A couple of things that really gets my goat

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Red Dawn
Captain

A couple of things that really gets my goat

Post by Red Dawn »

Hi all

I have more of a gripe than query as I don't think anything can be done about it unless the mods wish to prove me wrong. But a couple of things that really get my goat is firstly how on earth can a AA gun or even a SAM shoot down a ballistic missile traveling at supersonic speed before its even hit its target?? I could understand a cruise missile being shot down due to its subsonic speed but even if i launch a saturated attack with either LRBM or cruise missiles they all get shot down by some poxy AA gun or a soviet era SAM!!

Even son of star wars can't do that yet nor can fully deployed Israeli Arrow/greenpine radar ABM do that.

Another thing is that after having invested heavily in a couple of squadrons of Raptors they really don't perform as well as I have been led to believe (sure its a game and all performance parameters can't be replicated) but the fact that when you put a squadron of F22's against a squadron of Mig 29s and the F22s end up loosing half their squadron in the encounter... somethings not right there. Even worse is when i end up loosing 5 raptors on a bombing sortie to an engineer battalion??

There my rant is over. Mods pls feel free to delete thread if deemed unconstructive for this forum.
Red Dawn
Captain

Post by Red Dawn »

Sorry forgot to add one more thing..... when ordering one of my destroyers or cruisers to launch a missile strike against a shore target why do they launch the entire salvo of missiles onboard (in some cases 130 BGM 109Xs) at the same target? Is there anyway of limiting the number of missiles launched to say maybe 10 BGM 109Xs to strike Battalion A and then another 10 BGM 109Xs to strike Battalion B etc.

Thanks,
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Red Dawn,

Are you writing about SR2010 or SR2020?

SR2010 is not going to be changed. So while your gripes might be justified nothing is going to result for your postings.

If, on the other hand, you are writing about SR2020 -- you are in the wrong part of the forum. :-)

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
Red Dawn
Captain

Post by Red Dawn »

Hi Feltan

Nah I was writing about SR 2010. I suspected as much but just needed to get it off my chest. Haven't even thought about SR 2020 yet. Still have to finish SR 2010.... conquering the world is hard work! Definately will buy SR 2020 though... any ideas on when its out?
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Now.

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
Red Dawn
Captain

Re: A couple of things that really gets my goat

Post by Red Dawn »

Hi guys.... a few more questions regarding SR 2010.

I'm currently building an orbital launch pad and once completed intent to launch recon and comms satellites. For those who have already done this can anyone confirm whether its worth the $30 bln + price tag?

Will the recon sats lift the fog on certain regions permanently (obviously depending upon my coverage??) What exact beenfit do the comms sats have within the context of the game?? How do I control the sats as well in terms of repositioning them to another orbit or are they geo stationary?

Similarly I researched ICBM but can't find any ICBM missiles to produce? Do i have to build a missile silo in order to be able to produce an ICBM? Thought I may be able to use a mobile missile launcher instead??

Another point is that do Mine sweepers actually have a purpose in the game or are they just for show?

As always your help is always appreciated.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Minesweepers have no special purpose, there had been intention to look at mine warfare but it didn't seem like it would have much impact so was never added. They're essentially for show.

Satellites are quite useful, the Communications ones are usually my preference for the efficiency bonus they provide. Recon do provide spotting across the entire map, but it is at a limited strength so don't expect them to spot subs or special forces for you.

For the ICBMs it is possible that you're playing from a region that has no indigenous ICBMs within the timeline we cover. If you get all the non-tradable research prerequisites, you should be able to trade for the actual missile design you need from a region that does have them.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Sats are worth the money on world maps or large maps.

ICBM's once researched can be built if you have missile capacity to do it. It only takes one slot but I think you might need to turn WMD's on somewhere.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Red Dawn
Captain

Post by Red Dawn »

Thanks Balthagor and SGTscuba.

1) For the last several days I've been weighing up the pros and cons of inducting captured military equipement versus selling them off from a region that has fallen to me.

Most of the high end equipment my military currently uses tends to be Nato standard (well mainly US) with a mix of indigenously produced stuff.

To date I've usually sold all the equipment captured (with the exception of a few AD units) due to compatibility issues and non uniformity with current Nato (US) equipment in addition to units captured whether they be land, air or naval units don't necessarily present a technological leap over what I currently have. Thats not to say that the captured equipment is obsolete and integrating captured equipment would be cheaper than producing new units.

Is this a wise move given the fact that the game is geared to a state pursuing an expansionist policy ?

What do you guys usually do?

2) If you place a unit in reserve do you actually save on the annual maintenance cost? If so how do you find out by how much?

3) The reserve pool numbers baffle me. I've placed 2/3rds of my operational units into reserve as they're not needed at the moment and hoping my burgeoning military expenditure will come down. But what I noticed recently is that as my ever decreasing reserve pool - stands at 20,000 now (as attrition/force depletion, construction of new military installations etc has been draining my reserve force) if I were to simultaneously activate the 700 odd units in reserve in the event of a surprise attack on several fronts I'd be screwed!

I always was under the impression that when a unit is built and it goes into reserves the number of personnel manning that unit will not be transferred to the general reserve pool but always stay with the unit??? Is this not true???

Apart from sharply increasing salaries and forcing conscription are there any other tricks that I can use to maintain a sufficient amount of reserves in the pool to ensure I can activate all my units simultaneously??

Thanks
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Red Dawn wrote:...I always was under the impression that when a unit is built and it goes into reserves the number of personnel manning that unit will not be transferred to the general reserve pool but always stay with the unit??? Is this not true???
I'm not sure I follow you. Reserve personnel and units are separate. If you build a unit and it goes to reserves, that's done. If you deploy a unit either at the end of construction or later one it then takes ppl from the reserver personnel to staff that unit. Putting a unit into the queue does not increase your staff pool by the staff value of the unit if that's what you mean...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Red Dawn
Captain

Post by Red Dawn »

Hi Balthagor what I meant was that after a unit is built and deployed when returning to reserves the personnel manning that unit go the general reserve pool and don't stay with the unit. So for example when the general reserve pool is at 0 a unit that is built, had been deployed but then returned to reserves for whatever reason can not be deployed due to the insufficient pool of reserves right? I was under the impression that the personnel manning a unit always stay with that unit whether they are deployed or in reserves and are not transferred to the general reserve pool?

Hope it makes more sense now.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

yes, I think I understand what you're saying, but the reserve personnel is a pool system where they move where they are needed. If you have no reserve personnel left, you can reserve one unit to deploy another with the same or less personnel. The game does not keep track of the personnel assigned to a unit.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Red Dawn
Captain

Post by Red Dawn »

The other day I launched a heliborne assault from a LHD off the coast of a rival state utilising specops to capture a sea port thinking that once I have captured and secured the installation then the bulk of my invasion force loaded on to supply ships (note these ships are not designed for amphibious assaults and so have to dock at a port to unload their cargo) can just sail in and offload at the port. However to my dismay as soon as my specops captured and secured the sea port it was deemed unusable by the game!! The sea port was naturally classified as being mine but the game said that it was being repaired!!

Prior to this operation I made sure that none of my destroyers or strike aircraft touched the port to make sure it remained in tact for the specop assault.

The exact same thing happened when I launched a 2nd heliborne assault from an offshore platform to capture a nearby airstrip.

Whats the point of launching such assaults to capture enemy installations when they are deemed to be unusable by the game as soon as you capture them??

Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

When buildings in territory not loyal to you are captured they take damage. Still done that way in SR2020. This is always how it has worked. I don't remember what the rules are for why it goes offline to repair as opposed to staying online to repair.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”