Unload selected units from transport

Have a feature request for GR? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Moderators

SGTscuba
General

Unload selected units from transport

Post by SGTscuba »

I would like to see a feature come back that was in SR2010. This was the ability to go into a transport units storage and unload individual units rather than having to unload the whole cargo.

See the attached picture for the UI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Unload selected units from transport

Post by Balthagor »

It seems some smart person brought that up before; viewtopic.php?f=61&t=19664&p=136747#p136747

Ticket still open. 16482.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Balthagor wrote: Dec 06 2020 It seems some smart person brought that up before; viewtopic.php?f=100&t=31899

Ticket still open. 16482.
You know that link brings you straight back here :lol:

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

oops. Fixed
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

To help move this forward, let me give a bit of context of where this runs into problems;

First, you need to understand that there is two kinds of data for units. There is "actual unit" data and "design unit" data. When I build a unit, it is "actual". When I what to know it's fuel, it looks at "actual unit" data. When I look at a unit in research or in the list of available units to build, I'm looking at "unit design" data. So a unit design doesn't have current cargo or fuel values, only maximums, a fixed value.

When we look at list of units (SRU or GR) and hold the mouse on the line, we see a bunch of "actual unit" data. This includes a list of units in cargo. But this is a tooltip, so we can't interact with the line.

When I select the same line from the list and select "blueprint" to see the stats, it shows us the "design unit" data. There is no cargo in a design, only in an actual, so we can't show it in the popup.

It's not difficult to make a list of units in cargo. Once we can interact with the list, it's easy to issue orders like unload. But where do we put it? I've considered this a few times with no good answers.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

One idea that I did come up with, we could have Unload give another list when selected. Same way "load into" gives you choices if there are multiple transports in the hex. We could have all at the top, but that would still be an extra click to unload all.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Balthagor wrote: Dec 07 2020 One idea that I did come up with, we could have Unload give another list when selected. Same way "load into" gives you choices if there are multiple transports in the hex. We could have all at the top, but that would still be an extra click to unload all.
Balthagor wrote: Dec 07 2020 To help move this forward, let me give a bit of context of where this runs into problems;

First, you need to understand that there is two kinds of data for units. There is "actual unit" data and "design unit" data. When I build a unit, it is "actual". When I what to know it's fuel, it looks at "actual unit" data. When I look at a unit in research or in the list of available units to build, I'm looking at "unit design" data. So a unit design doesn't have current cargo or fuel values, only maximums, a fixed value.

When we look at list of units (SRU or GR) and hold the mouse on the line, we see a bunch of "actual unit" data. This includes a list of units in cargo. But this is a tooltip, so we can't interact with the line.

When I select the same line from the list and select "blueprint" to see the stats, it shows us the "design unit" data. There is no cargo in a design, only in an actual, so we can't show it in the popup.

It's not difficult to make a list of units in cargo. Once we can interact with the list, it's easy to issue orders like unload. But where do we put it? I've considered this a few times with no good answers.
In SR2010, it was obviously on the technical popup when you double clicked on the unit.

I did try what George suggested by going through the whole list and then finding the units. This is ok with 1 transport but would be a nightmare with more then one, and that's before we get to the clunkiness of doing it.

Maybe for a location, you could add a "Unit Cargo" button on the orders tab for a unit. This would open a popup with the units inside and then you could select which one from the list and then press unload. At least that way it would pull the list out for that transport so you could go through it individually.

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

In the latest fasttrack, the popup has been redesigned to be separate for Actual Units/Unit Designs. The cargo list is in the popup for Actual. You can select individual units and unload them :)

This function will be able to carry over to the next SR game also.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Balthagor wrote: Dec 30 2020 In the latest fasttrack, the popup has been redesigned to be separate for Actual Units/Unit Designs. The cargo list is in the popup for Actual. You can select individual units and unload them :)

This function will be able to carry over to the next SR game also.
oooo, i'll give it a try

Return to “Suggestions - GR”