Battleships?

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Sounds good, anyone else got more comments?

(BTW, the stealth ship is one of the Scandanavian countries, I think Sweden, it's in the equiplist.)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

Thats that square looking ship right. Yeah it was Swedish.

I think the american and european ship should be almost identical. I like blind ones ideas on this.

I can only comment on Dutch ships, but they already have very much automated, indeed due to the high wages.

I will go with blind ones ideas.

But it would be a bit weird if the american ship is lightest... With more crew etc.
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Haenkie is right, the american battleship should be fairly large because of 2 reasons.

1. Americans tend to think bigger is better :D sorry j/k

2. Americans need to cross the oceans so they need lots of fuel and to keep this fuel somewhere they should have huge storages.

He Balthagor why exactly are the new battleships supposed to be diesel powered? I would have figured it would have been nuclear (we already have cruisers powered nuclear) and the battleships are bigger so I would have guessed they would have given them nuclear especially because they are so high tech. Also because they are quite high-tech battleships and with rising fuel costs :D who would want a diesel burning battleship :cry: way to high maintenance :D
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

Well i still maintain coal powered battleships are best :wink: But on a more serious note,
The_Blind_One wrote:I would give the chinese.
1. Huge ships with lots of crew and well it should withstand alot of beating.
2. More guns than average, give them alot of extra firepower
3. They should be below average in air defense and their top speed should be slightly lower.

1. Yeah I think that the chinease battleships should have big crews this is after all there first real experiment with large capital ships.

2. Again with this being there first experiance with battleship design then perhaps they should use a late 19th centery techniche of having some large guns, midium guns, and small guns. Along with some anti-air missles. Battleships from this era used 4x12" maybe 8x9" 12x5.2". Or somthimg like this.

3. And the air defence shold be lowish and top speed say 25-29 knts.

(sorry for the spelling it is 1AM here in the UK and i'am tired)
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The_Blind_One wrote:He Balthagor why exactly are the new battleships supposed to be diesel powered?
Was unsure which way to go on this. There seems to be some in the navy, even US, that don't seem convinced about nuclear being the solution for naval. But might switch the US one over since it would allow them to follow similar lines to Carrier construction.

I'm also thinking longer term that the "second generation" battleships I'll start thinking about later on (techs 110-120) will use Naval Electric drive technologies which will be handled in the game as diesel with highfuel efficiency. In theory would make the next ones a more logical "upgrade path" if they stay diesel...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Balthagor wrote:Tech tree is not something we're going to expand anytime soon. I'd rather just put in new ship designs that need less crew.
Sorry about the late comment on this but...hihi yes I found that out the hard way...once u need to add something NEW to the techtree it's going to be a pain to recalibrate everything :S Ofcourse I fixed that now with a new and improved system lol but nonetheless PAINFULL :evil:
Was unsure which way to go on this. There seems to be some in the navy, even US, that don't seem convinced about nuclear being the solution for naval. But might switch the US one over since it would allow them to follow similar lines to Carrier construction.

I'm also thinking longer term that the "second generation" battleships I'll start thinking about later on (techs 110-120) will use Naval Electric drive technologies which will be handled in the game as diesel with highfuel efficiency. In theory would make the next ones a more logical "upgrade path" if they stay diesel...
Well u could also just make 2 versions of the same battleship, one nuclear powered and another diesel powered. The diesel would upgrade with the naval drive systems...hmmm and u might be sneaky and make the nuclear upgrade with a new and improved fusion powerplant 8) haha j/k I know u guys won't add tech to the techtree, (it's painfull I TELL U!!!!) :D
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

Balthagor wrote:But X-band won't fit on a Battleship will it? What do you want on the battleship? Did I mention battleships?...
I didn't mean putting it on a battleship, I meant turn the radar into a battleship. :D

Basically though, some 16-20 inch rail guns with guided munitions is what I want to see on a battleship. :) Range being at least 50 miles.

Laser defense turrets too.

Good command and control, since battleships are traditional flagship platforms.

Room for at least a dozen tomahawks.

Oh and nuclear propulsion on such a large ship would be a plus as well.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Decimatus wrote:Basically though, some 16-20 inch rail guns with guided munitions is what I want to see on a battleship. :) Range being at least 50 miles.

Laser defense turrets too.
Neither of those would be on the first versions, they are all under tech 110 and IIRC laser starts at 114. Keep these ideas for the second gen. versions.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

OK what about the battleships now? anyone working on them?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Not in the last couple days, I'll look at the entry again tomorrow and see what else I need...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

Was thinking about nuclear powered ships. And indeed i think even the US navy is rethinking this idea. Diesel powered subs for one are less noisy then nuclear powered ones.
But then again such huge ships will always stick out, and a nuclear powered ship can go virtually everywhere. It would burn a hefty lot of diesel in comparison.

Which of the other people was helping you out with the battleships?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well Slash78 and geminicorsair have both been sending me spreadsheets of units, but I've not gotten back to these yet.

Your comment about the subs got me thinking that I would not mind adding a fictional diesel sub to the US equipment tree. I keep playing a US map where I don't start with any of the technologies for subs and trying to get subs and nuclear reactors takes forever. Since only some US regions can build the nuclear subs, other regions might resort to Diesel to get them in the water faster...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

There is one small problem with this, they never ever build a diesel powered sub.... (or so I think)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I realise, but it would still be cheaper/faster to develop...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
hdevils30
Sergeant

Post by hdevils30 »

We NEED pirate ships :D

i mean like the old really slow things with cannons and sails...

we can let cuba use em :)[/u]

Return to “Military - 2020”