Global units for non major nations

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

BigD145
Captain

Re: Global units for non major nations

Post by BigD145 »

Trifler wrote:
BigD145 wrote:"Obsolete design" is too automatic and doesn't give enough control to the player. We need manual obsolescence.
I agree completely, but it's been mentioned in several threads already so I haven't commented on it. Being able to mark units obsolete and the ability to see the obsolete list and mark them non-obsolete would eliminate that feeling of "I'd better not research that unit because I know a better one is coming up soon after that and I don't want to clog up my list..."
I thought I had seen it discussed. The easiest way I can see to implement it would be to copy and paste whatever code is currently done for the "Known Technologies" and make a "Known Military" right next to it in the research section. Add in a right click that grays out what you consider 'obsolete', which also removes it from the build menu, and you're practically done. Any nation could own every tech and spec AND be able to organize it all 10 years down the road.
Grendar
Lieutenant

Re:

Post by Grendar »

llsoth wrote:Grendar
Many countries have advanced tank design 3 tanks. It is quite a laundry list here are the region codes J, U, I, D, R, E, N, S. Many of those stand for more than one region. If you want to see what they are check out the wiki.
The top USA version has 145 hard attack vs 140 for the others. (it is also a higher tech level).
You should compare the u.s tank with giza (90 hard attack), or even compare it to storm hunter 2 which is older tech by 12 years and has 110 hard attack. I don't have the stats of non mid east/african third world tanks right now, but I assume that most of them don't have much better tanks than Giza.

edit: I just dug up some info about the tanks china has access to, best one = xinjiang IV with a hard attack of 92 and 6 km range compared to 10 km from u.s/eu/jap tanks.

edit2: Haha, some south american nations only have access to the 2017 grognard with 60 hard attack and 4 km range, granted its only tech lvl 117 but its still endgame tank for some countries other than storm hunter (in this case, cuba).
Noble713
Captain

Re:

Post by Noble713 »

sirveri wrote:Ultimately the issue for me was that I would spend a few game years building up my country and then suddenly I'd be ready to build up a national armaments industry and the game as is would not really allow for it.

If a random African country got its act together, and actually industrialised and managed to drag itself to a near first world condition after years of hard work, and it decides to design it's own tank, or fighter, or ICBM, or Submarine, or Aircraft Carrier. Then it should be able to. Would it be able to do all at the same time? Not easily. My mod design has numerous techs that would be required to build up each industrial sector. It would probably take a decade of game time and billions or trillions of dollars. But I want it as an option.

Look at Iran as an example of this not really working (or taking decades). They've had access to F-14 Tomcats for nearly 30 years now, yet their domestic aerospace industry can only churn out a prototype for a twin-tailed F-5 derivative. Sweden got into the aircraft industry way back when designing competitive aircraft was MUCH easier than it is today. Feel free to mod it in, but I have to agree that developing high-tech industries and weapon systems from scratch is outside the timescale of the game.
Black Metal IST KRIEG!
http://tinyurl.com/ctyrj7

Return to “Military - 2020”