Picked up the game again, couple of questions

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Virtokaii
Warrant Officer

Picked up the game again, couple of questions

Post by Virtokaii »

1. Are overstrengthed Engineers better at speeding up production than normal strength ones?

2. I guess I already know the answer to this, but enemies won't buy from me anymore, right?

3. Does the WM actually buy my products, or only sell to me?
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

2. If you mean commodites then nope, u will both have an embargo on each others goods, so even if you allow them to buy from you, they still wouldnt due to restrictions on their side.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

1) I beleive the devs said, the str of an engineer unit and the number of units both factor into the speed increase.I'll look for the post.

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... r+strength
Relevant part
Dbl checked with Goerge, both strength of the unit and unit efficiency affect the construction benefit
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

3) I hesitate to answer this one becuase im just not sure.

It was originally meant to buy and sell comodities.

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... ght=market

Relevant part
George Geczy wrote: It will also buy and sell goods 'off map', an important element of the economic model (as in reality). It also has a nasty habit of raising world prices when a product is in high demand (as in OPEC).
-- George.
Now im pretty sure this stayed accurate because i can think of games in which i was at war with everyone on the map, and someone was still buying my stuff on occassions.

However , we have no solid way to know who has bought what from us in the game, so theres no real way for us to check.

Found a better more up to date post

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... ght=market

Relevant part
Balthagor wrote: The WM is the major customer for some commodities in certain maps. In Australia, you can make money selling Uranium but no one has a nuclear power plant...

The quantity that the WM buys and sells are set by the scenario designer.
Now i have to say, there were a few bugs with the world market and again we have no way to be sure who buys what from us.
So this really would require a more recent dev answer to be solid imho.
(just in case its supposed to, but doesnt due to some bug we dont know about ,or some such)
Chuckle TM
Virtokaii
Warrant Officer

Post by Virtokaii »

Thanks guys for the quick replies, guess I'll have to scrap those engineers then. The posters impressions about the WM match my own experiences, so I guess they buy from you as well; too bad thats not much help in the World scenario :(
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Virtokaii wrote:... too bad thats not much help in the World scenario :(
There is no WM at the world level...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Virtokaii
Warrant Officer

Post by Virtokaii »

hence the :(
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

I created a WWIII scenario with a WM, and realistic at-start military forces and revamped alliances and diplomatic relations to reflect near term political situations.

It wasn't worth the effort.

The game is hardwired for CB against China and the US -- they can be pure saint-like governments, and everyone will still DoW them.

The realistic militaries last, oh, about a year before everyone and their uncle builds tons of engineers and stingers. The game eventually grinds to a near halt in about ten years (due, I believe, to the massive amount of units on the map).

Anyway, we can hope 2020 handles this better.

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
RosenMcStern
Warrant Officer

Post by RosenMcStern »

I think the problem with China and the US is due to ther high buildcap. The AI is trained in considering the highest buildcap as the Bad Guy.

The problem about Engineers and Stingers is easily moddable. If I have the time to learn SR2010 modding I'll do it, or suggest to someone with more experience how to do it. I have some experience with flawed AIs, and they can be "trained" somehow.

The real problem, however, is the "endless build" affair. You can have the AI build a better selection of troops, but if it goes on building when it should not (possibly flooding an island or continent) there is nothing that can be done.
bungle
Warrant Officer

Post by bungle »

For sure the addition of who's buying to the trade screen for 2020 would be a nice addition.
He either fears his fate too much, Or his desserts are small, Who dares not put it to the touch, To win or lose it all.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Yup, and im pretty sure its on the list of wanted features the devs keep.
So we have a hope it might make it in.
Chuckle TM
Virtokaii
Warrant Officer

Post by Virtokaii »

After browsing through the forum, reading some threads and playing the game some more I have a few more questions:

1. Stealth: I've read in a post that the stealth feature isn't implimented, or not implemented correctly, is that still so? I was planning on using F-117s to destroy AA units, is that a viable tactic?

2. Fast Unit Build Option: At the start of a scenario or a campaign that's one of the options you can select. In game it seems to make no difference for unit build times whether this has been activated or not, what gives?

3. Someone posted that entrenching units in cities helps the DAR, does it?

4. Commodity prices seem to be different on different maps. Is that true and if yes, why?

5. Production to demand seems to be off, often I still produce more than I need, any way to fix that?

On a brighter note, for once I have been able to get an economy going that can rely entirely on the domestic market. In a campaign game as Japan, on the second map, I'm making just under two billion a day without exporting anything!
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Answers in red
Virtokaii wrote:After browsing through the forum, reading some threads and playing the game some more I have a few more questions:

1. Stealth: I've read in a post that the stealth feature isn't implimented, or not implemented correctly, is that still so? I was planning on using F-117s to destroy AA units, is that a viable tactic?

Stealth is implemended and can work well under certain instances.Most players i think will say its underpowered .And i think alot agree that part of the problem is not only balance, but the issue that hexs themselves have a spotting ability
So when you enter an enemy hex, it automactially gets a high chance to see you.So, stealth units are most able when used from a hex that the enemy does not own or is not allied with the owner of.
For instance a stealth aircraft or naval unit can fire missiles from outside of enemy territory and remain unseen.

A good way to clear out the anti-air in an area in a region is too fire some missiles into that area,watch for them (the enemy anti-air) to show themselves as they fire at those missiles,than target and destory them with more missiles .Kind of like a wild weasel approach.

2. Fast Unit Build Option: At the start of a scenario or a campaign that's one of the options you can select. In game it seems to make no difference for unit build times whether this has been activated or not, what gives?

Dont know ,never used it,sorry.Im sure someone will know though.

3. Someone posted that entrenching units in cities helps the DAR, does it?

Helps the dar ?Hmm, i dont think so,but i could be wrong.It does reduce guerilla and parts spawns though

4. Commodity prices seem to be different on different maps. Is that true and if yes, why?

I would say yes, though ive never kept track to know for sure.its probably a balance and region issue preset by the devs

5. Production to demand seems to be off, often I still produce more than I need, any way to fix that?

Some commodities and resources in some cases, especially those used in power generation will produce more than the demand becuase the as the thoery goes,demand is not a constant known number.So the demand number for resource that are used in power production can be off becuase the program cant forsee the correct usage.
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=
Uriens figured it out and explained it here.Now i cant say for surethe theory is correct, but i am a believer.

No known fix to make demand =demand.However you can use the production slider to move the production to a precentage below demand ,so that production does equal demand.

On a brighter note, for once I have been able to get an economy going that can rely entirely on the domestic market. In a campaign game as Japan, on the second map, I'm making just under two billion a day without exporting anything!
Chuckle TM
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Garrisoning a city has no effect on DAR (at least nothing that I can remember). As mentioned, it protects against partisan units and the like.
A good way to clear out the anti-air in an area in a region is too fire some missiles into that area,watch for them (the enemy anti-air) to show themselves as they fire at those missiles,than target and destory them with more missiles .Kind of like a wild weasel approach.
Hmmm, interesting strategy. I've added that to my list.

-- George.

Return to “General Discussion”