Why...?

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Pandora's Last Ray
Warrant Officer

Why...?

Post by Pandora's Last Ray »

I couldn't help but notice in playing from Wisconsin to North America that I've inherited a bunch of Ohios from the other regions, but... I can't build them. They aren't listed as an obscolete unit, but they have never been a research item either even as North America.

Also, I noticed one time that the research minister wanted to add a nuclear missile that was not available in the missile list (yes, WMD's was checked). I've research it, but I can't help but wonder of the same thing happened to the Ohio?

Finally, why is the sub-launched Trident useless in attacking soft targets? It has something like 1500 attack vs hard and 7000 vs facilities, but only 50 vs soft targets. That makes no sense to me.
“The government must now dissolve the people and elect a new one.”

– Bertold Brecht
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Why...?

Post by Balthagor »

Pandora's Last Ray wrote:...bunch of Ohios...
I didn't understand what the problem was. Is it that you cannot research them?
Pandora's Last Ray wrote:...I noticed one time that the research minister wanted to add a nuclear missile that was not available in the missile list ...
The minister may suggest obsolete designs if he thinks they are actually the best choice according to your quality/quantiy and offece/defence choices.
Pandora's Last Ray wrote:...why is the sub-launched Trident useless in attacking soft targets? It has something like 1500 attack vs hard and 7000 vs facilities, but only 50 vs soft targets...
This was identified as a bug in the stats before, but I believe it was fixed in update 6...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Pandora's Last Ray
Warrant Officer

Balthagor wrote:
Pandora's Last Ray wrote:...bunch of Ohios...
I didn't understand what the problem was. Is it that you cannot research them?
I can neither research nor build them. They simply aren't available on my North America campaign.

Also, I have noticed my MLRS and subs keep trying to keep returning to base, too. Except this was also supposed to be fixed in update 6, like with the Trident? I'm very sure that I DL'd and installed that update so I don't understand why this is happening.

– Bertold Brecht
Pandora's Last Ray
Warrant Officer

OK, it turns out that I only have update version 4.6 installed. I checked your update manager to get the 6.0 update but it tells me that I have the "most current update" at v 4.6. Is there some other way to get update 6.0?

– Bertold Brecht
red
General

Post by red »

4.6 is Update 6, 4 being the game version and 6 being the update.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Pandora's Last Ray wrote:I can neither research nor build them. They simply aren't available on my North America campaign...
You said you checked if they where obsolete, have you checked if they where replaced?

Pandora's Last Ray wrote:Also, I have noticed my MLRS and subs keep trying to keep returning to base...
I'd need exact details here. Artillery will return to base if they end up in an enemy or neutral hex. Subs will return to base if out of supplies.
Pandora's Last Ray wrote:I'm very sure that I DL'd and installed that update so I don't understand why this is happening.
Update 6 brings the game to 4.6.1. Did you start this game before updating? The updated version stops things from being lost from the research queue but it cannot repair games where the bug has already occured...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
powercell
Colonel

Post by powercell »

Pandora's Last Ray wrote:I can neither research nor build them. They simply aren't available on my North America campaign.

Like Balthagor explained, it may be the unit filter. Check both obsoleted and replaced should show all available unit designs. Or they might have been offered from WM.
Pandora's Last Ray wrote:Also, I have noticed my MLRS and subs keep trying to keep returning to base, too. Except this was also supposed to be fixed in update 6, like with the Trident? I'm very sure that I DL'd and installed that update so I don't understand why this is happening.
At the start of the game, naval units will do that most of the time. I think, it's because of the military initiative setting (under Strategic Operation, default at 100 at the start), especially when the unit is deployed outside of control water. Well, units won't move if you don't touch them, but they will be called back to base as soon as you click on them. I haven't notice that MSLR would do that too. Turn down (most people set to zero) the initiative if you don't want the minister to interfere with your command.
Pandora's Last Ray
Warrant Officer

Yes I've looked through the unit filters looking through ALL units I have, none excluded, including viewing obscolet and replaced units, and the Ohio still isn't available anywhere.

Also, I generally keep the minister initiative at 50, unless I'm setting it to 100 to get units near an AI's region to attack that region. But I'm going to have to change that strategy because the AI mostly just parks full stacks of infantry on my bridges and tanks on my bases despite the "prepare to attack" policy and other measures to try to make them actually hit the enemy.

On a sidenote though, South America surrendered the half continent they had left when I started sending my Texas fleets through their coasts and the minister AI had nothing to do with that.

– Bertold Brecht
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I checked and the Ohio is replaced by the Pennsilvanya...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

Although Balthagor did answer this question in the post above... some units will never be found as able to be researched because some countries buy from other countries. A country will have some unit that they can't build or research. You can try to trade for the designs or build something else.
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

And I have even seen [rarely] situations where you may have one or two of a unit that is local to your region, but beyond your current tech level. This is always interesting.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

Yes, that is sometimes due to your country splitting apart. You could build it, and can when you get your tech back up. Other times it could be an error in setting up the unit. Making sure that 2000 units are all at proper tech levels in each of their available 200+ starting regions can have the error or two. However, the game was in 2010. Much can happen in a few years. :wink:
Pandora's Last Ray
Warrant Officer

Ok, I've checked again and there's still no Ohio or Pennsilvania. I started my campaign as Wisconsin and am now on the world map scenario with a tech rating of 116.

On another note, I finished the cold fusion research, and it doesn't seem to do anything for my 20+ fusion plants.

– Bertold Brecht
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Pandora's Last Ray wrote:Ok, I've checked again and there's still no Ohio or Pennsilvania. I started my campaign as Wisconsin and am now on the world map scenario with a tech rating of 116.

On another note, I finished the cold fusion research, and it doesn't seem to do anything for my 20+ fusion plants.
If you'd like, send me the savegame and I'll check it out (plus compress it with Zip or Rar). chris@battlegoat.com

As for the fusion plants, are they at 100%? There is a known bug listed in the bug section that plants at 100% strength do not get the cold fusion bonus. Scrap them for one day and it will work fine.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Pandora's Last Ray
Warrant Officer

e-mail was sent, so if you don't get it within a couple hours...

Yes the fusion plants are 100%. I suppose I'll try scrapping for 1 day then building back up to 1 day left to build.

– Bertold Brecht

Return to “General Discussion”