Another newbie with a couple of questions...

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

megatronbomb
Corporal

Another newbie with a couple of questions...

Post by megatronbomb »

I remember hearing about this game back when a similar game came out a couple years back, and had forgotten all about it until the other night when I stumbled across the demo, was impressed, and bought a copy.

I've got two questions (for now :-)).

1. Even with the game set to the fastest speed, and the "double" speed option enabled in preferences, the passage of time still seems really slow. This has been my biggest "gripe" I guess. Is there anything that can be done to speed the passage of time up any? Hidden settings, etc?

2. What's up with certain units moving around by themselves? Like in some scenarios I've got what look like big cargo planes (C-5s, etc) taking off, circling, and then landing continuously. Why? Isn't this wasting resources? How do I make the military "behave" and stay put?

Thanks!
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Re: Another newbie with a couple of questions...

Post by tkobo »

Answers in red
megatronbomb wrote:
1. Even with the game set to the fastest speed, and the "double" speed option enabled in preferences, the passage of time still seems really slow. This has been my biggest "gripe" I guess. Is there anything that can be done to speed the passage of time up any? Hidden settings, etc?

There are no hidden settings.The larger the map, the more units or buildings on it the slower the time with process.
There are some settings you can change in the ini that might allow you to speed things up some depending on why its running slow.

Changing these settings will cause issues in multi and again, may not help at all.
Ill dig up a post on what and how to do so for ya

2. What's up with certain units moving around by themselves? Like in some scenarios I've got what look like big cargo planes (C-5s, etc) taking off, circling, and then landing continuously. Why? Isn't this wasting resources? How do I make the military "behave" and stay put?

You want to find you military initiative and set it to zero.This will prevent most of the movement of units due to the AI feeling the need to move them.
You also want to make sure there is 7 or less aircraft landed (also goes for land and sea units) in a given hex.If there are more than 7 the overstacking rule may kick in forcing units to move out of the hex.With aircrat ,this can cause them to launch circle the field and than land, in a constant cycle.
And yes, it does waste fuel/oil.

Thanks!
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
natoforces
Lieutenant

Post by natoforces »

you need to do a lot of research....

1. I don't know why, you want to double the speed, especially if you knew, there is a lot...I mean A LOT, that you must at least look around, research the forums for all the help under SR2010. This is a very complex game, but incredibly excellent and very-real game

2. Your air base or military airstrip can only hold so much air unit, so try to place some of the other unit at other bases, if not, place them on reserve, this is also cutting cost
natoforces
Lieutenant

Post by natoforces »

oops...i didn't know Tkobo, was answering, i only saw it when I submit it, in that case ignore mine, you already got the best answer megatronbomb :)
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

This is a list from legend,one of the devs, that givse some changes you can make to your settings normally.

There was another post about things that affect the game and it's speed... the simplist things are (as mentioned) savegames... reduce how often this happens or turn it off... and filters. LOS filter, close combat filter, ownership filter, etc. they all add to the speed of the game.
Also one i know can have a measureable effect is the movement paths, turning these off can help alot.
------------------
And heres a post qoute from red ,talking about the ini change
In INI\Options.ini, your last line is:

speedrateslices 0, 15, 40, 100,

This is pause, slow, normal, fast. I think there are 1400 slices to a day. Having modified settings there could cause multiplayer problems, but within the game, it doesn't bother anything. Still, you may not see a noticeable difference from raising the fast value if your system is limited

Now again,if your game is running slow becuase its alreayd pushing your system to its max,these ini changes may have zero effect.
And remember, always make a copy of anythig you change and save it somewhere, so its easier to change back.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
megatronbomb
Corporal

Post by megatronbomb »

tkobo wrote:This is a list from legend,one of the devs, that givse some changes you can make to your settings normally.

There was another post about things that affect the game and it's speed... the simplist things are (as mentioned) savegames... reduce how often this happens or turn it off... and filters. LOS filter, close combat filter, ownership filter, etc. they all add to the speed of the game.
Also one i know can have a measureable effect is the movement paths, turning these off can help alot.
------------------
And heres a post qoute from red ,talking about the ini change
In INI\Options.ini, your last line is:

speedrateslices 0, 15, 40, 100,

This is pause, slow, normal, fast. I think there are 1400 slices to a day. Having modified settings there could cause multiplayer problems, but within the game, it doesn't bother anything. Still, you may not see a noticeable difference from raising the fast value if your system is limited

Now again,if your game is running slow becuase its alreayd pushing your system to its max,these ini changes may have zero effect.
And remember, always make a copy of anythig you change and save it somewhere, so its easier to change back.
Okay, I played around with the settings a bit and was able to reduce the day length from 20 seconds to 13. Not as fast as I might like, but it'll do for now.

I very much appreciate your assistance in the matter! 8)

And thanks for pointing out the military initiative... I've finally got that figured out.
megatronbomb
Corporal

Post by megatronbomb »

Also, I should've specified that was on the Europe map, the only one I've played. Just for giggles I tried the new speed settings on a smaller map, Carolinas, and it was even faster. So I guess if I want a long (time-wise) epic game I just need to pick the smaller maps. Thanks again.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

System ram is a common bottleneck on larger maps, if you're looking at hardware solutions for the game speed.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion”