Loading Missles 101 (renaming too)

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Loading Missles 101 (renaming too)

Post by Ruges »

Well first off lets start off with the different missle types. You have Land launced, Air launched, Surface ship launched, and Sub launched. type missles. sub groups of the above would be ground unit targeted, Ship targeted, and building targeted. With even more specific sub stats then that, like how good it is at precise targeting. or an area attack, or a nuclear strength, If the unit is stealth, how fast it can go, and how far it can go. But lets look at some more details:

Below is a picture of a missle that can be fired from a land unit. See by the leter A it shows the ground icon highlighted. That means this missle can be shot from a ground unit. B shows this missle is of a cruise missle design, which means it is more precise then others and can track its target. C shows this missle is an area of effect damage. which would also count against indirect damage of other units in the hex.

Below is a picuture of a missle that can be fired from a plane. See by the leter F the plane is highlighted. That means this missle can be fired from a plane. E is the same as B above. and D shows the missle is a building missle which means it will target structures.

Below is a picture of a missle that can be fired from a surface ship. See by the leter I that the surface ship is highlighted that means this missle can be fired from a plane. H shows that the missle is a smart bomb. (I think this means that it is better at following a target then a dumb bomb, but not as good as a cruise missle). G shows this missle is a missle that will attack ships.

Below is a picture of a missle that can be fired from submariens. See by the leter L that the sub icon is highlighted. K also shows that this missle is of the indirect kind so will also damage other units in the hex. J shows this is a nuclear missle. Also on this picture we put in the leter M. It shows the missle size Even in the above picutures you see what size the missle is. and for every missle there is it has a specific size.

Now below is a picture of a unit that can carry missles. If you look by the leter N you see the maximum size missle it can carry, and by the leter 0 the maximum missle volume. This specific unit has a missle size of 6 and a missle volume of 108. Which means it can carry 18 size 6 missles. However the missle size is a maximum, So it can carry smaller missles. For instance you could carry a missle that was size 2. Now since it is only a size 2, the unit could carry 54 of these size missles.

Ok now we know about missles and missle units, Lets talk about the rules of engagment for you units. Below is a picture of this. Under the Unit Command window (P) Rules of Engagment Section (Q). You see:
R: this shows if a unit should attack ground units or not. The Icon is not highlighted meaning it will not attack ground units.
S: This shows if a unit should attack air units or not. The Icon is high lighted meaning it will attack air units.
T: This shows if a unit should attack surface ships or not. The Icon is not highlited meaning it will not attack surface ships.
U:This shows if a unit should attack submarines or not. The Icon shows this option greyed out. Meaning it does not even have the ability to attack a submarine
V: This shows if a unit should attack structures or not. The Icon is not highlighted meaning it will not attack structures
W: This shows if a unit is allowed to launch a nuclear missle or not. As you see this option is greyed out. Which means the unit does not have the ability to launch a nuke, Or you dont have the use nuke option in the defense condition tab under the defcon status.
X: This shows that when a missle is autoloaded if it should match its roles or not. Basicaly if you want the unit to attack buildings. It will load missles that attack buildings instead of loading missles that attack ships. The icon shows that option is disabled.
Y: This shows if a unit is allowed to load auto deployed missles (in the next part we will discus auto deployed missles
Z: If you see a missle Icon here, that means a missle is loaded onto the unit
A2: This is a units Initiative. I like to have this at high and the minister locked from it. The unit will prety much do everthing except reserve, unreserve, move, (although it will retreat if low on health), and repair.

Below we have the missle deployment tab. This is the (B2) below button under the Unit command window (P) You see how C2 is greyed out. That means this missle is avialible for the AI to autodeploy (Y). D2 shows that it is still yellow. That means this missle is not allowed tobe auto deployed. The Same with E2. Also you see the Green Icon by C2. This means the AI has the authority to fire this missle when it sees fit. If it does not have this green icon the AI will not fire this missle unless you tell it to. If you click F2 it will load ONE missle that you have highlighted onto a unit that has load autodeployed missles on. If you click G2 it will autoload the whole stack of missles. However in order for G2 and F2 to work you must select a missle type in C2-E2. When you press G2 with say D2 it will grey out D2 making it availible tobe deployed. (ops I forgot a beter picture. If you have C2-E2 selected. Right below G2 will be a button that looks like the green icon next to C2. It will give the AI the allowance to fire or not fire that missle.)

Now Below we are looking at the section that you goto when you want to Manualy load a missle. You goto button H2 the Defense tab. Then J2 the reserves/Deployed tab, then I2 the missle tab. You will then see K2 and L2. Under K2 you will see your missles in reserve. If you click on a missle in K2. It will bring up deployed units in L2 that that missle will be able to load into. So by selecting a missle in K2, then selecting a unit in L2. Then if you press M2 it will load one missle from your selected K2 window and load it into your selected L2 unit. Or if you press N2 it will do the same as above but except one unit it will load the max capacity. This is a good way to load nuclear missles into units without having to give authorization to the AI todo it. (dont want them firing off a nuke becouse they can). Also below N2 are repeats of buttons X and Y.

So there you have it, everything you need to know about loading missles. But wait there is more. How do you know what missles are in what units has been a common question. You dont want to start firing those nukes off at one of canada's units that just rolled in to Seattle. What would your people think of you. So you need to setup a system so you know where you nukes are. After you deploy a nuke change the name of the unit it was loaded into. And here is how you do that.

