Ineffective Filters

Discuss examining Terain, Cities, Industries, Bases, Units and Hex Development here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Robot_Of_War
Sergeant

Ineffective Filters

Post by Robot_Of_War »

One of my beefs with SR is one I've never even seen brought up - the filters. In short, my problem with them is that some are very helpful, such as the production filters, while others are next to useless. The ones that suffer from this problem are those that show an element that has a constant coverage of the map with very little variation in value, mainly the population and supply filters, as their filter colors have a similar, nearly indistinguishable change of hue. Of course, they are useful for seeing the general supply levels between countries, but they're worthless for more common tasks like choosing where to place an industry to gain maximum efficiency bonuses/

I propose adding a couple more checkboxes under the filters - one that changes them from their current mode to one that derives the filter color based on the discrepency between the minimum and max values of the chosen element, and a second cone that changes the scope of the filters from being map or region specific.

Anyone with me on this?
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

partly: a color scheme which has different colors for percentages of ten would be very much appreciated. Youa re right, the light variation in hue is making it difficult to see where the best supplied regions are!
But when planting a new powerplant (for example) i always use the build box from the production menu. That way i can scroll throught he world map and check what every region has for efficiency. So there is a way around this, but a better view of supply would be also a thing to add in my view.
deanco
Major

Post by deanco »

Those are a couple of good ideas there, Robot_Of_War. I rarely think about the kind of stuff you mention, too busy attacking, but I agree that it's difficult to see the color changes with certain filters, and I can certainly see the usefulness of putting that in the game.

DeanCo--

Post by Guest »

One good way of doing it is choosing a mix of two primary colours - one representing low supply, one representing high supply, and the medium level of supply is an equal blend, higher or lower will vary the weighting of the colours.
Kukling
Corporal

Post by Kukling »

I think that a solution that could be nice is implementing a 'contrast' control, a slider in the land panel or a checkbox to switch the mouse wheel from zoom to contrast when the gradient filters are active or a keyboard modifier...
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

if we did this sort of thing... i think it would end up in the interface /options menu.

Return to “Land and Terrain”