What's the manual going to be like?

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

ziggy
Sergeant

Post by ziggy »

Are we getting a paper manual?

Or is it going to be on the CD disk?

If it's on the CD disk - can it be acessed from outside the game? And what format will it have?

Thanks.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

It's quite certain there will be a paper manual. If the hard copy manual has space limitations we may also provide reference material on CD (ie PDF format), such as equipment charts and scenario details.

But we are quite committed to providing a good manual for the product, especially given the number of details that are available in the program for players that want to "dig deeper" and micro-manage certain elements.

-- George.
<Lead Programmer, BattleGoat Studios>
ziggy
Sergeant

Post by ziggy »

I don't think a PDF format is really the best way to go.

End users can't print it out. The free reader does not allow that. How about including a MSWORD.DOC format. That can always be in addition to a PDF if the PDF is a 'must'.

Also, I've never heard anyone say good things about a PDF. Usually it's negitive feedback. Maybe PDF is easier for the programmers to make? I don't know.

But if something is going to be on the disk I vote for MSWORD. Maybe you should ask the users before it's a firm decision?
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

I'm sure as we get to working on the manual we'll be asking for input on the format and contents etc. PDF format tends to be more universal, and there shouldn't be problems printing it - the free reader I use can print. There are PDF files that on purpose don't let you print, but that's because of the way the files were made. We could also include the files in multiple formats if that was of interest to people.

I suppose one question is whether people want items such as equipment lists, scenario details, and other 'reference' items included in the manual, or online instead. Often it is hard to include those items in printed docs because they keep changing right up until the program ships; that last thing you want is the program to be delayed because of the docs.

-- George.
ziggy
Sergeant

Post by ziggy »

I always wondered if game makers could hook up with Office Depot and get a coupon for printing out the manual.

But I am happy that you will look to the customers for input before you decide.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

GOD I HATE PDF format !
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

Regarding Equipment charts I thought you intended to let the actual charts be read and editable for players so they could change the specs and information on different units to spice up the games for themselves- so why add an equipment chart?

As for a manual- why not simply put it into HTML pages? everyone can view those as well.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

HTML is a format we've discussed and we still intend to have a large portion of the manual on our website. As for as the charts, 2 reasons to have them in the manuals. One, players need to know the default stats since only advanced players will change them. Secondly, the charts are currently just spreadsheets with little explanation. We need something a little more presentable.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion”