Railroads

Imports, Exports, Taxes & Social Spending... discuss these topics here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

jas0n3660
Corporal
Human: Yes

Railroads

Post by jas0n3660 »

What do railroads do exactly, i haven't been playing SR2020 for very long but ive never seen railroads have any use, also if you build more railroads and research techs such as High Speed Trains does that mean your population will use that as an aternative to cars and Petroleum consumption will fall? thanks
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: Railroads

Post by Ruges »

It all has todo with supply. Certain structures provide supply. (IE cities, barracks, Supply depots......) you can stack these structures on a hex to reach a maximum of 100 percent supply. Ok so now that one hex has lets say 100 percent supply. Depending on the terrain, as you get further away from that hex, the percentage will evenualy drop to 0.

Now that we know this, we can talk about roads and railroads. They make it so the supply goes further. I dont feel like looking up the exact formula, But lets say without roads that 100 supply might reach out 10 hexes. However with a road or railroad it might extend out 20 hexes. (although that is not the correct formula just an example of what they do).

So if they both act as supply carriers then whats the difference? Well for one roads, also make it so you can move your military, So that is a pretty big advantage over railroads. However railroads cost half as much as roads. Not only to build but to maintain. And while it might not seem like a large expendature difference. You start covering your country in roads to create high percentage supply lines, its going to cost you. So instead you just have your roads for your mainline. Basicaly where you plan on units moving around. And then place railroads in places where you just want to increase supply.
jas0n3660
Corporal

Post by jas0n3660 »

thanks, as you could have guessed i havnt been playing for very long but i understand what your saying
CheefCoach
Warrant Officer

Post by CheefCoach »

Simply, railroads reduce loss of supply potential along the road. Think it like electrical conductivity.

Return to “Production & Economy - 2020”