Diplomatic/Embassy Drones

Have a feature request for GR? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

NullHate
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Diplomatic/Embassy Drones

Post by NullHate »

I was thinking possibly having some sort of diplomatic drone that sends "gifts" or something to a newly discovered race.

They could allow you to open an embassy and put you on a good standing or something.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Diplomatic/Embassy Drones

Post by Balthagor »

Interesting. Diplomacy is an area we still plan to expand.

I'm not sure building units would be the most effective way of doing this. Why not just an option in the diplomacy popup?

Also, what are you thinking of for "gifts"?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
NullHate
Sergeant

Post by NullHate »

Balthagor wrote: Jan 02 2021 Interesting. Diplomacy is an area we still plan to expand.

I'm not sure building units would be the most effective way of doing this. Why not just an option in the diplomacy popup?

Also, what are you thinking of for "gifts"?
Well I was thinking the drone could act like the colony ship in the sense it can be deployed onto a planets surface and be constructed.

The AI would then send a diplomatic drone and do the same.

The gifts could be a unique technology to the specific race/units/resources/a colony or something along those lines that is sent with the drone.

It could be a step before using the diplomacy popup or used with it maybe.

If the "gifts" are enough the embassy is opened and then you could also send in spies to the planets to operate through the embassy attacking infrastructure or trying to ruin relations with other races etc.

If the "gifts" are not enough they could be stolen or destroyed giving another reason for war.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

NullHate wrote: Jan 02 2021 Well I was thinking the drone could act like the colony ship in the sense it can be deployed onto a planets surface and be constructed.
Onto the planets of other races? Once deployed, what does it do? We don't currently limit diplomatic actions once you've discovered a race, so I don't have any ideas what it would "unlock".
NullHate wrote: Jan 02 2021 The gifts could be a unique technology to the specific race/units/resources/a colony or something along those lines that is sent with the drone.
What kind of technology, what does it do? What reason would we give for why players can't just research it?
NullHate wrote: Jan 02 2021 It could be a step before using the diplomacy popup or used with it maybe.

If the "gifts" are enough the embassy is opened and then you could also send in spies to the planets to operate through the embassy attacking infrastructure or trying to ruin relations with other races etc.

If the "gifts" are not enough they could be stolen or destroyed giving another reason for war.
Hmm, I'm not sure why you would land on someone's planet before opening diplomatic talks. We'd again need a reason for why you can't just negotiate once you have communication with them.

You've got some interesting ideas here, but I don't yet see something we can use. Feel free to keep brainstorming, that's what we usually do :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
NullHate
Sergeant

Post by NullHate »

Hey,

I will keep thinking, I guess I was just wanting a "first contact" or something along those lines.
But your right, you turn up with ships and hail the planet I get it.

I was thinking a drone could be the first contact, like if you send a drone, the AI wont automatically attack it as it is seen as a peaceful unit which would improve diplomatic standing with a few points or something.
Where as if you send in a cruiser this would be seen as an act of war straight away and damage relations.

Thanks for the input mate =D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

NullHate wrote: Jan 04 2021 ...seen as a peaceful unit ...
This overlaps well with some of our existing mechanics. The AI already has some awareness for "visible units" and that does factor into their diplomatic opinion. I'll make a separate note for us to make sure it's been updated for space visibility.

Feel free to keep the ideas coming :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Suggestions - GR”