Why are units so easily made ?

Have a feature request for GR? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

youssef
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Why are units so easily made ?

Post by youssef »

Units in this game are so easily produced that you can just build an army of 50-100 units and land take a small island and build land facilities and invade the rest of the planet.
one mod that I took inspiration from is supreme ruler remastered where it increase the size of main combat to a regiment and increase the cost time and upkeep these changes made the play much more interesting with a tank regiment that takes from 155-220 days to build losing one is much more painful and even as a great power like the USA or Russia you become much more careful because if you lose that tank the time that it will take to build a new tank regiment the war will be already over. I which something like that was in GR so invading a planet isn't a matter of time and you acutely need to prepare properly for the invasion of a planet. I am going to be talking about the time to build and unit cost for all 4 branches.

NAVY
The Navy is by far the branch that is done most correctly by both unit cost and time to build. but my why is there no unit upkeep visible and why can an aircraft carrier only Carrie one aircraft unit at the start.

AIR FORCE
I will use the Shadowstrike mk.1 as an example. The Shadowstrike is the main multi-role aircraft in this game each wing has 18 aircraft and it takes 35 days to build. now I will use the f-35 aircraft as an example it takes a minimum of 7 months to build a single aircraft now i know that time runs differently in GR but i don't think that makes the multi-role aircraft so cheap and easy to produce. because when you consider that this game is made 299 years in the future it makes it even more likely that a single aircraft will take over a year or two to make. now you might say that our construction ability has increased that we can make an aircraft in 1 third of a year. but we don't make ww2 aircraft in the modern era because this implies that we use the same type of technology and military equipment as before but that's not the case. military aircraft are getting more and more expensive to produce and maintain that only 3 nations today have 5 gen aircraft and not many have 4 gen aircraft by the time it's 2320 it will be a 10 gen aircraft I can only imagine how much they will cost to produce and maintain. i believe that the easiest way to fix it is by increasing the cost by 10 and the upkeep 5 and the build time by 4.

LAND FORCE
The land force just like the air force suffers from the same problems so I am not going to repeat myself. I think that cost for land units should be increased by 10 and upkeep by 6. I am going to give a rough estimate of how much units should take to produce with different times for units and upgrades so if a tier-one unit takes 120 days to build then tier two should take 130 or 140 days to build.
tier one units
Infantry 120 days
Recon 100 days
Tanks 150 days
artillery 100
anti air 100
transport 50
I also want to talk about how the ground war in an interstellar war will be like and my sources come from the different books and videos i have watched and read like the frontline series by Marko Kloos but to save you the time I am going to tell you a simplified version.

Ground combat in space like colonies will not be like on earth. you will not have the same ground battles in space because of the transport issue and logistics so big battles on another planet will be more of a division vs division battle not like SRU will you will have thousands of units at your disposal now I don't say they won't happen but we should try to stay away from that or make it so its only late game that you have the resources and technology.
thankfully we can see this in our own world because the technology advances so much and a single rifleman equipment now cost more than one 100 years ago you don't or can't have as many as before so armies like Chania which has is the biggest army in the world is dressing to modernization. if we want to make GR more realistic we should make it harder to build an army and maintain it not too much hover because its a video game after all :). so I will want to see or make a mod where the AI and human player doesn't have as much and needs to do with relatively little units but much more powerful.

SPACE FORCE
Has so many issues with both the time cost and unit stats.
I believe that we should increase the cost by 10 upkeep by 6 and time to build x4. but my biggest problem is the unit stats like why is one wing of fighter equal one fighter? and why the can carriers only carry 7 ? so basically i have to wait over a year to have a carrier to carry 7 aircraft. why are the only difference between a cruiser and a battlecruiser only a little higher cost and 9 days? why is it more costly to build a tank than a battlecruiser ? and what is the purpose of a command ship? and why are Corvette more deadly than Destroyer?

now I know that you try to make space warfare different from naval warfare for example not needing as many troops because its mostly automated and doesn't need to be as large but are you telling me that a space cruiser cost two time less than a tank battalion with all the complexity going on with the production of a space warship?.
Rosalis
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: Why are units so easily made ?

Post by Rosalis »

Supreme ruler remastered turns the small nations even more pointless if thats even possible. Not the modder fault, you can only do so much with the balance and economy. You gotta make choices.

In galactic ruler with a couple of regions its different i guess. Your feedback doesnt surprise me, but hey i guess its still under review.. One person might take up the task...
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Re: Why are units so easily made ?

Post by tkobo »

youssef wrote: Sep 19 2021 army of 50-100 units and land take a small island and build land facilities and invade the rest of the planet.
Im not sure whats hes stating here....the only worlds ive encountered that you can do this on, are pirate worlds.

The major faction worlds back when they were easy, took a few hundred units to form a beach head,and many of those would die.One patch back, invading a major faction successfully took over 1k units,and often close to 2k.

As for units being too easy to build...They really arent. The typical unit in this game is not a lot of men or equipment
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM

Return to “Suggestions - GR”