units often dont respond timely to retreat or reppair

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

units often dont respond timely to retreat or reppair

Post by tkobo »

Settings low ,which says they will retreat, the almost never do from the frontlines.
Settings none for loss tolerance,and they just sit there getting pounded into dust

However issue the a move order away from combat,and off the go.

The should auto retreat ,and follow a reppair order at least as well as a move order, but they dont seem to .
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Rosalis
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: units often dont respond timely to retreat or reppair

Post by Rosalis »

+1 see SR2020 Gold

This shouldnt be too hard to get properly working again? If unit has 60% 40% or 20% health, retreat and hopefully take a safe repair route.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Rosalis wrote: Jan 13 2021 ...This shouldnt be too hard to get properly working again?
When you work with software, you learn that it's dangerous to say "oh, that should be easy". I know that, and I don't even touch the code.

I think the units are running out of fuel while trying to get back to base for repairs. Units out of fuel will save up a bit before moving. They are coded that it's better to stop, build up a bit of fuel, then move forward. If they moved as fast as the fuel arrived the would probably appear to stutter.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Rosalis
Colonel

Post by Rosalis »

I dont know what you are talking about. Unit initiative doesnt work since SRU, so maybe instead of more features, existing ones could get working again.

Low unit initiative = unit should be repaired
medium unit initiative = ai reserve units
high unit initiative = full ai control

low loss tolerance is repair at 60%
medium 40%
high 20% health

Thats how it worked in SR2020.

Where do you read we say units stutter?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Rosalis wrote: Jan 14 2021 I dont know what you are talking about. Unit initiative doesnt work since SRU..
And I don't know what you're talking about. If if I put unit initiative up to full, my AI will deploy land, air and naval units and move them around my planet. Sounds like it's working to me. Not working and not complete are two different things.

You didn't say units stutter, I am the one who said units WOULD stutter if we made them move every time they had a tiny bit of gas. I was attempting to explain the current implementation. Right now, if the are at zero %, they will stop. When they get to 1%, they keep waiting. I don't know the exact value (5% maybe?) but until they get enough to move a significant distance, they stop moving entirely.

I'm not sure what values are used in the code (I don't do any programming). I'm certain that each level of initiative is much more complex a single statement.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I think if they are retreating and can move, they should.And we see they can move ,though only a little bit, by issuing them the move order. Perhaps remove of lower the amount of fuel they try and save. A stuttering unit is better then a sitting unit, as that little stutter movement might be the one that gets them out of the target hex and or into a supply hex. Stuttering movement also gives the player a clearer idea of whats happening with the unit. When the unit just sits there trying to save up fuel, we dont know if its trying to follow the retreat or repair order ,or if its just sitting there because the order has failed to be followed for some reason.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I'm still not a fan. It's rather unrealistic. I can't drive my car around effectively by putting in one gallon at a time...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Issues and Support”