Air droppable units & Future Units

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Draken
General
Human: Yes

Post by Draken »

Well, don't worry... I think we all here are trying to make this game better and the best !!!

I also find something about the BM-21:
http://www.jedsite.info/artillery/golf/ ... /grad.html

There are a bunch of versions of it out there! Even the Israeli LAR is a version of the BM-21!!!! :o
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

What I'll do then is make a seperate entry for a BM-21V with a lower attack/defense/weigth but airdroppable.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

What I'll do then is make a seperate entry for a BM-21V with a lower attack/defense/weigth but airdroppable.
Good idea!

Well... I haven't found any unit this week... Looks like the only ones left are:

ASU-57
ASU-85
M551 Sheridan

But (don't know why) I believe that they were intentionaly left out, am I right?

I noticed that the PT-76 is in the unit list and the ASU-85 is "related" to it (http://www.desert-storm.com/VetPages/SM ... SU-85.html) so, what are the criteria to include/exclude a unit?

I'll keep looking for air-droppable units but there is anything else, unit related that needs to be checked and doesn't require playing the game?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well, coming up with "future units" that make use of stuff from the tech tree is always helpful.

The criteria for including them is if any regions in the game might possible use them. The M551 is in the list already and marked as air droppable. When I checked th ASU-57/85 both are listed as out of production and out of service either in storage or scrapped. That makes them just a little too old.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

The M551 is in the list already
:( Well... I couldnt find it ... Maybe it is in the updated list and not in the excel files in the download area?
When I checked th ASU-57/85 both are listed as out of production and out of service either in storage or scrapped. That makes them just a little too old.
Ok. Got it.
Well, coming up with "future units" that make use of stuff from the tech tree is always helpful.
May I get a tech tree chart?
And, sorry to ask again but I think that it would be very helpful to have an updated unit list... What format are you using? If it is a excel sheet (all clases in one sheet would be perfect!) or any "parseable" format would be nice, after all, I'll import it to an Access DB as I did with the "public" unit list...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I'll see what I can do, but obviously work comes first. The M551 is in the Recon section since that is now it's purpose in life.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

I haven't had time this week to research on the future unit topics... But I manage to find something I think is not included:

US Army Catamaran! (High speed transport ship operated by the US Army)

Couple of links:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... ip/hsv.htm
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2003 ... 09084.html

I also find something about the Black Eagle tank, but it is already included...

BTW. How far in the future should we look?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We're aiming for stuff up to the 2025 area. We do have catamaran technology in but I haven't done any fictional units for it yet.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Do you have unmanned ground vehicles technology (UGV) in the game?

http://immc.redstone.army.mil/immcpubli ... /tugv.html
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

no, so far this have not been incorporated. They are also not used in very large numbers that I can tell. I don't think you would get a batallion of them. We're still unsure that our modeling of UAVs is working out properly :-?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Good point but wouldnt it be the same with manned recon units? I mean, you dont sent a squadron of SR-71 (first to came to my mind) to do a recon. Maybe recon ground units work well because they do have a "secondary" combat capability...

I'll keep looking...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Also, recon air are set to 6 units in the battalion. Having 6 SR-71s is still a little unrealistic, but it's passable. UGVs in that quantity would be useless since almost anything would wipe them out and their spotting range would not be very large.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

What about a minefield clearing role for the UGV? In RL lossing UGV in this task would be more acceptable than lossing soldier.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I'll have to comment more on that when minefields are in. I would suspect that countries that use UGVs in a mine clearing role would have this reflected in the combat values of mine clearing units.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

I would tend to think that UGV's would be something used as part of the role of another type of battalion - especially Engineers.

So we could assume that an Engineer battalion would have a few of these things around to help with mine clearing, bomb removal, etc, part of the role and stats that are already applied.

I don't see UGV's getting much of an 'autonomous' type of role in the near future - just look at the recent DARPA "pilotless vehicle" tests, where smart vehicles were supposed to follow a path from start to finish, and each prototype failed miserably.

The type of UGV's listed above are even more 'stupid', in that they have little on-board control and require a remote operator - basically a very expensive version of the Radio Shack 'remote control dune buggy'. So they really wouldn't fit as a stand-alone unit.

-- George.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”