Augmented Reality a Bust!

Discuss Research and Social Aspects of the game here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Eric Larsen
Colonel

Augmented Reality a Bust!

Post by Eric Larsen »

I was playing the U.S. in the World scenario wanting to check out all those nifty science techs. I decided to research augmented reality to give myself a research efficiency boost. I was at 101% research efficiency when I finally finished augmented reality. The next turn I got to 102%, a mere 1% gain rather than the 10% gain advertised. I ran a couple of more days but my research efficiency stayed at 102%. A really frustrating end to my game and a real killer to my enthusiasm to restart the scenario again.

I also researched the high bandwidth infrastructure tech that was supposed to raise my research efficiency 5% but I didn't see that either though I wasn't paying as close attention as I did with augmented reality. It certainly seeems that neither of the research techs I researched worked as advertised.

I did send a saved game to BG to show them the problem so they can't make any excuses like they don't see the problem the way they did in another thread. BG needs to do a much better job of testing these techs to ensure they work as advertised. So far I've researched high bandwidth, augmented reality and water conservation and not one of them worked properly. The only techs that seem to work are the unit design techs. BG needs to get the science techs working properly before adding more stuff to the game and having more stuff not working properly and being nothing but causes of frustration.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
red
General

Post by red »

The length of time you left the game running is inadequate to see if the technologies are working. Effects take time to implement.
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

Actaully I have seen water conservation work the day after I reseached it. As for the other techs it does ,as red said, take awhile to get the full effect but keep in mind also GDP and education is tied into eff. So if either drops then so will ur eff.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Other parameters

Post by Eric Larsen »

In my game my GDP/c went positive 2 or 3 days after I got augmented reality because my demand was increasing nicely. My education rating was at 95% and my literacy rate was something like 93 or 94%. I had all my ducks lined up for a good boost to my research efficiency and what I got was squat. I'm not even sure my 1% increase wasn't due to my increased investment making it tick up to the next percentage point.

Research efficiency boosts should not take months to take hold. Heck in months one can boost research efficiency just by infusing cash into research and education while keeping inflation from dropping. What the heck sense does it make to even research research efficiency boosts if they don't work or take months to take effect?

If the specs for a research boosting tech say 5% or 10% increase I and any other player expects that rate to happen right away and the effects should be visible the very next day just the way anything happens in the game from a facility becoming complete and adding to production to water conservation which doesn't take months for it's deleterious effects to happen.

Something is really screwy with the science techs and I sure hope that BG will get it's testing act together and make a concerted effort to ensure these wonderful research opportunities work properly.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Re: Other parameters

Post by The_Blind_One »

Eric Larsen wrote:In my game my GDP/c went positive 2 or 3 days after I got augmented reality because my demand was increasing nicely. My education rating was at 95% and my literacy rate was something like 93 or 94%. I had all my ducks lined up for a good boost to my research efficiency and what I got was squat. I'm not even sure my 1% increase wasn't due to my increased investment making it tick up to the next percentage point.

Research efficiency boosts should not take months to take hold. Heck in months one can boost research efficiency just by infusing cash into research and education while keeping inflation from dropping. What the heck sense does it make to even research research efficiency boosts if they don't work or take months to take effect?

If the specs for a research boosting tech say 5% or 10% increase I and any other player expects that rate to happen right away and the effects should be visible the very next day just the way anything happens in the game from a facility becoming complete and adding to production to water conservation which doesn't take months for it's deleterious effects to happen.

Something is really screwy with the science techs and I sure hope that BG will get it's testing act together and make a concerted effort to ensure these wonderful research opportunities work properly.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Well I for one actually believe the tech works, in my understanding it doesn't boost ur efficiency nor ur investment persee,rather it just deducts 10% of the amount of days it takes to research an item, and it does this slowly over time...like in 7 days it deducts 10% of the research time for all research. :D

That's just what I think it is...haven't tested it yet :P
Eric Larsen
Colonel

More Observations

Post by Eric Larsen »

The_Blind_One wrote:Well I for one actually believe the tech works, in my understanding it doesn't boost ur efficiency nor ur investment persee,rather it just deducts 10% of the amount of days it takes to research an item, and it does this slowly over time...like in 7 days it deducts 10% of the research time for all research. :D

That's just what I think it is...haven't tested it yet :P
The_Blind_One,
Well I restarted the World scenario and researched augmented reality again as my first item. When I got it I had bumped up my research efficiency to 108% and then it drifted down to 106%. I got the augmented reality and then my research efficiency jumped up to 112% in a few weeks but I was also kicking in more cash so it's hard to tell if AR or more investment helped raise research efficiency. Then it fell to 109% before I really jacked up my investment to over $2.5 trillion and my research efficiency is now a decent 123%! :o That investment is over 250% higher than at the beginning plus I built 7 research centers to go from 21 to 28. So it's really hard to say if research efficiency is being helped by augmented reality or augmented investment.

One thing I can say for certain is that the research boosters do not cut 5% or 10% from the number of days that it takes to research items. Reducing research times comes from increased investment in tech and a high research efficiency. I have seen research times reduce but never when I get a research booster like augmented reality. That and keeping to 1 research project at a time.

I also did some advanced medical research item that was supposed to boost medical efficiency 5%. I was at 109% and stayed there for about a week or more before it raised up to 110%. But then I was also bumping up my medical investment and it seems that it was more a matter of my increased investment than the research tech that made the difference.

I'm starting to wonder how well efficiency boosters work when you're already over 100%. It really seems like even when waiting many months that they just aren't boosting my efficiencies but when I throw more cash at the problem no problem watching them rise. I really hope BG will look into efficiency boosters working properly when you're already over 100% efficiency. It really seems like they are not working well when I've got high efficiencies.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Journier
Captain

Post by Journier »

? try not boosting anything and test augmented reality, just keep everything the same.
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Looking behind the scenes

Post by Eric Larsen »

Journier wrote:? try not boosting anything and test augmented reality, just keep everything the same.
Journier,
I've found that a lot of the efficiency boosters work, just not obviously. I'ev found that efficiency boosters don't actually boost the efficiency percentage, the effects are more behind the scenes so I now watch how other things are affected to see if an efficiency booster works. Now Augmented Reality is one of the first things I research unless I have other problems that need a research boost first.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen

Return to “Department of Interior - Research and Social Services”