Below is a picture in H2/J2 as above, but instead of I2 we are using O2 which is the air units (you can do the same for navl and ground). If you click on a unit at P2 and the click on Q2 a window will popup with the units name. delete the old name and insert the new name. The same is for the R2/S2 section. Its just that the P2 area is for reserved units and R2 is for deployed units.

Below shows a picture of me randomly selecting a bunch of units on the battle field. I renamed my ground based nuclear launch platforms to GLNMP's (see AAR for reason). But now when I selected that group and I want them to attack a place I dont want them to launch a nuclear missle. So I see I have a nuclear missle unit with them. so I hold down CTRL and left click the unit. this un highlights it so when I tell the other units to fire missles my nuke unit does not shot its off.

**Edit**
Forgot to add. If you hover you mouse over a selected unit, a popup (if enabled) will come up that shows the units cargo. As you see in the below picture it shows what missles are loaded into this unit.
Last edited by Ruges on Nov 26 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Loading Missles 101 (renaming too)

Post by Balthagor »

stickied, thanks Ruges.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

VERY nice...
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Excellent. Wish I had this a couple of months ago. I am certain this will help many people.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
alex
Major

Post by alex »

couple of questions though... when a missile group is set for autodeploy, how do u set them back to not autodeploy?
say you got missile 1a and 1b, 1a has always been on auto, but now that you got 1b which are better, you want them to auto deploy first. how do u reset a??

And another enoying problem i have. if i ex. go to air lunch. i have 3 diffrent types of missiles 1a,1b and 1c but the dont come up as just 3 types... they come up as following:

1a x 200
1a x 10
1a x 53
1b x 568
1b x 50
1c x 10

WHY!? why dont the same missile types merge???
alex
Major

Post by alex »

and how do you unload missiles from a unit and change to another missile type witout sending the unit back to reserve and then deploying again??
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

There is no way to undo auto deploy (BG in an update can you make it so clicking on auto deploy a secound time will stop that group from auto deploying I would like this feature too).

About the multiple groups. BG has posted before about the multiple groups. I dont remember what they said (you can do a search for it) but it was somthing like they are grouped like this becouse of being deployed or somthing. And there is nothing they can do about it. It's annoying but I would put it low on the totem pole of fixes.

curently the only way to unload the missles is to send them back ot reserve. I believe they have stated they are looking into ways to unload missles without reserve (and they may have stated they it has already been done for furture updates)
alex
Major

Post by alex »

yea that would be great, cause it seems to me, (and correct me if im wrong cause i havnt played that much yet...) that if u have deployd unit A with 100 missiles and rolled him miles away from nearest base and then u find out u need a diffrent type of missile u cant change. BUT if the unit fires the 100 missiles it will auto reload new ones right?
MaxRiga
Colonel

Post by MaxRiga »

this is very helpful, thank u for such great instruction!
... lai dzivo latvija !
funkymatic
Sergeant

Post by funkymatic »

Kudos Ruges. FANTASTIC post!
Trifler
Lieutenant

Post by Trifler »

Ruges wrote:B shows this missle is of a cruise missle design, which means it is more precise then others and can track its target. C shows this missle is an area of effect damage. which would also count against indirect damage of other units in the hex.

Great post!

I noticed you have B and C backwards in regards to the first image though. A quick edit of the text will fix it. :)
Ruges wrote:See by the leter I that the surface ship is highlighted that means this missle can be fired from a plane.
On this one the word "plane" should be changed to "ship".
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

this is really a great post, should be stickyed on the forums
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
backes42
Warrant Officer

Post by backes42 »

alex wrote:couple of questions though... when a missile group is set for autodeploy, how do u set them back to not autodeploy?
say you got missile 1a and 1b, 1a has always been on auto, but now that you got 1b which are better, you want them to auto deploy first. how do u reset a??

And another enoying problem i have. if i ex. go to air lunch. i have 3 diffrent types of missiles 1a,1b and 1c but the dont come up as just 3 types... they come up as following:

1a x 200
1a x 10
1a x 53
1b x 568
1b x 50
1c x 10

WHY!? why dont the same missile types merge???
Ok when I have my first batch of missiles come off the line, they are the same way, so I will have 1 missile type yet I will have 100 different slots for them (if I build 100 at a time). This is how you fix the problem..... Let's say I am building Sickles and I'm building 100 at a time, what I do is turn nuclear weapons permission on and I only build enough launchers to hold the max amount of missiles. In other words if my unit can hold 20 missiles I would only build 5 of them OR place all but 5 of them in reserve. (If you do not use the minimum amount of launch platforms you will have to unload more platforms) Once the missiles are completed turn the auto deploy feature on, (on the selected units) turn it back off and then manually unload ALL missiles from platform. Once you do this, all future missiles while add on to the total of 100 and you will not have 100 slots with 1 missile each. I hope that helps. :-)
Thyfur
Warrant Officer

Post by Thyfur »

Excellent post. I wish I would have put thought into looking at this before asking my 'stupid' question yesterday. Kudos!
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

When you use "IROE/Autoload Missiles to Match Role" and then change the "Unit Roles" settings, somethimes the game will ignore you new "Unit Roles" settings and will instead simply re-load missile-types that match the previous setting.

A work-around for this is to turn off "IROE/Autoload Missiles to Match Role", unload all missiles and then manually load missiles of the appropriate role. Once you do this you can turn "IROE/Autoload Missiles to Match Role" back on and the correct type of missile will be re-load from then on.

I notice this when switching my carrier planes from anti-ship to anti-armor roles - the game kept reloading them with Penguin ASM surface-attack missiles instead of AGM ground-attack missiles. The game seems to sometimes ignore your new role setting in favor of the previous one.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012

Return to “Military - 2020”