

Second, I added the prevailing military blocs of the day (NATO, Warsaw Treaty, and various other alliances such as ANZUS and those of Cuba's foreign adventures) as well as the prevailing economic blocs (EEC, CMEA, etc.) and various other international agreements. Concurrent with this, I changed several government types/ideologies in order to accurately reflect the situation on 1979 (i.e. Central Africa a monarchy, South Korea a dictatorship, etc.), and added loyalties that aren't merged any region to represent some of the festering conflicts at the time such as SWAPO in Namibia or the EPLF in Eritrea.

Third, I adjusted the .scenario file to make the campaign appear in its own right on the campaign menu, greatly reducing the amount of effort required to make amendments to the files and eliminating the need to overwrite anything and keep backup files on hand.

UPDATE IV: As of 5/15/12, I've made a few tiny alterations and added an additional file to the download to keep reloaded games from reverting back to the region names/descriptions from the standard GC campaign.

UPDATE V: As of 5/20/12, I've made a few more alterations, added a couple more flags, and added another folder of files to the download to correct an error where no regions appear in the single player campaign menu.

UPDATE VI: As of 5/30/17, I had completely reconfigured this mod and then lost interest in it three years ago. As there still seems to be a modicum of interest here, I found the most recent iteration (World 1985) in my old inbox and have decided to make it available again.

First, I shifted the setting to March 11, 1985 (Gorbachev's first day in power) to start the campaign at a watershed moment. Although my laptop is not letting me grab screenshots from the game at the moment, you can assume that it is broadly similar to the screenshots below, adjusting for historical accuracy (slightly different flags and so on).

Second, I changed the populations and GDP stats to match the state of the world in 1985. This has a huge effect on the world market. For one thing, there is a petroleum glut (prices will fall continuously for months if not years) because I adjusted populations down without removing any oil-gas complexes from the .mapx file; this accurately reflects the oil market in the 80s. Another thing is that to make the GDP adjustments stick, I had to "deindustrialize" several countries through the .mapx file (mainly China, which I remember being a really time-consuming trial-and-error process).

UPDATE VII: As of 6/7/17, I've produced some new screenshots via FRAPS (didn't realize I needed to do that for the Steam version of the game), which can be seen below, and I've tweaked Iran-Iraq relations to be more hostile to one another.

I've also fixed an odd error in the .OOF that had the urban areas of Sarawak and Kota Kinabalu one hex away where they were supposed to be, which led me to look at all the other population spikes on the map that didn't have corresponding urban areas. Thus, I've added 50+ extra urban areas to the map.

Here's the current download link. Simply unpack it into your game folder, and let me know how it works.

Here are some screenshots of the mod;
Last edited by Zutroy on Jun 07 2017, edited 7 times in total.
pitchblack
Lieutenant

Re: Mid 1980s Mod for GC

Post by pitchblack »

This mod looks great, but I can't get it to install..
I copied the Global Crisis.sav file over to the Cache CG, but it I can't find it when I try to load a campaign or scenario..any thoughts?
thanks!
Zutroy
Sergeant

Re: Mid 1980s Mod for GC

Post by Zutroy »

pitchblack wrote:This mod looks great, but I can't get it to install..
I copied the Global Crisis.sav file over to the Cache CG, but it I can't find it when I try to load a campaign or scenario..any thoughts?
thanks!
It should take the place of the Global Crisis campaign.

Actually, never mind what you downloaded, because I'm about to upload an improved version of the mod. I corrected some errors, changed many government types, added more flags, and modified the /Localize/LOCALEN/Scenario file to change some names and text. This version will have folders that you can simply paste into your game folder.

Please let me know if it works correctly.
Zutroy
Sergeant

Re: Supreme Ruler 1979

Post by Zutroy »

Bumping for update.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Nice! :-)
...but the technology remains at the level of the standard GC campaign...
Do you have any plans to change this at some point in the future? 8)
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Zutroy
Sergeant

Post by Zutroy »

number47 wrote:Nice! :-)
...but the technology remains at the level of the standard GC campaign...
Do you have any plans to change this at some point in the future? 8)
Perhaps. It may be a while, because I would have to sort through all of the regional tech levels and researched techs/designs and subtract them in a uniform manner to represent the situation in late 1979, which would be time-consuming even if I were familiar with the tech trees. If and when I do it, I'll probably change the GDPs to historical levels as well.
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

Problems with downloading.

