All about Unit HUDs

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

In general military parlance, a "HUD" is a "Heads Up Display", indicating something akin to a see-through overlay that can show additional information and data in front of the pilot/driver/soldier/etc.

In computer game terminology, a "HUD" is a graphic overlay on top of the game graphics - for instance, in a first-person shooter the HUD would show data such as health, ammo, etc, over the game scene.

For units on a game map, the HUD represents the additional data to show about the unit - strength, ownership, ammo, whatever. There are various ways of doing this, and our question of the day is to get some feedback on some of the unit HUD ideas we've been tossing around.

One of the complicating factors we have to take into account are that units in SR2010 can be stacked.

Our most recent designs have centered around the "keep it simple" concept, making a cleaner looking map view. (HUD details can also be hidden by game option, if so desired.)

Below are two examples of our unit HUD concepts:
ImageImage

In the first, the bars at the side represent the strenghts of each unit in the stack (one bar per unit). On the second, the upper chevron ('v') only shows if there is a stack, and the strength is shown using numbers or a strength bar in the box.

In both, the oval disc represents the ownership, and is drawn either in the colour of the owner region, or else in green for yours, red for enemy, yellow for neutral.

Other options are also to draw the units themselves in a colour tint, or to have a colour highlight on each unit (ie colour side panels that match the player colour, similar to Age of Empires etc).

So, now is the time for some input from all of you: what do you think, ideas, suggestions, etc - speak up!

-- George.
<Lead Programmer, BattleGoat Studios>
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Oh yea, and before the comments of "can't see, it's too small", those are the regular sizes for units on the map. It got a bit fuzzier because of the JPEG image, but as for sizing that is what there is as far as available space around the unit graphic.

Also, the suggestions regarding the colour disc behind the unit involve outlining it in a bright colour when the units are 'selected' (ie selected for giving orders to, or inspecting the details of, etc)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: George Geczy on 2002-07-19 22:37 ]</font>
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

I must say I tend to like the right picture more than the left.That is because the different strenghts of the units in the stack are very hard to distinguish.And this way it takes some time to read the HUD,time that you like to spend on other areas.
I think the most valuable information that cny be easily shown in the HUD is if the unit is stacked or not.And in order to declutter the screen I would suggest that a small or medium dot would suffice.A simple dot isnt hard to look at and after a question if the unit is stacked or not is a simple true or false thing.And how many units are stacked may be simply shown in number in the dot.I believe this would look very clean.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Furthermore,I believe that it isnt the HUDs intention to show ALL information available for the unit but only those which are needed right now in a battle(just lets assume the worst case).The dot may of course have different colours(I dont know if it can interfere with anything else though) depending on the strenght,ammo or moral of a sinlge unit or the whole stack.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Not a lot of response on the unit HUDs!

I think I should have given this topic a more interesting name instead. Maybe in place of 'HUD' I should have called it the "Status Equipment eXtension", as in "All about Unit SEX"...

-- George.
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

"SEX".... Someone said SEX :grin:
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

Now you are talking :smile: :razz:
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

Actually George either ideals are good just i have a question?

The color disc is going to represent the owners nation right now what if you are a RED color Nation and you in combat with the enemy what color are you going to use for them we know red can be designated to be enemy as it is normally done that way in other games unless you are going to make different shades of red but then you have the problems with the pple who are color blind and as i see it your game is going to be very heavy into color coding. Big problem we have here dont you?

Now on the stacking what is wrong in having a bar system on the right of the icon and the number on the left of the icon. Now you can see if you have 50 airplane in a stack and there strength should just be averaged out among the whole stack. Because your units is only as strong as the weakest unit you have in the stack.

Well im going back to reading more stuff on this forum and try to give some more crazy input.

DEMON OUT :cool:
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Well we certainly don't want to be taken to task by the powerful colour-blind lobby groups... but ignore the colour-blind for just a moment, we'll still need to use colour in such a way as it's clear what belongs to whom...

Using both bars and strength numbers together might result in just a bit too much clutter, though...

-- George.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

As long as I can see the unit and who owns it and some guide as to its strength then I'm happy.

Is it possible to click on the unit to get more information?

Just to be a real nusiance, could you provide both systems selectable as an either/or option...or is that too much work?

Provided I can get info via a click on the unit, I would be happy with the second system, similar to Civ2 where the unit shield indicates owner - although they manage to show strength and ownership at the same time, but that system doesn't have to deal with stacks of units!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 3iff on 2002-07-25 01:11 ]</font>
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Is it possible to click on the unit to get more information?
Clicking on a unit/unit stack will provide more information, and double-clicking will provide a detail popup screen that will let you scroll through all units in the stack and see as much information as you have available on the units.

-- George.
steevodeevo
Corporal

Post by steevodeevo »

Bit late responding -sorry

Not sure it matters all that much, and you are asking a lot as it is really only possible to determine whats best once you have played it a while.

What I can say is:
-the graphics look very nice and sharp.
-don't see the point of chevrons - i dont associate chevrons with stacks (is it just me?) do you see more stacked v's if more planes etc in the stack?
- what about a sort of drop shadow on the ownership disk illustrating both owner and stacking?

question - will the stack strength be the total value of all the unit strengths - in other words does a stack function as one overstrength unit or is it more subtle?
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

question - will the stack strength be the total value of all the unit strengths - in other words does a stack function as one overstrength unit or is it more subtle?
This thread has been a bit quiet for a bit, but I gave it a read through today as I'm about to implement our HUD graphics.

Reqarding the question asked at the end about stack strength, units inside a stack will still function as independent units. As well, an attacker can only shoot at one unit at a time, so untargetted units in a stack will not be subject to damage or supression. (Exception to this is indirect fire, such as strategic bombing and artillery, which is not target-specific and will damage the entire hex).

Units in a stack can also act independently as far as pursue or retreat orders, etc.

-- George.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Can we see a version of what stacked units look like icon wise ?
Im curious if that is one unit type,how are more than one shown in the same stack ?

I realized fater typing this even I wanst sure what I was aksing.

SO-

How will we know by the icon what TYPE of units are in a stack if only one type picture shows ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tkobo on 2002-08-31 05:57 ]</font>
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

How will we know by the icon what TYPE of units are in a stack if only one type picture shows ?
Well, that's actually a very good question! Or more to the point, that's a good problem!

There is no good way of graphically showing what units are underneath the top of the stack. Currently, this is what is done:

- The strongest unit in the stack defaults to 'on top'.
- All units are drawn, so you may see some of the bottom unit(s) showing around the edges of the top one (though this isn't really very useful)
- When you click on a stack, you will see a list of units by name that you can scroll through. As you scroll through the list, the highlighted unit will 'go to the top', so you can see what it is.

-- George.

Return to “General Discussion”