large balance issues

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

large balance issues

Post by tkobo »

Light infantry way to effective against tanks...

Tanks way to ineffective against light infantry...

Helicopters way to hard to kill.Way to effective against just about everything...

Fighters jets far too ineffective against helicopters (almost forgot this one)

Jets run out of ammo far too fast, making them only really suited for defense.They also pack too light a punch against ground units. Still.

Enemy air units far to hard to spot.They can have a stack of helicopters standing off shore firing for days, and none of my many radars can spot them.I can in fact fly a full stack of fighters right thru the helicopters hex, and not see them til ive passed thru them.

Supply is far to difficult for the invader to establish.Pontoon bridges that allow supply to cross water might help.Not sure ground unit engineers are fully working,they dont seem to allow construction in non supplied areas.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
CeaganP
BattleGoat Team
Human: Yes

Re: large balance issues

Post by CeaganP »

Hi tkobo,

I'm going to try to quantify some of these to make it a bit easier to apply these changes to the game.

1) Light infantry way to effective against tanks...
- HardAttack is too high

2) Tanks way to ineffective against light infantry...
- SoftAttack is too high

3) Helicopters way to hard to kill.
- Defenses too high? I'm not immediately seeing the stats that are creating this but the defense stats are pretty beefy.
3.1) Fighters jets far too ineffective against helicopters (almost forgot this one)
- Likely caused by helicopters being too hard to kill in general.

4) Jets run out of ammo far too fast, making them only really suited for defense. They also pack too light a punch against ground units. Still.
- SupplyCap is too low

5) Enemy air units far to hard to spot. They can have a stack of helicopters standing off shore firing for days, and none of my many radars can spot them. I can in fact fly a full stack of fighters right thru the helicopters hex, and not see them till I've passed thru them.
- Spotting ranges are too low. What units specifically were you using to spot them here?

6) Supply is far to difficult for the invader to establish. Pontoon bridges that allow supply to cross water might help.
- Supply doesn't grow fast enough? I'm not sure how else to phrase this, correct me if this sounds wrong please.

7) Not sure ground unit engineers are fully working, they don't seem to allow construction in non supplied areas.
- This might not be an issue with the engineers but I will take a look.

Let me know if I'm missing anything here or if you think the cause of any of this might be from something else!

Look forward to hearing from you,
Ceagan
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

2) i think this would be soft attack stats of the tank are too LOW ? OR defense on the infrantry unit is too high vs tank attack ?>

3) a heli unit can fly thru like 26 air defense buildings AND like 40 high end air defense units, and circle back out and still be alive...thats pretty severe. I think part of it is how hard it is for attackers to spot the helis...and part of is they soak up damage like crazy.AND while they do this, they can manage to destroy a ground or 2. I think they might even be handing jet units their heads...

5) multiple radar buildings and multiple recon units and multiple jets.All together have a really hard time spotting enemy air units. (now something ive noticed is that theres a constant thunderstorm of some other rain storm going on ,on the planet im fighting on...id think this might be part of it ? )

6) supply itself is working fine, but the invader has to operate without a supply base during the "landing" and afterwards has to contend against the enemy planets supply power, but they dont have many options. Ive been launching and dropping the stellar transports ships using them as mobile supply, but im not sure you intended for that to be done,and they dont hold enough supplies to keep the forces they can carry supplied without doing this 2 or 3 times a day during the fighting.
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Okay, i built some of those damn helis, just to see how insane they were from my side.....id say they also are the best spotting unit in the game ive seen yet. If theres an enemy unit anywhere within like 4 hexes of their flight path, they spot it way before they reach it.
Chuckle TM
CeaganP
BattleGoat Team

Post by CeaganP »

I got a save up and running which gives me a bit of combat experience here. I'm uploading a screen shot of the configuration I have right now. I do notice that if I use an overwhelming amount of infantry that the heli's aren't even noticed.
https://imgur.com/a/9Ezvj6B
I'm just holding the line right now and the tanks aren't plowing through my units too quickly, maybe the biggest difference between our setups is the supply levels? I have about 25-40% supply on the front line
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

20210113021701_1.jpg
20210113014559_1.jpg
I re-started a save from one save and made only light infantry and those damn high end helis... the light infantry is like the best ground unit in the game.By far.
This is the kind of mass battles i run into. You can how much light infantry the enyemy uses ,and how well it survives.Most of the enemy helis during these screens are not visible because the are sitting in stacks just north of the battle and i cant see them unlesss i send a mass of my own helis up there.

Yea, i have zero supply on frontline and most occupied hexs, because its land i recently took and supply sources are non-existant.It would have zero supply completely if not for the bridge i build to the area from the island i possess .The island has huge supply on every hex,because it as has massive amounts of military structures.BUT most of the mainland areas i took, fall before i can establish supply there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuckle TM
CeaganP
BattleGoat Team

Post by CeaganP »

My oh my...that is the largest scale invasion I have ever seen. That's a pretty good stress test that's for sure. I see what you mean with the supply. I played a bit longer on the game I had going and was starting to encounter a bit of difficulties with the helicopters and I noticed the range of my infantry wasn't enough to take their defenses out without engaging on them. But if I engage on their hexes I don't have any supply and then no ammo.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Found another piece of the issue.... do NOT fight a light infantry vi that has earned a gold star..

I attacked one of them with 300 fighter bombers, before my aircraft left for resupply, they had only managed to remove ONE green bar from the light infantries health......AND it healed before my aircraft made it back to base :P
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Why are helicopters so much faster than jets ?

I mean,its not even close.Its like jets are pulling semi trailers when they fly .Helicopter speed seems fine, but jets....
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Its not a big issue at the moment,because helis are so invincible... but they fly really bad retreat paths failry often. They will fly 20 hexes deeper into enemy territory on these long arced paths they take on their way back to the airbase...I wouldnt be suprised if when this happens, they travel thru more enemy hexes then friendly hexes on their retreat :P
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

tkobo wrote: Jan 16 2021 Why are helicopters so much faster than jets ?
Yeah, our initial values for these are wrong.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Values revised for the next update.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Also, attack and defense values for helicopters and multirole major revision for next update.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Balance is so much better now. I actually feel bad for enemy heli pilots now,they get thoroughly chewed up and shot down now when they come in in small numbers. when they come in large enough numbers ,they can do some chewing up of their own,which is as it should be.

Same with jets.
Chuckle TM

Return to “Issues and Support”