When the load is finish, I receive a files filled with a huge uncoherant text... What i'm suposed to do of this?
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State
Zutroy
Sergeant

Post by Zutroy »

Niko465 wrote:Problems with downloading.

When the load is finish, I receive a files filled with a huge uncoherant text... What i'm suposed to do of this?
I'm not quite sure why you saw that. I followed my link, downloaded the .rar file, unpacked it, and it appeared exactly as it should -- four folders; CacheGC, CampaignGC, Graphics, and Localize.

To see the mod in the campaign menu of your copy of Supreme Ruler 2020 (assuming you have GC version 6.8.1), you'd simply unpack the contents of the .rar file into your game folder. When you enter the game and go to the campaign menu, it should be the third one down -- assuming you don't have any other custom campaigns -- and the default region should be the Soviet Union. If something went wrong along the way here, please elaborate. Thank you.
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

Zutroy wrote:

I'm not quite sure why you saw that. I followed my link, downloaded the .rar file, unpacked it, and it appeared exactly as it should -- four folders; CacheGC, CampaignGC, Graphics, and Localize.

To see the mod in the campaign menu of your copy of Supreme Ruler 2020 (assuming you have GC version 6.8.1), you'd simply unpack the contents of the .rar file into your game folder. When you enter the game and go to the campaign menu, it should be the third one down -- assuming you don't have any other custom campaigns -- and the default region should be the Soviet Union. If something went wrong along the way here, please elaborate. Thank you.
I loaded and clic open,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/24524173.png/
After the load,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/wtfxjw.png/
I shut this down and then the load is dead.
I restart doing register, an then the SR1979 file is a notes file...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39 ... eooqr.png/

Some time ago, I tryed to open a file in the CacheGC files with the Text-Note program to see something... Anyway since this time, all these kind of files(that were previously unopenable and got the icon of a white paper whit 3 horizontals colorful cube on it's middle) now are openable and look like the file on the last pic i sent you. It's probably the cause but I don't have a clue how to reverse this.
Last edited by Niko465 on May 20 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State
Zutroy
Sergeant

Post by Zutroy »

Niko465 wrote:
Zutroy wrote:

I loaded and clic open,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/24524173.png/
After the load,
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/wtfxjw.png/
I shut this down and then the load is dead.
I restart doing register, an then the SR1979 file is a notes file...
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39 ... eooqr.png/

Some time ago, I tryed to open a file in the CacheGC files with the Text-Note program to see something... Anyway since this time, all these kind of files(that were previously unopenable and got the icon of a white paper whit 3 horizontals colorful cube on it's middle) now are openable and look like the file on the last pic i sent you. It's probably the cause but I don't have a clue how to reverse this.

I neeeed your mod. It look so awsome :o
I see what's going on here. You need to install WinRAR in order to unpack the file. You can find it on Google and it's free to use (the program bother you with pesky registration messages, but you can ignore them). After that, redownload and unpack into the game folder.
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

Ah thanks A LOT :-) !!
You resolved many puzzles to me!
A single thing left, there is no regions to be selected but I can choose one Via multiplayer anyway.
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State
Zutroy
Sergeant

Post by Zutroy »

Niko465 wrote:Ah thanks A LOT :-) !!
A single thing left, there is no regions to be selected but I can choose one Via multiplayer anyway.
Do you mean to say that when you go into the campaign menu and select Supreme Ruler 1979, no regions appear for you to select? Please furnish a screenshot. Also, did you make sure to copy and paste all the files into the game folder? And, are you running version 6.8.1 of Global Crisis?
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

Zutroy wrote:
Niko465 wrote:Ah thanks A LOT :-) !!
Do you mean to say that when you go into the campaign menu and select Supreme Ruler 1979, no regions appear for you to select? Please furnish a screenshot. Also, did you make sure to copy and paste all the files into the game folder? And, are you running version 6.8.1 of Global Crisis?
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... effcs.png/

All the files are where they belong, I double checked and even reinstall the game and redownload the mod.
I have V 6.6.1

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/70 ... redgs.png/
Last edited by Niko465 on May 19 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

There is no support for old versions of the game, update to 6.8.1.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Niko465
Colonel

Post by Niko465 »

Balthagor wrote:There is no support for old versions of the game, update to 6.8.1.
Where is it? I thaugh I was playing on the latest version.
Nicolau Abraão Rojas
Brazillian United Front
South East State

Return to “Scenarios, Mods and More - 2020”